2011 5.0L Clutch Pedal Issue Fix

blue 87 stroked

Established Member
I had Ford do the TSB work on mine on Thursday and then I installed the clutch/slave cylinder line and it worked about 9/10 times. The last time I tried a high rpm run before I got home it still stayed on the floor. The assist spring in the assembly is gonna have to come off and if that doesn't work, twin disc he we come! Ford should have just used the same assembly as the GT500. Which is essentially taking the assist spring off!

MyGT8U

Established Member
Just happened to me today for the first time. Did a rolling burnout in 1st and the clutch pedal also got stuck half way on my '12 GT

cbaty08

Established Member
Just happened to me today for the first time. Did a rolling burnout in 1st and the clutch pedal also got stuck half way on my '12 GT

Welcome to the club! I'm afraid there is nothing Ford will do to fix this issue unfortunately.

Let us know what they say if you take it in.

Zilairin

Established Member
I took the new coil spring off my stock assembly, leaving just the spring on the shaft and it has fixed the sticking to the floor problem. It feels slightly stiffer but much better and haven't had it stick since. Best FREE mod I have done so far. It came off with a flathead screwdriver and the upper mount pin can be removed with pressure to the floorboard but I pried mine off the lower rod. Luckily the top pin didn't break the composite since I didn't see the way it should have come out. It is greasy so be careful with carpet. I can also reinstall if I ever feel the need to.

implosive

Established Member
this has been happening to my 5.0 the last couple of days. lower gears are fine, 4th to 5th left my clutch about 2 inches from the floor at 120mph :/. then today 3rd to 4th got semi stuck but came back pretty quick. Can anyone clarify with a little more detail on how they took out this "helper(hurter, apparently :/ ) spring? I'd rather not have ford rip out my transmission unless I really need too. The car has always shifted beautifully with no whine or lockouts, I'd hate to to give it to ford and possibly come back with other problems.

btw this is also on a 2012 with a september build date

najay

Established Member
this has been happening to my 5.0 the last couple of days. lower gears are fine, 4th to 5th left my clutch about 2 inches from the floor at 120mph :/. then today 3rd to 4th got semi stuck but came back pretty quick. Can anyone clarify with a little more detail on how they took out this "helper(hurter, apparently :/ ) spring? I'd rather not have ford rip out my transmission unless I really need too. The car has always shifted beautifully with no whine or lockouts, I'd hate to to give it to ford and possibly come back with other problems.

btw this is also on a 2012 with a september build date

i found this how-to on the boss 302 forum
clutch-sticking-during-high-rpm-shifts-how-to-fix-it

blue 87 stroked

Established Member
I took the new coil spring off my stock assembly, leaving just the spring on the shaft and it has fixed the sticking to the floor problem. It feels slightly stiffer but much better and haven't had it stick since. Best FREE mod I have done so far. It came off with a flathead screwdriver and the upper mount pin can be removed with pressure to the floorboard but I pried mine off the lower rod. Luckily the top pin didn't break the composite since I didn't see the way it should have come out. It is greasy so be careful with carpet. I can also reinstall if I ever feel the need to.

I took my assist spring off as well after Ford did the TSB repair and I upgraded to the larger slave cylinder line. Like I had said before, Ford did the repair work and I upgraded the line and it STILL did it once out of 10 times or so, but none the less it still did it! I pryed the assist spring off like a neanderthal and broke the composite tab after getting pissed off that it did it some more.

The assist spring removed did add a little resistance to the clutch that is noticable but the car has yet to once have the pedal stick to the floor after I got the spring off! Zilairin must have took his time and got the pin out without breaking the tab like I did, because that thing had also pissed me off and I had no intention on EVER putting it back on. I have taken the car to the track and really beat on it since then and it is the best free mod you will ever do to your ride, clutch pedal problems GONE! F U Very much Ford. . . . And yes there is more than a fair amount of grease on the spring so be careful. Long story short; PULL THE ASSIST SPRING OUT/OFF AND ENJOY YOR CAR THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE ENJOYED!!! :burnout:

gkviper192

Established Member
I took my assist spring off as well after Ford did the TSB repair and I upgraded to the larger slave cylinder line. Like I had said before, Ford did the repair work and I upgraded the line and it STILL did it once out of 10 times or so, but none the less it still did it! I pryed the assist spring off like a neanderthal and broke the composite tab after getting pissed off that it did it some more.

The assist spring removed did add a little resistance to the clutch that is noticable but the car has yet to once have the pedal stick to the floor after I got the spring off! Zilairin must have took his time and got the pin out without breaking the tab like I did, because that thing had also pissed me off and I had no intention on EVER putting it back on. I have taken the car to the track and really beat on it since then and it is the best free mod you will ever do to your ride, clutch pedal problems GONE! F U Very much Ford. . . . And yes there is more than a fair amount of grease on the spring so be careful. Long story short; PULL THE ASSIST SPRING OUT/OFF AND ENJOY YOR CAR THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE ENJOYED!!! :burnout:

took mine off last night and no more hesitation on high RPM shifts, clutch pedal comes right back and I actually prefer the slight increase in pedal feel now

SicShelby09

Banned
took mine off last night and no more hesitation on high RPM shifts, clutch pedal comes right back and I actually prefer the slight increase in pedal feel now

Mine still does it after the assist spring removal and swap to dot 4 sync fluid. No dice. What's next? TSB??

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
So are GT500 pedal clusters not available? I just got my car a few weeks ago and haven't experienced this yet but it seems the band aids mentioned in here are just that. I'm going get the GT500 pedal cluster part number out of ALLDATA sometime this week.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
is it the clutch pedal or the stock clutch that doesnt like the high rpm shifts?

It's a combination of both. We swapped to the gt500 pedal assembly and a McLeod RXT clutch and it never stuck to the floor again.

Last edited:

Tucker

It's the pressure plate, it's not ment for the high RPMs of the 5.0.
My 2013 stock clutch was much beefier than my 11. I changed it to a McCleod for piece of mind and have the stock pedal with helper spring and no problems.

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
Jay,

Thanks for posting. Hust picked up my GTHIG 2013 GT Saturday. After reading this thread was concerned with the issue being on 2013's thinking I should have gone slushbox instead of MT82. Appreciate the input.

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
my 12' had this problem only a couple of times, once it wasnt even at high rpm. i get locked out of second more than anything at high rpm. after reading this i went and took the assist out. all i can say is wow, i've never been able to shift this car that fast. thats how a clutch should feel:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread