2012 5.0 vs 2010 SS

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
The video I posted was meant to show the o.p. that a bolt on 5th gen will be no match for a stock 5.0. I can post videos all day long of different outcomes on both side of the fence. It makes no sense. A bolt on 5th gen with the proper driver vs a stock 5.0 with the proper driver would not result in a win for the 5.0. Mod for mod is a different story. His original race was between a modded camaro and his stock 5.0

The video I posted was of a 2010 with headers against a stock 5.0. Who's talking about more mods than that?

dynasty_365

Established Member
Y does ford put such bullshit tires on the gt500. All that power and it can't put it down to the ground. Better yet y does it put the tires that's on the 5.0 on there. Imagine if it had tires with the width of the camaro ones or corvette tires. I thinky 2004 gt tires were wider than my 5.0 tires from the looks but I can't exactly recall

and yea we only talking full exhaust including headers. No other bolt ons guys.

Sinister is right in Houston. What is that 3 hours away from me. Oughta meet in the middle of Texas and Louisiana and race on camera for the forums. Looks like u hbe full exhaust but u have a cai too huh

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Dang, I could have sworn your point was that the LS just really pulls up top....

period.

Which isn't nearly the same thing as saying a modded SS > a stock 5.0.

I guess you just assumed a lot and never really read any of my posts then.

Talking about the race in question, an SS with headers vs. a stock 5.0.

If the Camaro has headers (and most likely a tune and CAI) it's not going to lose from a roll. They're all top end.

Gears definitely help but it still pulls much harder up top.

It pulls hard up top period. Most LS engine cars do. I was specifically referring to how it pulls up top compared to it's low end though.

Yes the 5.0 is faster at the track, but the weight advantage is less once the cars are rolling. Like I said, the SS has a great top end and is much better from a roll than a dig.

I've said already that with equal drivers the 5.0 is faster at the track. From a roll it's a much closer race and when you throw in headers on the Camaro (like the car the OP is supposed to race) the advantage goes to the Camaro.

Don't see what the debate is. :shrug:

Y does ford put such bullshit tires on the gt500. All that power and it can't put it down to the ground. Better yet y does it put the tires that's on the 5.0 on there. Imagine if it had tires with the width of the camaro ones or corvette tires. I thinky 2004 gt tires were wider than my 5.0 tires from the looks but I can't exactly recall

and yea we only talking full exhaust including headers. No other bolt ons guys.

This is about the 4th time I've seen someone say "If Ford put the same tires on the Shelby that the Camaro had.." Well, things would just get worse for the Shelby. The Shelby comes with 9.5" wide wheels and 285's on the back. The Camaro has 9" wide wheels and 275's.

dynasty_365 said:
Sinister is right in Houston. What is that 3 hours away from me. Oughta meet in the middle of Texas and Louisiana and race on camera for the forums. Looks like u hbe full exhaust but u have a cai too huh

I would love to accommodate you, but my car was cammed making 466rwhp, 661 on spray. Now I'm adding a 416 stroker, ported heads, FAST 102/102, more spray, and eventually a direct port set up with even more.

I only ran once at the track with the headers, and it went 12.68@111 on the stock 20" radials. My clutch was hating me that night.

dynasty_365

Established Member
Nah I was saying a wider tire on the gt is what I meant. Seemed like my 04 gt wheels were wider but I may b mistaken. With the cobra it just needs a different compound. A sticker softer tire. I went to the dealership a couple months ago and tapped on a gt500 tire and it was like knocking on a marble countertop. Shit is rock hard.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
that was the slowest TVS blown 5th gen ever in the vid, a stock GT500 didn't even walk my GTO that bad

Walk? Keep watching, it was a drivers race. The only car that walked was the procharged 3valve because it was a good 300-500lbs lighter than the GT500 and Camaro.

[youtube_browser]h7jnsUb6Xgk[/youtube_browser]

Also, it's kind of hard to compare a ZL575 to a 5th gen with an aftermarket tuner kit. This is an SLP prepared car, (it's on the conservative side to stay emissions legal and factory car reliability).

Anyways, the argument that 'weight doesn't matter' at rolling speeds is one I will never agree with. :shrug:

Dyno Test: 2010 SLP ZL575 Chevy Camaro

That's about 50-60rwhp more than a stock 2011 GT500. At the track, motor week trapped 121mph, and InsideLine trapped 116.9mph. We all saw what happened when the two raced from a roll in the video I posted above. The two cars are fairly evenly matched cars despite the power advantage the Camaro holds.

