2012 Ecoboost Raptor is it going to happen

Jroc

Established Member
Sorry guy but I an just not impressed with Ecoboost. Any fool can make a boosted motor to make power.
Here is a video of a 5.0 F150 crew wearing out a Ecoboost F150 supercab. I don't care if he got the jump or not the Ecoboost did nothing to stop the 5.0 pulling him.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyQ2WW7fx18"]YouTube - 2011 F-150 Ecoboost Vs 2011 F-150 5.0L[/nomedia]

Look a raptor is a big, heavy 6,000+ lb truck riding on 35's. It's not going to be fast without a whole lot of power. I have a love hate thing for the 6.2. I feel that that motor has a ton of power potential. Let someone build one, and throw some boost at it and it will have crazy HP. With that said the motor is way too much of a porker to be considered a good motor for performance apps. I've heard it weighs abot 165 lbs more than a 3v 5.4 which is ridiculous.

I'm sorry but comparing this motor to the ones in GN's, and Sy/Ty's is not a good comparison. I don't see this motor making a reliable 600/700 HP in it's factory state. Small displacement + cast internals typically does not = great HP potential. I'm all for I6's, but I do not like V6's at least not in American performance cars, and full-size truck that aren't base models. I would rather have a I4 than a V6.

Ford said 3/4 years ago that the new 5.0 was going to be developed to take DI, and would be recieving it short after its introduction. It seems like since then they have throw their cards at(prioritized) Ecoboost.

Last edited:

steeltoe

Established Member
Ford has openly admitted that 3.5EB is seriously held back. I don't have any doubt that there is a test mule 3.5EB at Ford that makes more power then the 6.2L and 5.0L(mustang spec)

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Ford has openly admitted that 3.5EB is seriously held back. I don't have any doubt that there is a test mule 3.5EB at Ford that makes more power then the 6.2L and 5.0L(mustang spec)

The motor itself may be capable of more, but those tiny GT15 turbos need upgrading. On the SHO's, they already turn into hot blow dryers with not much added bost. Livernois talked about this in a separate thread.

Sorry guy but I an just not impressed with Ecoboost. Any fool can make a boosted motor to make power.
Here is a video of a 5.0 F150 crew wearing out a Ecoboost F150 supercab. I don't care if he got the jump or not the Ecoboost did nothing to stop the 5.0 pulling him.
YouTube - 2011 F-150 Ecoboost Vs 2011 F-150 5.0L

That vid, doesn't prove much IMO. All I saw was one truck taking off really early, followed by a 300ft race. It takes big power to stop a holeshot in such a short race.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
That vid, doesn't prove much IMO. All I saw was one truck taking off really early, followed by a 300ft race. It takes big power to stop a holeshot in such a short race.

Wrong.

Not when you are talking about the type of power/powerband that the Ecoboost is hyped to produce. I'm hearing mid/low 14 second ET's out of these trucks, and a full second faster ET's than the 5.0's. BS. That was maybe 2 or 3 tenths of a second that he got jumped on at the most. He got yanked. I would stop lesser performance cars pulls in their tracks with my Terminator given traction and being in the right gear. Oh yeah the new regular cab Ecoboost trucks aren't Lightnings either. People need to get that thought out of their heads.

ChrisMustang

Established Member
If they did, i wouldnt want it. I want instant torque from my off roader, not small displacement and little turbos

We have some EB F150s and let me tell you, there is instant torque, this engine is a monster.

For Raptor duty Ford just needs to retune the computer to not hold it back in the upper end. It would be a great Raptor engine, just needs some exaust tuning it is super quiet in the F150.

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
YouTube - 2011 F-150 Ecoboost Vs 2011 F-150 5.0L

Thats a 5.0 beating a 3.7, NOT an ecoboost, AND the 5.0 was a full trucklength out before the other guy even stepped on it. I attended a Ford Drive event and ran that same setup in Aberdeen MD, most people there had NEVER drag raced before and had no idea how to launch, or ever really floored a vehicle from a dead stop. A video of a completely random run at the event is a worthless comparison. Heck even my parents came along to joy ride some new trucks and it could have been my mom in that blue truck who can't even reach the floor all the way lol. Having driven all the trucks 1st hand, the 5.0 felt like a naturally aspriated 5.4 from the outgoing trucks, nothing really special power wise. The 3.5 EB was a slight bit slower off the line than the 6.2, but pulled harder by 60' out and tied with the 6.2 in that 1/8th mile course 50% of the time. You want a real comparison, post a pic of the score board from a Ford Drive event of top times for the day. 1/2 would be 3.5 EB, half would be 6.2. VERY close trucks in the 1/8th. 6.2 off the line, EB up top. A full 1/4 the EB would win hands down.

So nice try on that vid, but try again :lol1:

Look a raptor is a big, heavy 6,000+ lb truck riding on 35's. It's not going to be fast without a whole lot of power. I have a love hate thing for the 6.2. I feel that that motor has a ton of power potential.

Torque is what gets you moving, and the 3.5 EB is only 14 ft-lbs of torque less than the 6.2 with a better torque curve to begin with. Yeah 35" tires, but 4.10 gears offsets that pretty fast. The 365 hp or whatever the 3.5 EB comes with is 5 more hp than the 99-00 Lightnings came with, not so shabby in comparison now huh? Also try towing with the 3.5 EB, if it didn't have enough power to move a 6k lb Raptor, then it wouldn't have enough power to have the EXACT SAME tow rating as the 6.2. I've towed with the 3.5 EB, pulls like a dream, that torque curve is the shiznit for towing! Puts my supercharged 5.4L truck to shame towing.

The motor itself may be capable of more, but those tiny GT15 turbos need upgrading. On the SHO's, they already turn into hot blow dryers with not much added bost. Livernois talked about this in a separate thread.

The turbo's only need upgrading if you're turning the truck into a race truck which 99% of owners aren't going to do. Slap a few bolt-on mods, the average owner will probably spend $1500 in go-fast mods and stop there. THat'd be enough for an intake, downpipe, catback, and a tune and make the same power as a 6.2. People keep saying "oh do heads and cams in a 6.2 and make 500-600 hp yadda yadda yadda", apparently none of these people have messed with a mod motor in recent years and realize the expenses it costs to go to that extreme, and the labor to do that work on modern engines. Not a 350 chevy with pushrods and a single cam and a massive engine bay to swap off some aftermarket heads that also fit 27 other models with the identical engine. You're looking at big $$$$$$$ to do any head & cam work and its not a practical or common place mod for a new vehicle like slapping an intake and tune on something is now days.

Longstory short, watch the ford torture tests of the 3.5 EB, they towed 11,300 lbs for 24 hours straight at WOT the entire time, turbos GLOWING red, zero issues. The 3.5 EB flatout performs!

