2011 gt500...aluminum block?

svtseeker

Established Member
i've read a couple rumors that the 2011 will get an aluminum block rather than the cast iron one they have now.. is this true or just a rumor?

if so that should bring weight down to around 3750 or 3800lbs.

chuckstang

Established Member
my gt500 weighs 3785 with a quarter tank and without me in it

So with same options and so on would be about 3685

and well yes

those that know have been saying it

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i can assure you that this is a rumor... ...in other words, we're gonna find out next year. i also believe that the "100lbs lighter" schpiel is a bit optimistic. i would guess about 75 or so. either way, dropping weight, and dropping it in the right place!!!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
well it would be nice but suck for us who cant buy it. lol

chuckstang

Established Member
Its not a rumor, come on with it.

Take it for what ever you want but those that are right ever single time (never wrong) have been very clear.

100 pounds lighter is not an exageration

chuckstang

Established Member
No, it would be super cool if they put a true IRS out back with the Al block

that would be perfect 50/50

Dave07997S

Established Member
Well the FRPP catalog already has a wetsump Al. block for the 5.4L, I think it's just a matter of time until this makes its way into the GT500. The scuttlebutt is that the Al. block will surface in the 2011 GT500. I agree with Chuck, drop 80lbs off of the front and do an IRS to get the weight distribution more balanced. I don't know if it would be 50/50 but it definitely will be better than the 57/43 it now has, not to mention all that unsprung weight it will lose.

Dave

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
No, it would be super cool if they put a true IRS out back with the Al block

that would be perfect 50/50

I enjoyed the IRS in the '03 Cobra. I almost considered converting my '96 to IRS. I was disappointed when the '05 Mustang didn't get the IRS...then the 4000 pound Challenger and Camaro showed up. Now I'm thinking maybe Ford made the right decision.

The only things that I don't like about an IRS for the Shelby are the additional cost on an already $50k vehicle, and the fact that it would substantially increase the mass. Even using the aluminum block would not be enough to offset the mass added with an IRS.

Just my opinion.

chuckstang

Established Member
Well an IRS would not add 100 pounds adding an IRS and going to AL block would still weigh less than current GT500 and any poundage lost is awsome!

The car is even fine as is, this is just icing on the cake

svtseeker

Established Member
awesome to hear guys!! looks like i'll probably wait for a 2011 just in case they do go with the aluminum block..i can see 11s stock with a well prepped track, nice weather,and good driver with these new gt500s.

chuckstang

Established Member
awesome to hear guys!! looks like i'll probably wait for a 2011 just in case they do go with the aluminum block..i can see 11s stock with a well prepped track, nice weather,and good driver with these new gt500s.

It has been done already on a bone stock 08 KR

Dave07997S

Established Member
While an IRS will add some weight to an already heavy car, the unsprung weight would drop by quite a bit. Making the car feel lighter on it's feet and the ride and handling would also be better.

If the car didn't get the IRS at least 80lbs off of the nose of this car would do wonders for the handling especially with wider front tires. Also it would help straight line performance not only because of the actual weight loss but also it will let the weight transfer to the rear faster on acceleration.

Dave

svtseeker

Established Member
It has been done already on a bone stock 08 KR

yea im aware, but the KR's had 3.73s(with same power as the 2010) which helped them a lot, i was just stating that i think the 2010 can do it with the 3.55 gears, just haven't seen good conditions and a good driver yet(i think best time so far is a 12.4?? w/ 114mph??) correct me if im wrong on this.

i really appreciate all the info you have given me chuck

chuckstang

Established Member
yea im aware, but the KR's had 3.73s(with same power as the 2010) which helped them a lot, i was just stating that i think the 2010 can do it with the 3.55 gears, just haven't seen good conditions and a good driver yet(i think best time so far is a 12.4?? w/ 114mph??) correct me if im wrong on this.

i really appreciate all the info you have given me chuck

Oh ya, def :rockon:

svtseeker

Established Member
^^ya i agree w/ ya. weight is a key factor when it comes to performance. i test drove an 08gt500(first one i've drove)convertable a couple days ago and was very impressed w/ the car. rides much better than my camaro ss(99 model),

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Its not a rumor, come on with it.

Take it for what ever you want but those that are right ever single time (never wrong) have been very clear.

100 pounds lighter is not an exageration
such as? frankly, it was stated a while back and things have been changing quite a bit lately. i don't give a damn whether it gets one or not since i wont be buying one, but i'm not just jumping on board of the months old rumor. it was said a while back and has only been spread by pawns since then.

please, post your source, because i can't find a damn thing about the weights. FRPP says the iron block weighs 239lbs, the aluminum GT block weighs 220lbs, and the new wet sump aluminum block weighs 100lbs. the iron block, probably right, the GT block, seems off and should be quite a bit lighter, and the wet sump, LOL, yea somethings obviously up between the GT and this one.

Users who are viewing this thread