2012 boss 302 full bottom end re build

J.Shoot

Established Member
Feeling your pain....

I can sympathize with you..... My #8 cylinder let go also. I'm getting my lower end rebuilt and will hopefully have it back soon. Not real sure of the exact problem but I'm afraid it may have been due to the fuel and Torco mix.
At the time we were making about 773 rwhp on 12 lbs of boost.

I hope you get yours worked out.

Good luck,
J.Shoot

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
I can sympathize with you..... My #8 cylinder let go also. I'm getting my lower end rebuilt and will hopefully have it back soon. Not real sure of the exact problem but I'm afraid it may have been due to the fuel and Torco mix.
At the time we were making about 773 rwhp on 12 lbs of boost.

I hope you get yours worked out.

Good luck,
J.Shoot

This is why You never allow a shop who hasn't tuned 100's or 1000's of the 5.0's touch your car. Yeah they may be local and say they will Do a awesome job but truth be told they will blow ur engine and blame it on u. Boss engines just don't blow up.

J.Shoot

Established Member
I can assure you, my shop has tuned plenty of mustangs. The problem was not the tune.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
I can assure you, my shop has tuned plenty of mustangs. The problem was not the tune.

Yes quality parts that are able to handle the job are required which should be part of the build and the tuner should be suggesting such. I still think that under a rough number (RWHP & RWTQ) these engines shouldn't be just letting go man :beer:

guarnibl

Established Member
Im on my phone so can't answer all the questions now but heres what I can say off top of my head. 15lbs, 80"lbs injectors not sure what kind, a ford boost a pump, the ford racing throttle body, jlt carbon fiber intake, khooks headers and h pip no cats, running stock muffs with side pipe wide open, 91 oc for gas, gt500 upgrade hest exchanger dule fans. Amp performance in az tuned it and did multiple pulls even after car was at running temps but that was in December last year. When it went I did 1 pull onto the free way 40 to 120ish found a shellby that wanted to go did 1 pull 60 to 150 and right after another 60 to 170. The temp out side was about 80. After it whent all gages looked fine but atf was off of course. Im not 100% but pretty sure at wot it was close to 12.1. As far as everything else im not sure. And im going 9.1 compression just to be more safe when I do eventually put the 4.0 on there same for the return fule and and bigger injectors. To be 100% honest I think it was me telling them I want what I can get so they put it below its pissed off point and the oil from no catch cans was just enough after the 3 pulls. Idk and amp wasnt the first shop to touch the car they only fixed the tune from the previous shit shop I was new to tbe muscle car thing so I was dumb didnt look around

I have the exact same setup as you power wise (less boost) -- I've never had a ton of oil in the catch can..... sounds like bad install or bad tune or just too much boost on pump.

Really sucks to blow a motor :(

15 psi...there's a good reason both Lund and Carl from CompAuto said never go above 10 psi on 91. I always run 100 octane and I'm at 10 psi.

Though.. I don't see how you're only making 660 to the wheels at 15 psi. Are you sure you're hitting 15 psi w/ the longtubes (you're running the Whipple 2.8 right) ? I was hitting 13-14 psi and when I put on the exhaust/intake/tb it dropped to 10. I'm on a 2.3 whipple @ 10 psi and making 600 rwhp on 91.

Last edited:

666boss302

Established Member
I have the exact same setup as you power wise (less boost) -- I've never had a ton of oil in the catch can..... sounds like bad install or bad tune or just too much boost on pump.

Really sucks to blow a motor :(

15 psi...there's a good reason both Lund and Carl from CompAuto said never go above 10 psi on 91. I always run 100 octane and I'm at 10 psi.

Though.. I don't see how you're only making 660 to the wheels at 15 psi. Are you sure you're hitting 15 psi w/ the longtubes (you're running the Whipple 2.8 right) ? I was hitting 13-14 psi and when I put on the exhaust/intake/tb it dropped to 10. I'm on a 2.3 whipple @ 10 psi and making 600 rwhp on 91.

It could be lower psi but not sure I just went off tbe gage. Also I had the 2.3 and wi5h everything on 91 and got 585 rwhp. They also tune the car @ running temp and do 3 ru s with it that way. Honestly im not 100% sure what happened I just know the shop I go to now is one of the best for mustangs in az. And im working on a complet fule system to run e85. You said you had the whipple 2.9 on your car before and now to a 2.3? And where did you get your work done

guarnibl

Established Member
It could be lower psi but not sure I just went off tbe gage. Also I had the 2.3 and wi5h everything on 91 and got 585 rwhp. They also tune the car @ running temp and do 3 ru s with it that way. Honestly im not 100% sure what happened I just know the shop I go to now is one of the best for mustangs in az. And im working on a complet fule system to run e85. You said you had the whipple 2.9 on your car before and now to a 2.3? And where did you get your work done

I went with the 2.3. I was asking about the 2.9. If I said 2.9 it was a typo :) E85 will certainly help you -- but 15 and 91 isn't a good combination. I'm running the 2.3 and hitting 10 psi (only WOT for extended periods, otherwise it's 9). How much boost were you hitting for 585 rwhp on your 2.3? I'm hitting around 600 to the wheels @ 10 psi but again, that's a Whipple 2.3. I'm looking at the 2.9 pulley combinations and I guess it does look like you're going to make more boost than I would on the same pulley size. I'm running the 2.875" pulley which is rated for 14 PSI and only hitting 10 -- but I'm running the Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body, JLT (same as yours) Intake, Kooks Longtubes, Kooks Catted H-Pipe, Kooks Side Pipes, and stock mufflers. It put down 580 on a 5th gear pull and 600 on 4th gear pull. This was on a 91 tune hitting 10 PSI at the gauge. Think it was like 540 ft lb.

I didn't go with the 2.9 because any more power and the car wouldn't be terribly controllable, and I don't really run people on the highway (too dangerous). It's fun for short bursts, but that's all I do -- so I went with the 2.3 :) I just like the whine and the added power here and there. Also the 2.9 runs at a starting point of 11 psi on the largest pulley, so I don't think I would have been safe on 91 octane with a 2.9 anyway.

E85 you'll be safe -- and it's a great way to run the car if you don't daily drive it or if you have E85 near by that's easy access on pump. I don't have that any more (did before) when AZ changed the laws requiring a separate entire pumping system for E85 as compared to regular gas. As such the local gas station near me (Tom's thumb) took the pump out. There's only 95 and 100 there and the 95 basically is never used, so I don't trust it and choose 100 instead. I put 250 miles a month on the car so that's 1.5 tanks of gas -- no reason for me not to use 100 and the power is plenty for me.

If you're doing such a massive build right now with the motor down -- you might as well sell the 2.9 and buy the Kenne Bell 3.6 or 4.2 :)

My buddy and I do all the work ourselves. It's tuned by Carl @ Comp Auto in NC and dyno'd locally (he tunes hundreds of Mustangs and was the first Boss 302 LS tuned with a blower on it). I don't trust the shops here locally -- I rather go with a tuner I trust and has a solid reputation (on a personal level). There's only a few tuners in the country I would even consider using. Phoenix is a chevy and import town -- but shops are certainly getting better. If I had to tune it again, I would probably go with John Lund next time around only because I think his turnaround would be quicker.

Shoot me a PM. You're free to come see the car and everything and talk with my buddy. I go to Pavilions every now and again on Saturdays. I'll probably go this weekend.

Last edited:

666boss302

Established Member
I went with the 2.3. I was asking about the 2.9. If I said 2.9 it was a typo :) E85 will certainly help you -- but 15 and 91 isn't a good combination. I'm running the 2.3 and hitting 10 psi (only WOT for extended periods, otherwise it's 9). How much boost were you hitting for 585 rwhp on your 2.3? I'm hitting around 600 to the wheels @ 10 psi but again, that's a Whipple 2.3. I'm looking at the 2.9 pulley combinations and I guess it does look like you're going to make more boost than I would on the same pulley size. I'm running the 2.875" pulley which is rated for 14 PSI and only hitting 10 -- but I'm running the Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body, JLT (same as yours) Intake, Kooks Longtubes, Kooks Catted H-Pipe, Kooks Side Pipes, and stock mufflers. It put down 580 on a 5th gear pull and 600 on 4th gear pull. This was on a 91 tune hitting 10 PSI at the gauge. Think it was like 540 ft lb.

I didn't go with the 2.9 because any more power and the car wouldn't be terribly controllable, and I don't really run people on the highway (too dangerous). It's fun for short bursts, but that's all I do -- so I went with the 2.3 :) I just like the whine and the added power here and there. Also the 2.9 runs at a starting point of 11 psi on the largest pulley, so I don't think I would have been safe on 91 octane with a 2.9 anyway.

E85 you'll be safe -- and it's a great way to run the car if you don't daily drive it or if you have E85 near by that's easy access on pump. I don't have that any more (did before) when AZ changed the laws requiring a separate entire pumping system for E85 as compared to regular gas. As such the local gas station near me (Tom's thumb) took the pump out. There's only 95 and 100 there and the 95 basically is never used, so I don't trust it and choose 100 instead. I put 250 miles a month on the car so that's 1.5 tanks of gas -- no reason for me not to use 100 and the power is plenty for me.

If you're doing such a massive build right now with the motor down -- you might as well sell the 2.9 and buy the Kenne Bell 3.6 or 4.2 :)

My buddy and I do all the work ourselves. It's tuned by Carl @ Comp Auto in NC and dyno'd locally (he tunes hundreds of Mustangs and was the first Boss 302 LS tuned with a blower on it). I don't trust the shops here locally -- I rather go with a tuner I trust and has a solid reputation (on a personal level). There's only a few tuners in the country I would even consider using. Phoenix is a chevy and import town -- but shops are certainly getting better. If I had to tune it again, I would probably go with John Lund next time around only because I think his turnaround would be quicker.

Shoot me a PM. You're free to come see the car and everything and talk with my buddy. I go to Pavilions every now and again on Saturdays. I'll probably go this weekend.

Hell ya it'd be sick to meet up when mines all done. The 2.9 is running a 3.2 somthing pully so it might not even be 15 psi. Not to sure but one thing im probably going to do is water meth while its in the shop now and have it open off boost well pm you here in a few days with my # cars at the shop its at now so no turning back lol

guarnibl

Established Member
Hell ya it'd be sick to meet up when mines all done. The 2.9 is running a 3.2 somthing pully so it might not even be 15 psi. Not to sure but one thing im probably going to do is water meth while its in the shop now and have it open off boost well pm you here in a few days with my # cars at the shop its at now so no turning back lol

You're running the 16 psi pulley. However, you're running longtube headers and JLT so you're probably losing a few PSI.

I would add the MMR cooling mod (significantly helps for #8) right away.

Some stuff that would help keep that vehicle cool that I would add slowly over time :

FRPP Boss 302S Radiator (M-8005-MGT)
FRPP Boss 302S Oil Cooler (M-6642-MB)
FRPP Boss 302S Grille (M-8200-MBR)
Tiger Racing Boss 302S Hood

Good luck....

Last edited:

666boss302

Established Member
Here are some pics i finally got around to posting have more otw

10001548_836152493067589_295276997_n.jpg

1899990_833418763340962_1066825668_n.jpg

1654014_823789637637208_1531466770_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-
9/1911719_823789607637211_1982588964_n.jpg
1465411_778637565485749_999563089_n.jpg

1526929_784561731559999_1482586823_n.jpg

666boss302

Established Member
Not together yet they found one of my timing chain tensioner didnt have a spring... So new one will be in this week, good part is I said **** it and decided to also add stage 3 blower cams from comp so it sound be done around april 5th :) will keep the post coming as it progress. And not my ps4 :( its my brothers lol!

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Not together yet they found one of my timing chain tensioner didnt have a spring... So new one will be in this week, good part is I said **** it and decided to also add stage 3 blower cams from comp so it sound be done around april 5th :) will keep the post coming as it progress. And not my ps4 :( its my brothers lol!

Hahaha PS4 comment. Anways... You have to post results with blower cam sir!!!!! :thumbsup:

666boss302

Established Member
Hahaha PS4 comment. Anways... You have to post results with blower cam sir!!!!! :thumbsup:

I will for sure 100% sucks I wont know the true gains of the cams because all the other work thats going into it but it's almost impossible to find a video of what it sounds like

Users who are viewing this thread