As for that other video linked on youtube, lol yep absolutely worthless. Trucklength jump in an 1/8th mile run, no idea if both drivers were even trying to race WOT, and not even an EB truck. Heck at that event it was the 1st time you got into the truck, you drove around 1 or 2 turns then pulled up to the drag race section. I still hadn't even had my seat adjusted by the time I pulled up to the drag race part the 1st time, and I didn't even realize till the 2nd time they had a christmas tree setup to start the race, too busy checking out the interior of the new trucks.

Wrong.

Not when you are talking about the type of power/powerband that the Ecoboost is hyped to produce. I'm hearing mid/low 14 second ET's out of these trucks, and a full second faster ET's than the 5.0's. BS. That was maybe 2 or 3 tenths of a second that he got jumped on at the most. He got yanked. I would stop lesser performance cars pulls in their tracks with my Terminator given traction and being in the right gear. Oh yeah the new regular cab Ecoboost trucks aren't Lightnings either. People need to get that thought out of their heads.

Mid-low 14's is VERY impressive. Thats what 2002-2003 Harley F-150 trucks run with supercharged 5.4's! To do that with a 3.5L V6 is impressive.

Ford should do a Gen 3 lightning with an ecoboost in a regularcab short bed truck....that may catch my attention more than a Raptor as my next truck! lol

Jroc

Established Member
Thats a 5.0 beating a 3.7, NOT an ecoboost, AND the 5.0 was a full trucklength out before the other guy even stepped on it. I attended a Ford Drive event and ran that same setup in Aberdeen MD, most people there had NEVER drag raced before and had no idea how to launch, or ever really floored a vehicle from a dead stop. A video of a completely random run at the event is a worthless comparison. Heck even my parents came along to joy ride some new trucks and it could have been my mom in that blue truck who can't even reach the floor all the way lol. Having driven all the trucks 1st hand, the 5.0 felt like a naturally aspriated 5.4 from the outgoing trucks, nothing really special power wise. The 3.5 EB was a slight bit slower off the line than the 6.2, but pulled harder by 60' out and tied with the 6.2 in that 1/8th mile course 50% of the time. You want a real comparison, post a pic of the score board from a Ford Drive event of top times for the day. 1/2 would be 3.5 EB, half would be 6.2. VERY close trucks in the 1/8th. 6.2 off the line, EB up top. A full 1/4 the EB would win hands down.

So nice try on that vid, but try again :lol1:

So you take the word of some guy posting comments on Youtube named candainboil1918 that did even post the video as fact? He says you can't see the Ecoboost badge so it's a 3.7 truck. Have you ever considered that it's crappy video taken from far off? Try again.

It's pretty funny how people are bragging about the Ecoboost lowend torque and huge curve, but says the 6.2 beats it out the hole, but the Ecoboost catches up, and beats it on topend where it is both making quite a bit less peak numbers, and it's numbers start to fall off much sooner than the 6.2's. IDK if I too much trust that.

Torque is what gets you moving, and the 3.5 EB is only 14 ft-lbs of torque less than the 6.2 with a better torque curve to begin with. Yeah 35" tires, but 4.10 gears offsets that pretty fast. The 365 hp or whatever the 3.5 EB comes with is 5 more hp than the 99-00 Lightnings came with, not so shabby in comparison now huh? Also try towing with the 3.5 EB, if it didn't have enough power to move a 6k lb Raptor, then it wouldn't have enough power to have the EXACT SAME tow rating as the 6.2. I've towed with the 3.5 EB, pulls like a dream, that torque curve is the shiznit for towing! Puts my supercharged 5.4L truck to shame towing.

Torque is great, but it's way overrated for performance apps. Yes overrate. Important, and great for work vehicles like trucks, but for performance vehicles it's overrated. If you take two identical vehicles with everything the same(gearing, weight, tires, drivers, etc) other than one has maybe 500 hp/400 lb-ft, and the other has 400 hp/500lb-ft the vehicle with the HP advantage would beat it every time in a heads up race. I don't care what you want to argue that's just how it would work. The fact that it makes barely any more HP than a 99 Lightning is very unimpressive. You are comparing it to a motor from 1999 when 400 HP was considered a whole lot for a performance vehicle and one that came with very uneffecent heads, and blower. The old 5.4 has a tow rating within 100 lbs of both the Ecoboost, and 6.2, and more that the 5.0 so don't let the power/tow figure impress you too much. Apparently the Ecoboost isn't good enough for SD.

The turbo's only need upgrading if you're turning the truck into a race truck which 99% of owners aren't going to do. Slap a few bolt-on mods, the average owner will probably spend $1500 in go-fast mods and stop there. THat'd be enough for an intake, downpipe, catback, and a tune and make the same power as a 6.2. People keep saying "oh do heads and cams in a 6.2 and make 500-600 hp yadda yadda yadda", apparently none of these people have messed with a mod motor in recent years and realize the expenses it costs to go to that extreme, and the labor to do that work on modern engines. Not a 350 chevy with pushrods and a single cam and a massive engine bay to swap off some aftermarket heads that also fit 27 other models with the identical engine. You're looking at big $$$$$$$ to do any head & cam work and its not a practical or common place mod for a new vehicle like slapping an intake and tune on something is now days.

Longstory short, watch the ford torture tests of the 3.5 EB, they towed 11,300 lbs for 24 hours straight at WOT the entire time, turbos GLOWING red, zero issues. The 3.5 EB flatout performs!

As for that other video linked on youtube, lol yep absolutely worthless. Trucklength jump in an 1/8th mile run, no idea if both drivers were even trying to race WOT, and not even an EB truck. Heck at that event it was the 1st time you got into the truck, you drove around 1 or 2 turns then pulled up to the drag race section. I still hadn't even had my seat adjusted by the time I pulled up to the drag race part the 1st time, and I didn't even realize till the 2nd time they had a christmas tree setup to start the race, too busy checking out the interior of the new trucks.

Why would you add head/cam mods to the 6.2 when in a year or so you will probably have FI mods out there that will make it blow the Ecoboost out the water? You do need to realize something hear. A modern 6.2L v8 with a 4.015" bore has way more potential than a modern 3.5L v6.

Why is that torque test any more impressive than any other torture test? You don't think all these new vehicles get pushed to the extremes to test there standards. Yes that weight puts a heavy load on the motor, but the other motor from every manufacture have to be push while meeting there rating also. A Terminator motors torture test was it had to stand up to a continuous 300 hours at WOT.

Until you have evidence that the truck in that video isn't Ecoboost you should stop assuming. The OP of the video claims it is so I would take his word.

Mid-low 14's is VERY impressive. Thats what 2002-2003 Harley F-150 trucks run with supercharged 5.4's! To do that with a 3.5L V6 is impressive.

Ford should do a Gen 3 lightning with an ecoboost in a regularcab short bed truck....that may catch my attention more than a Raptor as my next truck! lol

Why? Hemi Ram, Tundra's probably 6.2L GM's can do that also. 99 Silverado owners brag that their 4.8L trucks can outrun Gen 1 L's. Is that impressive?

