2012 Ecoboost Raptor is it going to happen

steeltoe

Established Member
With gas prices going up and all Raptors going to see $100 fill up this summer. Do you think Ford will put the Ecoboost in the Raptor. Discuss

Dusten

Established Member
If they did, i wouldnt want it. I want instant torque from my off roader, not small displacement and little turbos

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
If they did, i wouldnt want it. I want instant torque from my off roader, not small displacement and little turbos

Have you driven anything with an EB in it? You'd be surprised. I think it would be sweet in a raptor. I live at 7600 ft and would love me some turbos on my truck. My 400 hp Raptor is now a 300 hp Raptor because it has to breath thin air haha.

tallguy2.3

Established Member
Considering the EB is better than the 5.4 in most every way and the 5.4 was offered in the Raptor, I don't think it would be crazy to think the EB could be offered. I would like to see it.
Plus upgrades would be pretty simple. Downpipes, maybe a tune, and horsepower abounds!

steeltoe

Established Member
Considering the EB is better than the 5.4 in most every way and the 5.4 was offered in the Raptor, I don't think it would be crazy to think the EB could be offered. I would like to see it.
Plus upgrades would be pretty simple. Downpipes, maybe a tune, and horsepower abounds!

I've already got my mods planned. inlet and down pipes, porting, and tune.

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member

Have you driven anything with an EB in it? You'd be surprised. I think it would be sweet in a raptor. I live at 7600 ft and would love me some turbos on my truck. My 400 hp Raptor is now a 300 hp Raptor because it has to breath thin air haha.

+100000. Don't pass off the 3.5 EB till you drive one. I test drove all the 2011 lineup at the Ford Drive event last October, and going in I was all excited to drive the 6.2, going home all I could talk about was the 3.5. The 6.2 felt better off the line for the first 60' by a marginal amount, but by 60' out the 3.5 EB was pulling harder and caught up to the 6.2 in the 1/8th. Full 1/4 it would have had it. Yeah slight weight difference, blah blah blah, nobody's saying the 6.2 shouldnt' be offered any longer, but having the 3.5 as a secondary engine would be an awesome choice! Same exact tow ratings as the 6.2, better torque curve, better mileage, little cheaper cost, and so far seems like excellent durability as well. Anyone who hasn't watched the ecoboost torture test challenge on Ford's website, google it and watch them now, you'll be impressed! Hoping ford offers the 3.5 EB in the 2012 Raptor, I'm holding off on buying a 2011 with the hopes the 2012 will offer the 3.5!

Yep, for the $1500 or so cheaper the 3.5 is than the 6.2, that'd buy a few basic bolt on mods to bump the power up to equal or surpass the 6.2, for the same upfront cost, and still better mileage. And anyone who says "big deal its only 4-5 mpg better, whats that like an extra $100-$150 a month", well it does add up. $100-$150 a month is an extra $1200-$1800/yr in fuel (I can buy a nice pile of mods for $2k at the end of the year in saved fuel costs for the same performance!), and 4-5 mpg difference doesn't sound like much? Wack 4-5 mpg off what the 6.2 gets now and most would take it like a kick to the nuts. 6-7 mpg on a truck? Even 8-9 mpg. Completely unacceptable! The 11-14 rating on the 6.2 is pretty crappy. I'll take 11-14 mpg if it's laying down 500 rwhp stock. For just around 400 crank, I expect high teens and low 20's on the highway.

Jroc

Established Member
I sure hope not.

Ford needs to quit F'in around, and do what they said they were going to do 2 or 3 years ago, and add DI to the new 5.0. Adding a couple of snails would also be nice. That will boost performance and gas mileage, and better appease people who want v8's in their $45K+ full-size trucks.

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
thats a much further stretch though than asking for a 3.5 EB in the Raptor though. Its already developed, its already offered in the same body configuration, all they need to do is whatever minor tweaks for the Raptor specific calibration on the trans, or whatever else.

Maybe down the road we'll see a 5.0L EB (make one killer Gen 3 L), but in the mean time, between the 6.2 V8 thats more similar to the outgoing 4.6 and 5.4, or the 3.5L EB....I'd take the 3.5 EB without hesitation after having driven one! (note, my opinion was completely 180* of this before driving the 3.5 EB!)

Mastertvtech

Established Member
I spoke with an Engineer who works with the Raptor development team and he confirmed there are no plans of EB in the Raptor. He did offer me a friends and family discount though.....I am very tempted. You guys have awesome rides!

Jroc

Established Member
thats a much further stretch though than asking for a 3.5 EB in the Raptor though. Its already developed, its already offered in the same body configuration, all they need to do is whatever minor tweaks for the Raptor specific calibration on the trans, or whatever else.

Maybe down the road we'll see a 5.0L EB (make one killer Gen 3 L), but in the mean time, between the 6.2 V8 thats more similar to the outgoing 4.6 and 5.4, or the 3.5L EB....I'd take the 3.5 EB without hesitation after having driven one! (note, my opinion was completely 180* of this before driving the 3.5 EB!)

I just add the whole snail thing in there after typing all that out. What Ford really needs to do is add DI to the 5.0 like they said they would do. I personally would never buy a $30K+ truck with a v6 regardless of how good it is or isn't.

BTW why the hell is the 3.5 the EB motor instead of the 3.7 when the 3.7 is a updated version of the N/A 3.5 that the EB is built off of?

steeltoe

Established Member
I sure hope not.

Ford needs to quit F'in around, and do what they said they were going to do 2 or 3 years ago, and add DI to the new 5.0. Adding a couple of snails would also be nice. That will boost performance and gas mileage, and better appease people who want v8's in their $45K+ full-size trucks.
That kind of defeats the purpose of Eco-Boost

The EB has already been installed in a Raptor. Remember Ford raced it at Baja.
I spoke with an Engineer who works with the Raptor development team and he confirmed there are no plans of EB in the Raptor. He did offer me a friends and family discount though.....I am very tempted. You guys have awesome rides!
Not saying your wrong but that is going to be a closely guarded secret.
I just add the whole snail thing in there after typing all that out. What Ford really needs to do is add DI to the 5.0 like they said they would do. I personally would never buy a $30K+ truck with a v6 regardless of how good it is or isn't.

BTW why the hell is the 3.5 the EB motor instead of the 3.7 when the 3.7 is a updated version of the N/A 3.5 that the EB is built off of?
The 3.5 and 3.7 are like the 4.6 and 5.4 exactly the same except for displacement.

Jroc

Established Member
That kind of defeats the purpose of Eco-Boost

The 3.5 and 3.7 are like the 4.6 and 5.4 exactly the same except for displacement.

Throwing Ecoboost is big, full-size trucks, and sport cars defeats the purpose of cool, awesome v8's.

I know they are the same other than their bore so why is Ford sticking with the older motor with the smaller bore?

steeltoe

Established Member
Throwing Ecoboost is big, full-size trucks, and sport cars defeats the purpose of cool, awesome v8's.

I know they are the same other than their bore so why is Ford sticking with the older motor with the smaller bore?

Why fix it if it's not broke.

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member

Adding DI isn't as simple as just tossing it on there. It's probably in the future plans, but for such a brand new engine, thats not something we'll see immediately, yet tossing a different existing drivetrain in could be an option.

You may have a tough time spending $30k+ on a truck with a V6 (even though its direct injection with twin turbos), yet I have a tough time spending $30k+ on a truck that has a naturally aspriated V8 with dismal gas mileage and only adequate horsepower. I either want a V8 with excessive power to match that excessive fuel consumption, or a V6 with twin turbos to make adequate horsepower, with above average fuel consumption. Its all part of the big picture.

The EB has already been installed in a Raptor. Remember Ford raced it at Baja.

Yep, and thats an arguement I've been bringing up many times on other boards about guys who say how worthless and horrible a TT setup is for baja racing (even though probably less than 1% of Raptors will see hardcore baja duty all the time, and the other 99%, probably 1% of their time will be offroading in those conditions, and the other 99% of the time on paved roads). The baja test Ford put the ecoboost through just shows how fully capable it is for a Raptor! Maybe not the TOP raptor engine choice, nobody's saying ditch the 6.2, but the 3.5 is a plenty capable option!

Thats spoken like the 6.2 makes the truck a tire shredding smoke billowing lightning-esque style truck. The 6.2 has power, but its not overly impressive coming from someone who's owned several supercharged 5.4's, even my bone stock '04 Lightning rated 380 hp felt 3 times faster than the 6.2 I test drove, and got the same mileage. And all that wasn't from a weight difference. The 3.5 is only slightly slower than the 6.2 off the line, then by 60' out is pulling harder than the 6.2, and in the 1/4 on identical combos I'd bet on the 3.5 any day of the week. Now what about cool sports cars? Forget about the grand national? One badazz turbo'ed V6! A v6 by itself is lame I'll agree, but slapping twins on it makes it equally as sport capable as a n/a V8.

As for why ford went with the smaller displacement V6 to do the ecoboost on, if they did it to the 3.7 it would probably make MORE power than the 6.2 does. The 6.2 is marketed as their top engine. The 3.5 ecoboost falls in 2nd for power ratings (barely lower on tq than the 6.2, yet with a better torque curve), and has identical towing capability. If Ford did a 3.7 ecoboost instead, the 3.5 as the n/a V6 would be too underpowered, it'd be harder to market the 6.2 as the premium engine if it made less power than the 3.7 EB, and the 3.7 EB would be harder to market since it would get poorer fuel economy than the 3.5 EB variant. It's all a balance. The way they're setup now, the 3.7 n/a is sufficient power wise for a base engine, the 3.5 EB is optimal for fuel economy and nearly top on power, leaving just enough margin for the 6.2 to justify the top dollar engine choice for a slight improvement in power. Lots of marketing decisions....

Users who are viewing this thread