The only explanation to me is, the car likely weighs a tad over 4,000lbs with the TVS, intercooler and supporting plumbing. The 50-60rwhp advantage makes up for it.

I wish weight didn't mean shit at rolling speeds, my VR4 would've done a whole lot better against those pesky 3200lb DSMs with inferior gearing, inferior aerodynamics, less torque, less power under the curve and less peak hp. :cuss:

I've also seen little 2700lb turbo Civics and SRT4s racing with a big power disadvantage absolutely tear up all sorts of big HP cars on the expressway. Those little 5spd economy shaped cars hold no phenomenal aerodynamic or gearing advantage.

If we were debating races to 170mph+ that would be a different story. Then we could start to rule out weight from the equation and start debating the aerodynamics and gearing advantage one car holds over the other and maybe even power under the curve when accelerating in overdrive gears. 99.9% of us don't race to those speeds though.

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Nah I was saying a wider tire on the gt is what I meant. Seemed like my 04 gt wheels were wider but I may b mistaken. With the cobra it just needs a different compound. A sticker softer tire. I went to the dealership a couple months ago and tapped on a gt500 tire and it was like knocking on a marble countertop. Shit is rock hard.

Ah ok, that makes sense.

Lol guess I'll pass on that race kmsl. I can't lie if u pulled ip next to me I wouldn't care I'd still run u lmao

:thumbsup::beer:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I thinky 2004 gt tires were wider than my 5.0 tires from the looks but I can't exactly recall

haha they were.

The older 2valves came 245s, the new 2011s come with 235s. :lol:

I honestly don't get it either.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
That's crazy. I see 255's are optional. That's sad that the optional larger size tires are 255's. This is a Pony Car not a mall crawler.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
That's crazy. I see 255's are optional. That's sad that the optional larger size tires are 255's. This is a Pony Car not a mall crawler.

The 255s are optional on the GT/CS.

245s are optional with the premium package with premium 19s. :beer:

235s (18s)
2011-Ford-Mustang-GT1.jpg

245s (19s)
11Must_SKV_6402-500x332.jpg

255s (19s)
DSC00091editedsmall.JPG

Kimcobra

Established Member
Fastest bolt on car listed on camaro5 runs 11.71 @114.
Number 2 car runs 11.78 @ 117.49

Those numbers arent possible in a stock 5.0
Discuss.

:lol: Thats it really?? full bolt on car?? no wonder you guys hangout on a FORD site..2010 5.0 auto tune only car..no slicks and skinnies..stock tires [email protected] a CAI on it and tires 12.0@@115,,now add full exhaust you get the picture..plain and simple..a stock 5.0 will outrun a stock SS get over it,,and its not even a close race,,so add headers to the SS and you have a close race..its street racing anything can happen,does he have a shot at beating the SS Hell Yes..now why the 6 pages of bullshit??

Kimcobra

Established Member
and Sinister04L man I hate to call you out but you said Headers only you went 12.68@111 right? tune only Auto 2011 5.0 went 12.4@114... thats a tune only.. means the car is stock.. so see it is possible..because you can't tell if a car has been tuned..:shrug:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
and Sinister04L man I hate to call you out but you said Headers only you went 12.68@111 right? tune only Auto 2011 5.0 went 12.4@114... thats a tune only.. means the car is stock.. so see it is possible..because you can't tell if a car has been tuned..:shrug:

It's all good. I only ran once at the track on the stock 20" tires. I'm sure with a lot more seat time that time would be bested by a lot, and with tires by a lot more.

Ok, ONE MORE TIME. I'm getting tired of repeating myself over and over and over. The 5.0 is faster than the SS at the track. It's especially true with the auto. The SS is a lot better on the top end than it is through the 1/8th. Once you get both of these cars rolling on the highway the race is much closer.

Yeah, I'm going to have to say that you are in fact dense. The SS pulls hard from a roll. Did I say that it pulls harder than a 5.0? Ever? Nope. I further explained my stance that most of the advantage at the track for the 5.0 is during the 1/8th due to the weight and gearing difference. Out on the highway it's much closer. Add mods to the SS (anywhere from 25-50rwhp depending on what exactly the SS in question has done) then all else being equal, I don't see it losing. That's the scenario the OP has in front of him.

But please continue to be stupid, it's entertaining.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
The 5.0 will have the same exact advantage rolling it does at the track against the ss.

This is what you continue to deny and assert "nooooo ls are roll monsters, pull better up top" and yet can't point out any reason why you think this. Not the gearing, not the power curve, nothing, you just say it out of emotion for your car.

But I'm the dense one...

Users who are viewing this thread