I hate to insult you too bad, but your last idea is straight up moronic. Why in the hell should Ford take a motor that's already being pushed pretty hard(max boost is 17 psi) into a truck that was deemed too heavy to make a good performance vehicle by the man himself John Coletti? Especially when Ford has several other v8 platform that when modded would obliterate the Ecoboosts performance. You S/C or TT a 5.0 or 6.2, and it would destroy the Ecoboosts performance, and if you want to play in the new GC SRT8's field you will need more than Ecoboost. Ecoboost in a regular cab F150 wouldn't perform as well as a Gen 2 L.

Oh BTW I was reading where turners are having to have owners sign releases to get there SHO's tuned as Ford is frowning on the new Ecoboost vehicles being modded for some reason.
[ame=http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63377]Tuning ECO-BOOST F150 - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com[/ame]
After a huge problem with an Ecoboost SHO Ford frowns on tuning or modifying the Ecoboost platform. I would highly suggest not modifying it unless you dont care about the warranty. We did one SHO here locally and had to have the owner sign a release.

Just a heads up.

JJ

Last edited:

tallguy2.3

Established Member
I've driven many a 5.4 and a few EB trucks now and the EB "feels" like it would destroy the 5.4. Have I line up a couple next to eachother? Nope.

AAG

Established Member
5.0 ecoboost is what it needs. The 3.5 ecoboost is impressive, but I wouldn't buy one because I love the sound of a v8.

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
So you take the word of some guy posting comments on Youtube named candainboil1918 that did even post the video as fact? He says you can't see the Ecoboost badge so it's a 3.7 truck. Have you ever considered that it's crappy video taken from far off? Try again.

Take your choice...
1. taking his word
2. I was AT the event as well and drove those trucks myself
3. The EB badge does stand out so you would have seen it if it was an EB

This is the very truck that was in that video...notice the rear window...Ford put decals on the rear driver window of each truck so people would know which engine at a quick glance when they were hopping in various trucks to take around the course...

2011f1504.jpg

Here's a 3.5 EB truck from the towing challenge, I actually drove that exact one, a platinum, the EB badge stands out pretty bright

2011f1502-550x331.jpg

It's pretty funny how people are bragging about the Ecoboost lowend torque and huge curve, but says the 6.2 beats it out the hole, but the Ecoboost catches up, and beats it on topend where it is both making quite a bit less peak numbers, and it's numbers start to fall off much sooner than the 6.2's. IDK if I too much trust that.

I trust it, I drove it and felt the difference. The 6.2 doesn't have turbos to spool so it has a marginally better kick off the line, the 3.5 EB takes a second to really feel that power and when you feel it, it feels stronger than the 6.2. I'm sure you can dig up the 1/8th mile stats from the Ford drive event, I wish I took a pic of the score board of the top times, 1/2 dozen were 6.2 and 1/2 dozen were 3.5 EB all intermixed, depended on the driver, but 1/8th mile it was pretty much a tossup whether the 6.2 or 3.5 would win. A full 1/4 I have no doubts the 3.5 would win with how much harder it was pulling on the top end.

Torque is great, but it's way overrated for performance apps. Yes overrate. Important, and great for work vehicles like trucks, but for performance vehicles it's overrated. If you take two identical vehicles with everything the same(gearing, weight, tires, drivers, etc) other than one has maybe 500 hp/400 lb-ft, and the other has 400 hp/500lb-ft the vehicle with the HP advantage would beat it every time in a heads up race. I don't care what you want to argue that's just how it would work. The fact that it makes barely any more HP than a 99 Lightning is very unimpressive. You are comparing it to a motor from 1999 when 400 HP was considered a whole lot for a performance vehicle and one that came with very uneffecent heads, and blower. The old 5.4 has a tow rating within 100 lbs of both the Ecoboost, and 6.2, and more that the 5.0 so don't let the power/tow figure impress you too much. Apparently the Ecoboost isn't good enough for SD.

I have TWO 5.4 trucks (three up until a couple months ago), and they tow like a dog. Coincidentally enough the tow load at the drive event is identical to what I tow myself ~6000-6500 lbs, and the 3.5 gave a much more solid feel without the struggling feeling the 5.4 has. The tow figure does impress, and its not just from me reading it. You seem to have read some stats and want to down play them all. I read the stats too at first and thought they were good but never thought much of a V6, then I drove it and my take took a 180*. You really need to drive one before you keep chitting on it.

Why would you add head/cam mods to the 6.2 when in a year or so you will probably have FI mods out there that will make it blow the Ecoboost out the water? You do need to realize something hear. A modern 6.2L v8 with a 4.015" bore has way more potential than a modern 3.5L v6.

FI mods....what all would that include? An intake and a tuner, which is already out now? Those same very mods can be added to the 3.5 EB, along with turning the wick up a little on the boost. Anyone who's owned N/A and forced induction vehicles knows that for those initial standard groups of mods, the forced induction setup responds to mods 10x's more than a N/A combo. If you meant FI by forced induction and adding a blower to a 6.2, you've already gone into that 1%'er range thats a moot point. Dropping $5-7k for a blower setup isn't a practical common place mod. Spending $1000-1500 for intake/tune/exhaust is, and the 3.5 will lay down an even more impressive number with those couple mods and not break the bank.

Absolute potential, I'm not disputing a 6.2 is a NASTY engine. My one truck is a 700 rwhp 5.4L engine, and I'd LOVE to eventually retrofit a 6.2 stroker motor. I don't know why so many 6.2 humpers only see one side of the arguement thought, that the 6.2 is almighty and everything else sucks dog turds, when reality is that while the 6.2 is a great engine with a lot of potential for building to the extreme, the 3.5 is no slouch either, and for its displacement, its a very impressive combination to get those power, towing, & fuel economy figures from.

Why is that torque test any more impressive than any other torture test? You don't think all these new vehicles get pushed to the extremes to test there standards. Yes that weight puts a heavy load on the motor, but the other motor from every manufacture have to be push while meeting there rating also. A Terminator motors torture test was it had to stand up to a continuous 300 hours at WOT.

Have you even watched the torture tests of the 3.5? Most manufactuers will do a dyno cell, and some prelim street miles, very few have ever done the dyno cell for 100k, then hauling 100k lbs of timber up mountain sides, then race for 24 hrs at WOT towing 11,300 lbs, then do uphill towing races against other competitors with larger engines and beat them, then run the baja1000, then redo the dynocell and verify identical power numbers after all the flogging, then do a teartown at an international autoshow for all to see the results. Even regardless of what others have done on their torture tests, thats a moot point as well. The fact the 3.5 did all those tests and stood up flawlessly just disproves anyones arguements of a V6 doesn't belong in a truck.

Until you have evidence that the truck in that video isn't Ecoboost you should stop assuming. The OP of the video claims it is so I would take his word.

Want me to post that pic again showing the blue truck was a 3.7 V6? :lol: Told you I wasn't assuming anything ;-)

Why? Hemi Ram, Tundra's probably 6.2L GM's can do that also. 99 Silverado owners brag that their 4.8L trucks can outrun Gen 1 L's. Is that impressive?

How many more worthless arguements you going to toss up? The Gen 1 L's are 15 second trucks stock, not all too fast. Most trucks now days fall in the 15 second range, some 16 second range (5.4's...yawn). To be running 14's in a truck is impressive. The 02-03 HD trucks were mid 14's stock, and one of the fastest screw's you'll encounter on the road other than an SRT-10 screw. Few bolt-on's and they're mid 13's...no reason a 3.5 EB also being forced induction won't respond similarly. ANY 6.2L SHOULD run a 14, but the fact that if a 3.5 V6 is running mid-14's, once again shows its doing something right there.

I hate to insult you too bad, but your last idea is straight up moronic. Why in the hell should Ford take a motor that's already being pushed pretty hard(max boost is 17 psi) into a truck that was deemed too heavy to make a good performance vehicle by the man himself John Coletti? Especially when Ford has several other v8 platform that when modded would obliterate the Ecoboosts performance. You S/C or TT a 5.0 or 6.2, and it would destroy the Ecoboosts performance, and if you want to play in the new GC SRT8's field you will need more than Ecoboost. Ecoboost in a regular cab F150 wouldn't perform as well as a Gen 2 L.

14's in a extended cab or screw can make 13's in a regular cab short bed 2wd config. Coletti did some great stuff, but if the truck was really deemed too heavy to make a good performance vehicle, Ford wouldn't have been able to make the Raptor a good offroading performance vehicle. Since a S/C or TT 5.0 or 6.2 doesn't even exist, you may as well wish for a 8.4 liter V10 with quad turbos and direct injection, that would smash everyone! Oh wait, doesn't exist, wishing on marshmallows and dreams again. Ford utilizing what they have already on market and designed could make one heck of a fun street truck with a 3.5 EB in a regular cab short bed 2wd config. Very little investment to create it, no need to have to shoot for the king of the hill with it, but still grab some share of the market for people wanting a sporty small truck with still decent mileage.

Oh BTW I was reading where turners are having to have owners sign releases to get there SHO's tuned as Ford is frowning on the new Ecoboost vehicles being modded for some reason.
Tuning ECO-BOOST F150 - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com

You've never been to a dyno yourself have you? Every single shop has owners sign a waiver before they do a tune and dyno, its called covering their azzes.

5.0 ecoboost is what it needs. The 3.5 ecoboost is impressive, but I wouldn't buy one because I love the sound of a v8.

The 5.0 heads have the boss's for adding DI. It'll probably come around the 2014 mustang for the 50th anniversary. Not sure if they'd do TT's along with the addition of DI, but it would make for one badazz combination! I honestly think the 6.2 will be off to the glue factory when that day hits. With such crappy gas mileage to make marginally better numbers, I think the 6.2 was a quick & dirty to get an engine with respectible numbers rather than the underpowered 5.4. Just look at the design into them, the 6.2 is very similar to the 4.6/5.4 2V combo's, where the rest of the ford lineup is all-aluminum DOHC combos.

As for the exhaust note though, stock exhaust with both idling, they sound pretty much the same. Haven't heard a 3.5 EB with louder exhaust yet to see how it sounds. But the sound of those turbos spooling like a superduty, I'd happy trade that along with a quiet exhaust in exhange for a rumbly V8....and this is coming from a guy with two blown 5.4 V8's both with full exhaust systems lol

Jroc

Established Member
I trust it, I drove it and felt the difference. The 6.2 doesn't have turbos to spool so it has a marginally better kick off the line, the 3.5 EB takes a second to really feel that power and when you feel it, it feels stronger than the 6.2. I'm sure you can dig up the 1/8th mile stats from the Ford drive event, I wish I took a pic of the score board of the top times, 1/2 dozen were 6.2 and 1/2 dozen were 3.5 EB all intermixed, depended on the driver, but 1/8th mile it was pretty much a tossup whether the 6.2 or 3.5 would win. A full 1/4 I have no doubts the 3.5 would win with how much harder it was pulling on the top end.

I need to see magazine test(which for some reason noones doing) of production trucks. Fords pushing this Ecoboost real hard, and the test trucks might be tuned pretty nicely. If not then the 6.2 is a POS that has no right to claim 411 hp and 434 lb-ft.

I have TWO 5.4 trucks (three up until a couple months ago), and they tow like a dog. Coincidentally enough the tow load at the drive event is identical to what I tow myself ~6000-6500 lbs, and the 3.5 gave a much more solid feel without the struggling feeling the 5.4 has. The tow figure does impress, and its not just from me reading it. You seem to have read some stats and want to down play them all. I read the stats too at first and thought they were good but never thought much of a V6, then I drove it and my take took a 180*. You really need to drive one before you keep chitting on it.

Funny my 5.4 tows cars, and boats great and I don't hesitate to pass people on 2 lane roads with it. IMO the weakest link with it would be it's a 4 speed, and not lack of power. I'm sure the new Ecoboost F150 is a nice tower though.

You seem to have the misconception that I feel that this is a bad motor. I'm sure it's a great little factory motor. The way Fords been pushing it I'd be surprised if it isn't. But no matter how good it is it can not escape the fact that it is a gay ass(yes gay ass) 3.5L v8 with a couple of snails. Ford could take a v8, v6, I5, I6, I8 any of these motor configurations and make them into a better motor than this engine. They could take the 3.5 Ecoboost and redo it and make it better than it is. Ford is a large enough organization to be able to do that, and thats why a 3.5L Ecoboost motor is as good as it is. You need to understand that I have a huge prejudiced against a v6 in a highend full-size truck. I would love it if GM, Dodge, Toyota, etc put made v6's the top of the line motor in there truck because I hate those corporations, but this is enough to make me loose my long time brand loyalty to Ford. I mean the thing could blow me on my morning commute, and I would care. I would never by a Ecoboost F150 that wasn't a lowend model truck.

FI mods....what all would that include? An intake and a tuner, which is already out now? Those same very mods can be added to the 3.5 EB, along with turning the wick up a little on the boost. Anyone who's owned N/A and forced induction vehicles knows that for those initial standard groups of mods, the forced induction setup responds to mods 10x's more than a N/A combo. If you meant FI by forced induction and adding a blower to a 6.2, you've already gone into that 1%'er range thats a moot point. Dropping $5-7k for a blower setup isn't a practical common place mod. Spending $1000-1500 for intake/tune/exhaust is, and the 3.5 will lay down an even more impressive number with those couple mods and not break the bank.

Absolute potential, I'm not disputing a 6.2 is a NASTY engine. My one truck is a 700 rwhp 5.4L engine, and I'd LOVE to eventually retrofit a 6.2 stroker motor. I don't know why so many 6.2 humpers only see one side of the arguement thought, that the 6.2 is almighty and everything else sucks dog turds, when reality is that while the 6.2 is a great engine with a lot of potential for building to the extreme, the 3.5 is no slouch either, and for its displacement, its a very impressive combination to get those power, towing, & fuel economy figures from.

What I mean is you add a blower or some turbo's to a 5.0 or 6.2 and it's performance easily eclipse the Ecoboosts performance. From what I've read is the Ecoboost would be hard pressed to make more than 450 hp on stock turbo's because they are too small. Kind of like the turbo's on the Scorpion are too small to make it good competition for the new Duramax. I would rather have a 6.4 that a new Scorpion.

Have you even watched the torture tests of the 3.5? Most manufactuers will do a dyno cell, and some prelim street miles, very few have ever done the dyno cell for 100k, then hauling 100k lbs of timber up mountain sides, then race for 24 hrs at WOT towing 11,300 lbs, then do uphill towing races against other competitors with larger engines and beat them, then run the baja1000, then redo the dynocell and verify identical power numbers after all the flogging, then do a teartown at an international autoshow for all to see the results. Even regardless of what others have done on their torture tests, thats a moot point as well. The fact the 3.5 did all those tests and stood up flawlessly just disproves anyones arguements of a V6 doesn't belong in a truck.

No I haven't watch any Ford promotional video's on the Ecoboost because I don't have a hardon for the motor, and Ford has a way of making there products look good in these video's. Fact is any common manufacture can build motors to last, and stand up to a lot of abuse in this day and ago. Nothing overly impressive about a brand new truck top of the line truck motor being pushed hard for 100k.

How many more worthless arguements you going to toss up? The Gen 1 L's are 15 second trucks stock, not all too fast. Most trucks now days fall in the 15 second range, some 16 second range (5.4's...yawn). To be running 14's in a truck is impressive. The 02-03 HD trucks were mid 14's stock, and one of the fastest screw's you'll encounter on the road other than an SRT-10 screw. Few bolt-on's and they're mid 13's...no reason a 3.5 EB also being forced induction won't respond similarly. ANY 6.2L SHOULD run a 14, but the fact that if a 3.5 V6 is running mid-14's, once again shows its doing something right there.

The point is everything you find so impressive about this motor is not that impressive or surprising. Ford worked hard to make this a good motor. They did. Oh BTW it's boosted. Big damn surprise it makes some decent power with a broad powerband. Quite yawning at the 5.4. No 5.4 put into the F150 was built with the components and things that when into the Ecoboost. The 5.4 has the potential to be a better powerhouse motor than the Ecoboost. Throw a couple small snails and some R&D at it and it would tow better with a broader powerband, and would out run it while getting worse MPG. Throw a GT500 motor in a F150 and you'll understand what a 5.4 is capable of. With just a tune, CAI, and CB it put the lowend power of both my modded Terminator and L to shame. At 2,500 rpms it felt like my Terminator at 3,500 rpm. Instant huge power right off idle.

14's in a extended cab or screw can make 13's in a regular cab short bed 2wd config. Coletti did some great stuff, but if the truck was really deemed too heavy to make a good performance vehicle, Ford wouldn't have been able to make the Raptor a good offroading performance vehicle. Since a S/C or TT 5.0 or 6.2 doesn't even exist, you may as well wish for a 8.4 liter V10 with quad turbos and direct injection, that would smash everyone! Oh wait, doesn't exist, wishing on marshmallows and dreams again. Ford utilizing what they have already on market and designed could make one heck of a fun street truck with a 3.5 EB in a regular cab short bed 2wd config. Very little investment to create it, no need to have to shoot for the king of the hill with it, but still grab some share of the market for people wanting a sporty small truck with still decent mileage.

You're making assumption. The new Ecoboost F150 makes less power and torque than a late model L all while weighing a whole lot more. If Ford were to make a 3 Gen L it would need to easily beat the 2 Gen's performance. This is why they made a Raptor instead of a L. O/R vehicles don't have to run extremely fast E.T's. A few years ago Ecoboost didn't exist. Before 1999 S/C'ed 5.4's didn't exist. If Ford were to make a new L I high dout(would hope they would have more sense) than to use a 3.5L v6 is a truck that's well over 5,000 lbs. L's aren't flunky boy, cosmetic package trucks. They need to have performance that sets them apart from other trucks. If Ford wants to make another sports truck with modern world class performance for a 1/2 truck then they would need more than what the Ecoboost offers. If a Gt500 can get a boosted v8 then I feel sure that a L would also. Y'all need to understand that L's and Raptors are niche vehicles. They are not mass produces, everyday trucks. If I was to want something that Raptor doesn't offer I would pick an extended cab with a 6.5 bed.

You've never been to a dyno yourself have you? Every single shop has owners sign a waiver before they do a tune and dyno, its called covering their azzes.

You so gun ho to stand up for the Ecoboost that you're not reading the poster is trying to say. Basically he is saying if you want them to tune you Ecoboost vehicle you have to sign their forum letting you know that Ford will void your warrenty for just a tune. Yes I've been to several dyno's, and when I mod I get dyno tunes.

The 5.0 heads have the boss's for adding DI. It'll probably come around the 2014 mustang for the 50th anniversary. Not sure if they'd do TT's along with the addition of DI, but it would make for one badazz combination! I honestly think the 6.2 will be off to the glue factory when that day hits. With such crappy gas mileage to make marginally better numbers, I think the 6.2 was a quick & dirty to get an engine with respectible numbers rather than the underpowered 5.4. Just look at the design into them, the 6.2 is very similar to the 4.6/5.4 2V combo's, where the rest of the ford lineup is all-aluminum DOHC combos.

The 6.2 has a 4.015" bore which makes it very different than other Modulars with there 3.552" bore. Also 2v Modular heads flow like shit. The 6.2's 2v heads flow pretty good. The 5.4 and 6.8's have a huge 4.165" stroke.(BTW I wouldn't do a 6.2L stroke Modular if I were you. The last thing a 5.4 needs is more stroke) The only other factory gas motor I know of with a longer stroke is a 8100 Vortec. The 5.4's stroke is quite a bit longer than a 6.2's.

Last edited:

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
I need to see magazine test(which for some reason noones doing) of production trucks. Fords pushing this Ecoboost real hard, and the test trucks might be tuned pretty nicely. If not then the 6.2 is a POS that has no right to claim 411 hp and 434 lb-ft.

So I've proven the blue truck was actually the 3.7 N/A and not the 3.5 EB, and you still can't accept that, and now trying to say maybe they had the 3.5 EB tuned up and hopped up so it felt faster for the Ford Drive event? :rolleyes: You're a riot.

The 3.5 EB and 6.2 were tied neck & neck in the just under 1/8th mile drag course at the drive event. On the score board of fastest times of the day 1/2 were 3.5 EB and 1/2 were 6.2. The 6.2 has more hp, the 3.5 has almost identical tq and a stronger torque curve. The 3.5 is also lighter. Not sure the gearing in the trucks, but regardless, one truck with more hp, one truck with a better torque curve and a little lighter, that is a recipe for nearly identical 1/8th mile times, so not so hard to imagine it keeping up with the 6.2 in the 1/8th.

You want some other 3rd party testing? You obviously didn't search much, info is out there...

