2012 boss S/C Need advise:)

alvarop

Established Member
Hi, I am new here first post.

I have a 2012 Boss 302 stock. I want to S/C it . Kenne bell Or pro charger ?

I don't track it , its mainly a street car I like to sometimes play a little light to light nothing crazy.
I don't want to over power it to the point i may break something . I may put high flow cats and headers and thats about it for mods .

I have had a Kenne bell before and I know heat was an issue for me before 88 for old 2.1L K/B .
I can only get 91 octane where i live maybe 94 , E85 is not am option.

I love the K/b sound however I think 8-9 # boost it all I'll get so I may not hear it .

Its an expensive mod just wanna do it right .

whats everyones suggestions ?:banana:

Last edited:

PC03GT

Established Member
There's a big price difference between the two. I all depends if you want to blow the tires off instantly or have the HP come in more gradual. I had a vortech on my 2012 it made 614 to the wheels and I could still spin wheels doing 60-70 mph. If you get the procharger you can use your intake also

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Go centrifical with the boss imo...also if you want to do it right you need to consider the driveline wont hold up long at those power levels. So have another 7-9k ready for a new trans ect..
The stock trans is rated at 390 torque... it makes that in stock trim basically

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Go centrifical with the boss imo...also if you want to do it right you need to consider the driveline wont hold up long at those power levels. So have another 7-9k ready for a new trans ect..
The stock trans is rated at 390 torque... it makes that in stock trim basically

The Boss tranny is that weak ?? Hmmm what does a GT tranny hold out to ? That does not make sense..

allvested

Established Member
I have a 12 boss with the procharger pisc-1 kit and have had some issues with cooling, (even with the centri), the kit requires that you change from the ford electric cooling fan/shroud to a smaller spal fan/smaller aluminum shroud (because of clearance issues) that is # 1 very noisy, and #2 does not flow as much air, so running the A/C is out of the question if you are sitting in traffic. I have burned up 2 spal fans, and a heavy duty Hayden unit, in addition to the 2-speed resistor/connector that mounts in the shroud. I and am currently looking for a fan/shroud/radiator solution that will allow me to use the A/C and keep the car reasonably cool. This is running the standard 4.5 inch pulley making about 7 psi. I would like to keep the stock grill as I like the look, but I know that there are other grills with larger free area, and I don't think the grill alone will resolve my issues.

Also would recommend a fuel pump booster as my car was found to lean out before redline. ( these issues may be just this car, but just wanted to share some experiences with you so you can make a good decision)

This is pretty much my daily driver ( as long as the weather is good), I do have an option but given the choice of the stock white HHR, or the S/C Boss, I just seem to almost always jump in the Boss.

Anyone who has some info on a cooling set-up please let me know

Thank you

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
The Boss tranny is that weak ?? Hmmm what does a GT tranny hold out to ? That does not make sense..

The GT and Boss use the same transmission, the legendary MT-82:nonono:

Yes they are weak, but like with anything its how you use/abuse it that determines how long it lasts.

Usually the input shaft shears. On another forum a member put in a replacement shaft and it sheared again. Internally the trans just has weak parts which sucks because the gear ratios are perfect.

A MT-82 under boost is on borrowed time.Failures on multiple setups(turbo,supercharger) plan now for a T6060/T-56 replacement.

Last edited:

TEG-84

Established Member
I have a 12 boss with the procharger pisc-1 kit and have had some issues with cooling, (even with the centri), the kit requires that you change from the ford electric cooling fan/shroud to a smaller spal fan/smaller aluminum shroud (because of clearance issues) that is # 1 very noisy, and #2 does not flow as much air, so running the A/C is out of the question if you are sitting in traffic. I have burned up 2 spal fans, and a heavy duty Hayden unit, in addition to the 2-speed resistor/connector that mounts in the shroud. I and am currently looking for a fan/shroud/radiator solution that will allow me to use the A/C and keep the car reasonably cool. This is running the standard 4.5 inch pulley making about 7 psi. I would like to keep the stock grill as I like the look, but I know that there are other grills with larger free area, and I don't think the grill alone will resolve my issues.

Also would recommend a fuel pump booster as my car was found to lean out before redline. ( these issues may be just this car, but just wanted to share some experiences with you so you can make a good decision)

This is pretty much my daily driver ( as long as the weather is good), I do have an option but given the choice of the stock white HHR, or the S/C Boss, I just seem to almost always jump in the Boss.

Thank you

You might consider the Boss 302S hood (Tiger Racing)

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
With a twinscrew, keep it under 700 and the trans will last a while. It'll last longer with a centri and hold up to a little more power.

Regardless of blower, you're gonna want a taller gear.

