2012 boss S/C Need advise:)

J.Shoot

Established Member
Procharger

I have a 2013 Boss, we started with a D1 procharger, ID1000 injectors, return style fuel system from JPC. On 93 octane with 9 lbs of boost it made 654 rwhp. I put a McLeod RXT clutch in it and a MGW shifter. The MT82 is stock, I guess I'm lucky, but the tranny is still fine, and I've taken the car to the track several times. Our best run is 10.50 @ 132. I did change the uca and lca. We've changed more now but that's where we started...... The Boss is a blast at all power levels.
Good luck on your build.
J.Shoot

alvarop

Established Member
I have a 2013 Boss, we started with a D1 procharger, ID1000 injectors, return style fuel system from JPC. On 93 octane with 9 lbs of boost it made 654 rwhp. I put a McLeod RXT clutch in it and a MGW shifter. The MT82 is stock, I guess I'm lucky, but the tranny is still fine, and I've taken the car to the track several times. Our best run is 10.50 @ 132. I did change the uca and lca. We've changed more now but that's where we started...... The Boss is a blast at all power levels.
Good luck on your build.
J.Shoot

10 sec boss , I wold be very happy with my car around that level of power . Nice Boss.

gremlinsteve

Established Member
im running the beefcake special. it made 672/574 on a mustang load bearing dyno at 10psi. everyday driveable too.

maddog2

maddog2
Established Member
Check out the Roush TVS. And VMP. These work real well on 5.0's.

I researched chargers for a long time before deciding on the VMP tvs system. If your looking for good safe power then talk to a tuner. Like AED or Mr Lund. The Boss/roadrunner is a different animal than a 5.0. I had a tuner talk me out of a centrifical style blower for a Boss. I wanted to keep my stock intake also but decided go ahead and do the twin screw. The boss intake looks pretty cool hanging on the shop wall too. The VMP kit comes with a large water intercooler and pump system separate from your engine cooling system and she runs COOL.:coolman:

alvarop

Established Member
I researched chargers for a long time before deciding on the VMP tvs system. If your looking for good safe power then talk to a tuner. Like AED or Mr Lund. The Boss/roadrunner is a different animal than a 5.0. I had a tuner talk me out of a centrifical style blower for a Boss. I wanted to keep my stock intake also but decided go ahead and do the twin screw. The boss intake looks pretty cool hanging on the shop wall too. The VMP kit comes with a large water intercooler and pump system separate from your engine cooling system and she runs COOL.:coolman:

What mods did you do besides the blower? Any cooling issues? Boost and power? So many options and I agree the Boss is special I wont settle for just anything It has to feel right and safe .

gremlinsteve

Established Member
I'm running 10 psi on my Paxton making 672/574 on a loaded dyno and I have no cooling issue.
Remember these ecm's are pulling water temps from the cyl heads. They will read a bit higher than others due to this.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Especially on a boss, i'd recommend the centri. We have paxton or procharger kits that will fit your needs, the paxton will be a little less money.

The centri's love the high revving boss and you get to keep your boss 302 intake.

I have custom packages with both kits, let me know if we can help you out at all. We have more experience with the centri's on these cars than anyone out there.

Beef
513-478-1965

BlkVnm512

Smitty's is better
Established Member
If you want to add boost, but dont beat on it much, why not go with a TT Kit? You said you dont beat on it much, so you can keep it on lowest boost setting, and keep any extra stress on your drivetrain to a minimum. Then you can turn it up to 10#'s when you want are feeling up for it. Top end power. Retain boss Manifold. Adjustable power levels.

maddog2

maddog2
Established Member
What mods did you do besides the blower? Any cooling issues? Boost and power? So many options and I agree the Boss is special I wont settle for just anything It has to feel right and safe .
Most of my mods are suspension. Ford racing LCAs,springs,relocation brackets,UCA,adjustable panhard.The charger kit included 47# injectors,82mm pulley puts it at 10psi of boost.Also dual 60mm tb with a 123mm JLT cai upgrade and hd intercooler. Have not had a chance to dyno yet just did data logging from VMPs base tune. It should be making around 600rwh. The clutch is probably the weak link right now but it seams to be holding up for now.I have a DLS aluminum driveline but haven't installed it yet. My next mod is an easy one TIRES. I get wheel spin in 4th at 85 full throttle.

alvarop

Established Member
Most of my mods are suspension. Ford racing LCAs,springs,relocation brackets,UCA,adjustable panhard.The charger kit included 47# injectors,82mm pulley puts it at 10psi of boost.Also dual 60mm tb with a 123mm JLT cai upgrade and hd intercooler. Have not had a chance to dyno yet just did data logging from VMPs base tune. It should be making around 600rwh. The clutch is probably the weak link right now but it seams to be holding up for now.I have a DLS aluminum driveline but haven't installed it yet. My next mod is an easy one TIRES. I get wheel spin in 4th at 85 full throttle.

Wow man, That's sounds like so much fun . Its still winter here I hope to buy a kit in the next week or so.

I love my boss however it just lacks power stock, I have always wanted to own a 600HP car.
Tonight I seen a hellion twin turbo kit sounds expensive but might be worth it.

check this out , not the great picture quality.

Boss 302 twin turbo - YouTube

maddog2

maddog2
Established Member
The thing to keep in mind is what the motor can take long term. Remember this motor has a comp ratio of 11:1. that means the more boost the more risk of hurting the motor. At 600 to 700 hp the roadrunner is pretty stout in stock form. I have read many articles of people getting 800 plus but at that point you are pushing the limits of the internals.

Users who are viewing this thread