Video: PickupTrucks.com pegs 3.7L F150 against EcoBoost V6 in 1/4 Mile - egmCarTech
Just recently, PickupTrucks.com took the new EcoBoost F150s to the quarter-mile drag strip at Milan. The results: the 3.7L clocked its quarter mile at 15.87 seconds and 87.69 MPH, whereas the EcoBoost tagged its time slip at 14.67 seconds and 94.6 MPH. According to the site, the EcoBoost bested the V8 half-tons by quite a bit. Not bad.

14.6 in a bone stock 3.5 EB truck is nothing to scoff at!

Funny my 5.4 tows cars, and boats great and I don't hesitate to pass people on 2 lane roads with it. IMO the weakest link with it would be it's a 4 speed, and not lack of power. I'm sure the new Ecoboost F150 is a nice tower though.

My 5.4 tows okay and I can pass people as well, but having towed with both and having that direct comparison, it was no contest, the 3.5 EB walks the 5.4!

You seem to have the misconception that I feel that this is a bad motor. I'm sure it's a great little factory motor. The way Fords been pushing it I'd be surprised if it isn't. But no matter how good it is it can not escape the fact that it is a gay ass(yes gay ass) 3.5L v8 with a couple of snails. Ford could take a v8, v6, I5, I6, I8 any of these motor configurations and make them into a better motor than this engine. They could take the 3.5 Ecoboost and redo it and make it better than it is. Ford is a large enough organization to be able to do that, and thats why a 3.5L Ecoboost motor is as good as it is. You need to understand that I have a huge prejudiced against a v6 in a highend full-size truck. I would love it if GM, Dodge, Toyota, etc put made v6's the top of the line motor in there truck because I hate those corporations, but this is enough to make me loose my long time brand loyalty to Ford. I mean the thing could blow me on my morning commute, and I would care. I would never by a Ecoboost F150 that wasn't a lowend model truck.

At least you're admitting it now you're just stuck in your ways with the prejudice against the V6. I'm not a V6 fan at all either (again, own two blown 5.4 V8's, was three blown 5.4 V8's till I sold my L last year). I'd never buy a N/A V6 truck. Slap the twins on there and it's a different ballgame. BUT, if you're stuck against V6's since "real trucks" come with 8's, are you against OHC as well since "real truck engines" come with pushrods? Better jump to Chevy!

What I mean is you add a blower or some turbo's to a 5.0 or 6.2 and it's performance easily eclipse the Ecoboosts performance. From what I've read is the Ecoboost would be hard pressed to make more than 450 hp on stock turbo's because they are too small. Kind of like the turbo's on the Scorpion are too small to make it good competition for the new Duramax. I would rather have a 6.4 that a new Scorpion.

VOID arguement. Apples to oranges. Drop $7-$10k to do a blower or turbo's on a 5.0 or 6.2 and it's a moot point. The discussion wasn't what has the most potential when dumping $7k+ into it. Of course a blown 5.0 or 6.2 would clean house. $1500 in mods to a 3.5 EB to potentially get 450 hp on stock turbos is a HEFTY gain of 85 hp and enough to wipe a stock 6.2 clean without breaking the bank, or the mileage. Drop $1500 into a 5.0 or 6.2 and you'll be lucky to pickup 30 hp.

No I haven't watch any Ford promotional video's on the Ecoboost because I don't have a hardon for the motor, and Ford has a way of making there products look good in these video's. Fact is any common manufacture can build motors to last, and stand up to a lot of abuse in this day and ago. Nothing overly impressive about a brand new truck top of the line truck motor being pushed hard for 100k.

Yeah you're right, you're way too manly to watch the torture test video's :rollseyes You wouldnt' want to enlighten yourself at all and realize just how inaccurate some of your arguements are.

The point is everything you find so impressive about this motor is not that impressive or surprising. Ford worked hard to make this a good motor. They did. Oh BTW it's boosted. Big damn surprise it makes some decent power with a broad powerband. Quite yawning at the 5.4. No 5.4 put into the F150 was built with the components and things that when into the Ecoboost. The 5.4 has the potential to be a better powerhouse motor than the Ecoboost. Throw a couple small snails and some R&D at it and it would tow better with a broader powerband, and would out run it while getting worse MPG. Throw a GT500 motor in a F150 and you'll understand what a 5.4 is capable of. With just a tune, CAI, and CB it put the lowend power of both my modded Terminator and L to shame. At 2,500 rpms it felt like my Terminator at 3,500 rpm. Instant huge power right off idle.

What I find impressive is 365 hp, 420 tq with an awesome power band, 11,300 lb tow rating, mid-14's in the 1/4, and 22 mpg. No nothing to drool over a keyboard for, but enough to make it shine amongst the competition. And honestly I did read all these specs before driving one and thought "eh thats nice, I'd never want a V6 though" a lot like yourself. Then once i test drove one I did a 180. So since I was in your shoes on my opinion of the 3.5 EB at 1st, I'll go easy on ya lol.

As for attempting to explain to me what a 5.4 is capable of :D Too funny! Have you seen where I've mentioned I own two (was three) supercharged 5.4 trucks? My HD truck is the worlds fastest street HD truck (was THE worlds fastest HD truck PERIOD till Ronnie Cain built a full tube chassis truck with a 00 HD body). I'm WELL aware of what a 5.4 is capable of. Go to Kenne Bell's website, my truck is featured under their record holder page. They need to update it though because thats my time from 2 years ago...
http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Tech_Info_pg/links/HomePage_RaceCars.jpg

You so gun ho to stand up for the Ecoboost that you're not reading the poster is trying to say. Basically he is saying if you want them to tune you Ecoboost vehicle you have to sign their forum letting you know that Ford will void your warrenty for just a tune. Yes I've been to several dyno's, and when I mod I get dyno tunes.

Ford will void your warranty on ANY engine you get tuned, NOT just the ecoboost :nono:

The 6.2 has a 4.015" bore which makes it very different than other Modulars with there 3.552" bore. Also 2v Modular heads flow like shit. The 6.2's 2v heads flow pretty good. The 5.4 and 6.8's have a huge 4.165" stroke.(BTW I wouldn't do a 6.2L stroke Modular if I were you. The last thing a 5.4 needs is more stroke) The only other factory gas motor I know of with a longer stroke is a 8100 Vortec. The 5.4's stroke is quite a bit longer than a 6.2's.

Ah welcome to the world of going to the extremes to make big power. My 2V modular heads flow enough to lay down 722/772 at the wheels and propel my 19' long truck to 10.3 @ 131, and they're a 5 year old port design. JLP has XR 2V ported heads now that put mine to shame. If I had a stroker 5.4 I'd be well into the 9's. There's a whole group of local JLP trucks with stroked 5.4's running 9's on all boost.

Jroc

Established Member
First off you want a cookie? I tell you what you send me your mother ****ing address and I will send you a god damn cookie. You got the blue truck thing right! Lets just toot your ****ing horn some more. If there's two identical vehicles with different motors and the one making less torque, and much less power is the faster one then somethings up.

