2011 Mustang OT discussion

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Can't wait to hear these on road courses! Some Motortrend numbers:

2011 MUSTANG 5.0 DOHC PREM. (412HP, 7k RPM redline, 6spd, limited slip)

wt 3620 lbs 55/45 % dist

45-65 2.1 sec

60-0 105 ft

Lat accel .94g avg

MUSTANG V6 3.7L DOHC PREM. (305hp, 6850rpm redline, 6 spd, limited slip)

3464 lbs 54/46 % Dist

60-0 104ft

45-65 mph 2.7 sec

Lat accel .96g

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I wish it was mine you'd see out there. Alas, 'tis not to be.
The handling of the S197 mixed with that power and torque....

homer-drool-702026.gif

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would love to drop THAT V8 in an RX7 instead of the chebbie lsx motors.
That or swap into a 3 series BMW that someone has tracked their six to death.
This engine is more narrow than my 04 engine, lighter, makes almost the same power as the stock version while still N/A, and has a vastly improved cooling designs, best flowing heads of any production Ford car and is going to sell, SELL, SELL!!!

The classic hot rod formula is hot motor + light car= fast car!!!

We are kinda hurting on the light part, but so is the competition and even more so! LOL!

I am expecting grand things from these cars with both engines on track!!

The physics dictates two rather nice outcomes and that is before any hot rodders get a hold of one.

Picture picking up a two year old program car, just add roll bar, pads, fresh fluid and tires.

9 quart oil pan STOCK!!!:beer: Did I read that right?

Glory Days!!!

Maynor

Established Member
I'm just waiting for an IRS to come back to the Mustang.. With that motor... it'll be the right time to get back into the Mustang habit! Don't get me wrong, S197 chassis is a huge improvement over SN95 but I'm still an IRS kinda guy.

Come on Ford. Bring it back.

John

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
The car seems like it is good to go on paper...but forgive me if I reserve judgment for what kind of track performance these cars can achieve in the real world. Too many people seem to associate what the street cars can do with what the FR cars are capable of.

Sorry....I've just been disappointed too many times. :)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The car seems like it is good to go on paper...but forgive me if I reserve judgment for what kind of track performance these cars can achieve in the real world. Too many people seem to associate what the street cars can do with what the FR cars are capable of.

Understandable kinda there right now myself.

We may see that the lighter V6 cars are the one to go with, though any brake mods will have to be done on our own, and gears too most likely.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Understandable kinda there right now myself.

We may see that the lighter V6 cars are the one to go with, though any brake mods will have to be done on our own, and gears too most likely.

Jimmy:

Brake mods are the easy part. Bolt on a set of Shlby brakes and you're off to the races! :thumbsup:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy:

Brake mods are the easy part. Bolt on a set of Shlby brakes and you're off to the races! :thumbsup:

Exactly what I was thinking.. 14" GT500 brakes, 4.10 or 3.73 gears and that secretary's V6 would be lapping pretty damn quick!

I wish Ford would give us some of those euro goodies though, I could dig running a Hotted up Fiesta again if it had some power...or a Focus RS.

Light cars are BLAST!!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Exactly what I was thinking.. 14" GT500 brakes, 4.10 or 3.73 gears and that secretary's V6 would be lapping pretty damn quick!

I wish Ford would give us some of those euro goodies though, I could dig running a Hotted up Fiesta again if it had some power...or a Focus RS.

Light cars are BLAST!!

Focus RS FTW!!!! :dancenana:

Maynor

Established Member
Jimmy:

Man, one thing I miss about the Mustang world is the relatively lower cost invovled and wider set of options for parts like brakes. Versus a BMW for instance.

Thankfully, an E36 M3's brakes stock are pretty damn good. Especially with ducting and real pads. I don't need a big brake upgrade but damn, if you went for a big brake kit, forgetaboutit! $3k - $5k range for calipers.

Stoopid money.

Also, I see myself in another Mustang sometime in the future because they are really improving by leaps and bounds. However, I think it would be my street car only. Leave the track to dedicated cars with full safety etc...

John

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member

And what do you think is the difference between an FR car and a stripped and caged "street car"?

The car Rehagen won the championship with last year started life as a wrecked street car. I have been amazed how close they are to street cars honestly. The main differences were the engine and trans, which will now be close to the same with the 2011 drivetrain.

Last edited:

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Why does the v6 accelerate at .96 vs the gt at .94.

Those are 300ft? skidpad numbers. Average lateral accelleration g-force. I'm not sure what device they were using to record it, but it's probobly at their web site if not in the article. When they tested a '96 Cobra back in '96 they got .89g's.

PETSNKE

Established Member
You have to like the fact you can order a Mustang GT with a Brembo 4-piston brake kit:

Option 55D
Brembo Brake Package - $1,695
FR 14" Brembo rotors & 4-piston calipers; RR 2-piston calipers; Unique ESC tuning; Front and rear alloy wheels with 19 inch rim diam and 9.0 inch rim width; Front and rear conventional tires with 255 mm tire width and 40% tire profile; Tire kit; Excludes: [402A] Rapid Spec - California Special And [443] 6-Speed Automatic Transmission And [64M] 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels And [64X] 19" Bright Machined Aluminum Wheels And [64V] 19" Premium Painted Luster Nickel Aluminum Wheels

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
You have to like the fact you can order a Mustang GT with a Brembo 4-piston brake kit:

Option 55D
Brembo Brake Package - $1,695
FR 14" Brembo rotors & 4-piston calipers; RR 2-piston calipers; Unique ESC tuning; Front and rear alloy wheels with 19 inch rim diam and 9.0 inch rim width; Front and rear conventional tires with 255 mm tire width and 40% tire profile; Tire kit; Excludes: [402A] Rapid Spec - California Special And [443] 6-Speed Automatic Transmission And [64M] 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels And [64X] 19" Bright Machined Aluminum Wheels And [64V] 19" Premium Painted Luster Nickel Aluminum Wheels

I hope that rear rotor is larger than the std. GT!?!? Would be nice, but I have no clue.

I see a Mustang GT somewhere in my future. Imagine if you will, a track car under factory warranty! :-D

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
I hope that rear rotor is larger than the std. GT!?!? Would be nice, but I have no clue.

I see a Mustang GT somewhere in my future. Imagine if you will, a track car under factory warranty! :-D

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

One of the reviews (motortrend?) said they had some front brake issues and mentioned this very thing. (that perhaps the larger front rotors were not balanced well with the rears)

racebronco2

Established Member
Those are 300ft? skidpad numbers. Average lateral accelleration g-force. I'm not sure what device they were using to record it, but it's probobly at their web site if not in the article. When they tested a '96 Cobra back in '96 they got .89g's.

So why is the v6 better on the skid pad then the v8?

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
So why is the v6 better on the skid pad then the v8?

Less weight, better distributed weight and the new 305hp v6 doesn't give anything up to the new 5.0 on the skid pad.

I could see myself buying a used '11 in a few years and building it into a track car, maybe even a v6 with a supercharger or turbo added on.

Users who are viewing this thread