Keep it under 900rwhp if you want the motor to last. :rolling:

With all that said, I LOVE my KB Boss!

gremlinsteve

Established Member
to be honest at the level your wanting i feel that spending money needlesly would come in also. i would lean towrds the paxton kit from beefcake. use the id1000 and get it tuned by some one wo knows what they are doing.

if needed get a radiator with extra capacity to help in cooling it, the tiger hood and a t stat from lund. although the tiger hood is mainly for aero...

alvarop

Established Member
So far we have cooling issues and tranny issues about 400HP. All valid points i didn't know about. Glad to get feed back from owners like yourself.

with all said even at 600RWh i will break a tranny and have cooling issues?

gremlinsteve

Established Member
Depends upon your driving style ect. It could live forever. Might break on your first 6k rpm clutch dump. I do not have cooling issues.
These cars are pulling water temps rom the cyl heads. They will always read higher.

Just do what you need to do.
Keep hp level reasonable.
Tiger hoods are functional and have dual benefits.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
$1800 from Liberty gets you cryo treated gears, bronze shift forks and shift stops.

Then the MT-82 becomes a beast.

Also, a twin disc clutch setup can help a ton in prolonging the life.

So $1000 on an RXT clutch plus $1800 from liberty to build the MT-82 sounds like a fantastic plan to me.

Last edited:

brianjh20

Established Member
Search a bit more on the forums... I have a Paxton on a 12 Boss. The procharger has more cooling issues because the intercooler is much smaller and its intake is just above the headers..
Paxton vs Kenne Bell/Whipple/TVS - Just personal choice but reading on the forums more cars have let loose using a Positive displacement blower (top mount)
My reasons for choosing the Paxton
1. I kept the great looking Boss Intake
2. Less power down low = less wheel spin
3. More power on top end
4. More cars tuned with paxton vs Procharger
5. Looks bad ass!
I am running a 3.6 pulley around 700rwhp No trouble yet with clutch or trans (I did install 1 piece driveshaft)
I have drag raced the car with MT drag radials dropping the clutch at 4k it hooks up ran a best of 10.87 @ 128 but hit the rev limiter a few hundred feet from the line. Installing lower gears this spring.
I drive the car hard on the street! Im guessing im on borrowed time but nothing has broke yet! The Centri blowers are much easier on the drivetrain. Car feels like stock until about 3k then you better hang on!
I would add new tires to your list of parts too the car will spin the tires in 4th above 70mph!

Cant go wrong with any type of Boost!!!

Last edited:

Boss949

Established Member
Search a bit more on the forums... I have a Paxton on a 12 Boss. The procharger has more cooling issues because the intercooler is much smaller and its intake is just above the headers..
Paxton vs Kenne Bell/Whipple/TVS - Just personal choice but reading on the forums more cars have let loose using a Positive displacement blower (top mount)
My reasons for choosing the Paxton
1. I kept the great looking Boss Intake
2. Less power down low = less wheel spin
3. More power on top end
4. More cars tuned with paxton vs Procharger
5. Looks bad ass!
I am running a 3.6 pulley around 700rwhp No trouble yet with clutch or trans (I did install 1 piece driveshaft)
I have drag raced the car with MT drag radials dropping the clutch at 4k it hooks up ran a best of 10.87 @ 128 but hit the rev limiter a few hundred feet from the line. Installing lower gears this spring.
I drive the car hard on the street! Im guessing im on borrowed time but nothing has broke yet! The Centri blowers are much easier on the drivetrain. Car feels like stock until about 3k then you better hang on!
I would add new tires to your list of parts too the car will spin the tires in 4th above 70mph!

Cant go wrong with any type of Boost!!!

Thanks for posting your results.
10 second Boss is very impressive. What Tune?

_Snake_

Established Member

Thank you

I think you may have received some bad info. The factory radiator doesn't need to be replaced. I wasn't sure so I called Procharger to confirm (I also have a P1SC1 on my 2013 Boss, and it has the OEM radiator).

alvarop

Established Member
I called kenne bell. Procharger , Paxton. After speaking to everyone I came across a place called beefcake racing they sell blower kits and great prices . Anyone hear for them ?

I am leaning towards the novi 2200 kit , comes with , 1000cc injector , boost a pump. Inter cooled . Self oil . Sct programmer and tune. 6000 shipped .

I am looking for 600 rwhp . Lots of room to grow the intel air is vented up front not from rear sucking in hot header air like the Procharger .

I read the 2200 is not street friendly any truth ?

Anyone have this kit ?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I called kenne bell. Procharger , Paxton. After speaking to everyone I came across a place called beefcake racing they sell blower kits and great prices . Anyone hear for them ?

I am leaning towards the novi 2200 kit , comes with , 1000cc injector , boost a pump. Inter cooled . Self oil . Sct programmer and tune. 6000 shipped .

I am looking for 600 rwhp . Lots of room to grow the intel air is vented up front not from rear sucking in hot header air like the Procharger .

I read the 2200 is not street friendly any truth ?

Anyone have this kit ?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Yes we know who he is lol. I live across town from Terry Beefcake Reeves. He may be slower than JPC, but he is a well recognized name in drag racing.

Users who are viewing this thread