Quit being a BS'er. First the 5.4 is a POS that can't tow worth a damn, and now that my truck tows just fine so does your 5.4? Just go on with that BS.

Oh and no the Ecoboost doesn't impress me as being faster than a 6.2 when a 6,200 lb crew cab AWD HD will run a 15.1 at over 92 MPH.

Your points are stupid as hell. What do you mean I'm against OHC's? I drive a truck with a OHC motor. No trucks don't have to have OHV motors. What a dumb argument you present.

Are you into SRT4's, EVO's, MazdaSpeed 3's, and other I4 turbo vehicles? If not why not? I mean mofo's always bust on SRT4 saying they're still Neons or whatever. Well guess what they'll also run pretty damn good so maybe we should just all get a hard on for the car. When talking fullsize trucks, and performance car Mustangs I don't like v6's in any forum. I don't like the #6 because I'm not a Satanist, I don't like how those POS motors sound, I don't like 60 degree motors, and I don't like how my Ford worked hard to make it out perform the v8's.(which they did) Don't you see what Fords trying to do here? Ford wants the Ecoboost to eclipse the v8's is sells so much so they will be able to drop the v8's from the F150's lineup in a few years. Trust me I've seen it happen before.

If you spend $10K to just throw a blower on a F150 then you're a butt f'in moron. If you spend $7,000 you better have gotten a nice exhaust setup, CAI, and tune at the least to go along with the blower for that price.

Again what you find impressive is not that impressive to me. Yes it makes good #'s and it performs alright. It's a boosted DOHC motor running 17 psi in a motor that Ford worked real hard to make it do a good job. WTF do you expect?

Your knowledge of a 5.4 doesn't impress me, and I don't give a damn how your truck performs. I said if Ford wanted to build a 5.4 better/stronger motor than the Ecoboost it would easily happen. If you can't admit then you're an idiot. Get over yourself. You act like I'm trying to school you on what 5.4's are capable of and that offends you because you're just the man when it comes to 5.4's when I'm just stating a fact. I've owned Modular vehicles for a long/long time and even if they were 4.6's they are just a 5.4 with a shorter stroke, and deck height. Hell Ford could build a 4.6 to be a much stronger truck motor than the Ecoboost if they throw a couple of snails at it. Boost is an amazing thing.

You are just too stubborn to admit that Ford is going to hold much higher restrictions about people modding Ecoboost motors. Do you not understand that the guy saying that tunes Ford for a living? That's his job. I've never been scared that Ford would void a warranty over just a tune on any Mustang I've had. Now if they can prove that you've upped the boost, and done some substantial mods then yes you're screwed, but with the Ecoboost already being push pretty hard from the factory Fords not stupid enough to say "yeah lets make this a little tuner motor for enthusiasts." It's a cast motor, and it's running up to 17 psi. What other V type gas motors do you know of that run all that much more than 17 psi on pump gas? When you get to around 20/21 PSI you start to think E85/race gas range. If I got a new GT or GT500 I wouldn't fret over just getting a tune to void my warranty. In a v8 vehicle they sell if they tried to void my warranty over just a tune then we would have a big problem, but if Ford is straight up telling Ecoboost owners through tune shops that they will not cover their cars if they get them tuned then that is expected.

My old Cobra's heads flow well enough to make that power, and much, much, much more without ever even breaking the valve covers. Hell people have made that much and more with just a TS blower on the Terminators little 4.6's. Stock longblock Terminator motors have made upwards of 1,300 whp on boost alone. 2v Modulars heads are poor flowing no matter how you try and sell it. I've had several 2v Modulars.

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
First off you want a cookie? I tell you what you send me your mother ****ing address and I will send you a god damn cookie. You got the blue truck thing right! Lets just toot your ****ing horn some more. If there's two identical vehicles with different motors and the one making less torque, and much less power is the faster one then somethings up.

Save the cookie for yourself, maybe you won't be so cranky when you don't like my responses lol. Calm down man, it's a discussion forum. :beer:

Can't figure out how 2 same configuration trucks with different powertrains can have the one with lower peak numbers tie an 1/8th mile race with one with slightly higher peak numbers? 3 simple answers....area UNDER the curve, WEIGHT, and gearing. :read:

Quit being a BS'er. First the 5.4 is a POS that can't tow worth a damn, and now that my truck tows just fine so does your 5.4? Just go on with that BS.

How am I BS'er? You're saying how great and mighty your 5.4 has towed. I'm simply saying mine tows fine as well, but in comparison to the 3.5 EB it absolutely sucks. You really can't talk chit on how well the 3.5 EB can tow since you've never even driven one, let alone towed with one.

Oh and no the Ecoboost doesn't impress me as being faster than a 6.2 when a 6,200 lb crew cab AWD HD will run a 15.1 at over 92 MPH.

15.1 :sleeping:

Your points are stupid as hell. What do you mean I'm against OHC's? I drive a truck with a OHC motor. No trucks don't have to have OHV motors. What a dumb argument you present.

:lol: Okay so you can be a fanboy for V8's because that's a REAL MAN engine, or any other configuration engine EXCEPT a V6. You're ignorant to accept the fact of the technology advances of the new V6 with direct injection and twin turbo's that do make it totally worthy of a Ford Truck engine. My point is simply if you're against the more advanced V6 and hardon for the older technology SOHC 6.2 and 5.4, I'm surprised you're not also all for pushrods and non-mod motors :bash: A pushrod motor with a single cam, now THATS a real truck engine! No mamby-pamby over head cam :rollseyes

Are you into SRT4's, EVO's, MazdaSpeed 3's, and other I4 turbo vehicles? If not why not? I mean mofo's always bust on SRT4 saying they're still Neons or whatever. Well guess what they'll also run pretty damn good so maybe we should just all get a hard on for the car. When talking fullsize trucks, and performance car Mustangs I don't like v6's in any forum. I don't like the #6 because I'm not a Satanist, I don't like how those POS motors sound, I don't like 60 degree motors, and I don't like how my Ford worked hard to make it out perform the v8's.(which they did) Don't you see what Fords trying to do here? Ford wants the Ecoboost to eclipse the v8's is sells so much so they will be able to drop the v8's from the F150's lineup in a few years. Trust me I've seen it happen before.

Nope, absolutely hate any other rice rockets, 4 bangers, etc. Didn't get that point already from me mentioning several times I have 2 (previously 3) supercharged 5.4 trucks? :rolling: My g/f had a SRT-4 and thankfully made the switch to a 2011 5.0 Mustang GT. But again, till you've driven the 3.5 EB, hold off on talking so much chit about it. From idle you can't even tell it's a 6, romping on it in the cab and it doesn't sound like a 6 anymore than a small V8 sounds like a 6.

Oh and you've seen the truck manufacturers drop V8's from their lineup before? Did you go into the future and make that post to give us fair warning on that? :whine: Give me a friggin break. Ford is giving their customers what they want. Better fuel economy, better towing capacity, better hp & tq, and still offering multiple engine configurations for those who want a slight higher power output and sacrafice the mileage...(ie 6.2). Also you better hope Ford keeps pumping out the 3.7 V6 and 3.5 V6 EB, because in order for Ford to meet CAFE standards the combined fleet average mpg needs to be a certain number. Every 3.5 and 3.7 sold offsets the crappy mileage of every 6.2 sold. If Ford dropped the V6's they'd probably have to drop the 6.2 and only keep the 5.0 in order to meet fuel standards within a few years. Didn't think of that though huh? :loser:

If you spend $10K to just throw a blower on a F150 then you're a butt f'in moron. If you spend $7,000 you better have gotten a nice exhaust setup, CAI, and tune at the least to go along with the blower for that price.

Never supercharged a naturally aspirated mod motor before have you? Price out any of the s/c kits. Easily looking at $5k or MORE, plus another easy $2k for supporting mods. Not cheap by any means.

Again what you find impressive is not that impressive to me. Yes it makes good #'s and it performs alright. It's a boosted DOHC motor running 17 psi in a motor that Ford worked real hard to make it do a good job. WTF do you expect?

Exactly what it's outputting, numbers that keep it on par with the 6.2's heels, with the same exact towing capability, ~$1,500 cheaper price tag, and what ~5-6 mpg better fuel economy? Bravo Ford! :rockon:

Your knowledge of a 5.4 doesn't impress me, and I don't give a damn how your truck performs. I said if Ford wanted to build a 5.4 better/stronger motor than the Ecoboost it would easily happen. If you can't admit then you're an idiot. Get over yourself. You act like I'm trying to school you on what 5.4's are capable of and that offends you because you're just the man when it comes to 5.4's when I'm just stating a fact. I've owned Modular vehicles for a long/long time and even if they were 4.6's they are just a 5.4 with a shorter stroke, and deck height. Hell Ford could build a 4.6 to be a much stronger truck motor than the Ecoboost if they throw a couple of snails at it. Boost is an amazing thing.

Darn, I really wanted to impress you on my 5.4 knowledge lmao. You're missing the entire point of the 3.5 EB, which I've stated several times and agreed with you on several times. For the best/strongest/most powerful engine combo out there, I would NOT buy a 3.5, I wouldn't even buy a 4.6, I'd buy a 5.4 or 6.2 and build it up and slap a blower on it and lay down huge numbers (what a coincidence thats what I've done on my own trucks). Wasn't the point of the 3.5 discussion at all, but go ahead, keep missing the point :pop:

You are just too stubborn to admit that Ford is going to hold much higher restrictions about people modding Ecoboost motors. Do you not understand that the guy saying that tunes Ford for a living? That's his job. I've never been scared that Ford would void a warranty over just a tune on any Mustang I've had. Now if they can prove that you've upped the boost, and done some substantial mods then yes you're screwed, but with the Ecoboost already being push pretty hard from the factory Fords not stupid enough to say "yeah lets make this a little tuner motor for enthusiasts." It's a cast motor, and it's running up to 17 psi. What other V type gas motors do you know of that run all that much more than 17 psi on pump gas? When you get to around 20/21 PSI you start to think E85/race gas range. If I got a new GT or GT500 I wouldn't fret over just getting a tune to void my warranty. In a v8 vehicle they sell if they tried to void my warranty over just a tune then we would have a big problem, but if Ford is straight up telling Ecoboost owners through tune shops that they will not cover their cars if they get them tuned then that is expected.

Lucky for you your warranty's never been voided for a tune, and yes for anything unless the mod causes the issue ford shouldn't void your warranty, but its pretty cut and dry you warranty can be void no matter what engine when you tune it. It's just dependent on the dealer how strict they are. Lucky for you you're dealer's pretty lenient.

My old Cobra's heads flow well enough to make that power, and much, much, much more without ever even breaking the valve covers. Hell people have made that much and more with just a TS blower on the Terminators little 4.6's. Stock longblock Terminator motors have made upwards of 1,300 whp on boost alone. 2v Modulars heads are poor flowing no matter how you try and sell it. I've had several 2v Modulars.

Yeah, bench racing's not my thing. I'd be happy to line up against you at the track anytime though :burnout:

fordification

Established Member
whoa, too much to read on the big posts.

The EB is a great idea, instead of the poor variable displacment design. It can only improve, being the first year out, and there's a lot of areas that can be adjusted, just like the lightning.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
My buddy just bought an ecoboost f150... It's pretty sweet, runs good and actually the exhaust sounds kind of cool.

I'll keep my cummins though... twice the torque, and even better fuel mileage

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
My buddy just bought an ecoboost f150... It's pretty sweet, runs good and actually the exhaust sounds kind of cool.

I'll keep my cummins though... twice the torque, and even better fuel mileage

LOL @ a HD pickup getting better mileage than the EB. If that were the case, everyone would own them and auto makers would be screaming MPG from the rooftops.

Jroc

Established Member
LOL @ a HD pickup getting better mileage than the EB. If that were the case, everyone would own them and auto makers would be screaming MPG from the rooftops.

lol @ you not knowing how good a gas mileage these big diesels can get especially the old Cummins motors.

Everyone can own one if they are willing to pay an extra $8,000 or so for the diesel motor over the gas engines. Also with emissions getting strict it's hard for automakers to make good eco-friendly diesel motors.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
lol @ you not knowing how good a gas mileage these big diesels can get especially the old Cummins motors.

Everyone can own one if they are willing to pay an extra $8,000 or so for the diesel motor over the gas engines. Also with emissions getting strict it's hard for automakers to make good eco-friendly diesel motors.

Yes, any diesel HD now-a-day will get 20 on the highway (minus the DPF and EGR crap).

You can't be serious with the MPG comparisons between an HD with a diesel and a half ton with an ecoboost. If so, then you're nuts. 15 MPG average on a new diesel is common. Ecoboost does better 100% of the time.

We ran two 2003 Dodge Cummins on our farm from 03-09. One Auto and one 6 speed. Auto got 14 mpg average, 6 speed got 15. I have run three 6.0 PSD's into the ground from 03 to 08 and averaged 15 to 16 doing the same work.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Slightly off topic, but a PSD gets way worse mileage than a cummins. I bought 80k gallons of diesel last year at my families construction company and we keep very strict mileage/fuel logs of every single truck. All are 100% bone stock.

Start towing with the ecoboost and watch that mileage tank once those turbos start spooling.

Back on topic:

The ecoboost would put the 6.2 on the endangered species list. I base this prediction on the fact that nearly 50% of F150 sales are in 6 banger configuration, which is astonishing, and a testament to how bad ass the ecoboost really is. Add in the fact that the raptor gets pathetic mileage vs a 3.5 v6 tt and most likely inferior performance.

I personally think the 6.2 is doomed within the next 5 yrs, especially with Ford's new smaller v8's and boosted engines, along with all this new CAFE crap

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread