2010 or 2011 F-150?

verbal

Established Member
I just got back from the dealership looking at the 2010 F-150. Ford is offering a pretty good rebate right now of $3500 + an additional $1000 off on the window sticker for a XLT package rebate and $1000 off model year end.

All I have been hearing about is the 2011 engine lineup and how much better they are. I would love to have a 2011 but at full price I have a hard time paying $40,000+ for a truck. With the 2010 I would have the $5500 in rebates plus I would probably get it around invoice.

Is it worth waiting and paying more for the 2011 or should I go with the 2010?

Also, is the 2010 5.4 V8 really that outdated?

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
I'm in a similar situation, and ultimately decided to wait, until they offer decent rebates on the '11's. (Though I'm looking for a gasser super duty)

The 5.4 is a good engine, and honestly in a '10 it's gonna be the best it gets. It had issues with the one piece plugs, but supposedly Ford fixed that in '08. Plus with the '10's you get the 6 speed tranny. It's down on power compared to the competition, but has the tq. Gas mileage is probably the biggest knock, and that may have improved with the 6spd. I have a 5.4 2v in my work truck, and the thing is a beast, hauls a heavy boat, does the offroad thing, with lots of hard miles on it. The 3v is a good bit more peppy than the 2v.

Figure the new 5.0 is about the same jump up from the 3v 5.4, as the 3v was to the 2v 5.4, roughly (40hp and 10-15 lb ft). If that makes sense.

IMO I'd take the 5.4 over the 5.0. I'd only consider the '11 if I wanted the ecoboost, or the 6.2. Providing you can find the '10 that you want.

Last edited:

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
I would want an'11 but if I were willing to settle for a 2010 model, I would want them to come down quite a bit more than $5500 and I would want an exceptionally low interest rate.

AAG

Established Member
Wait for an '11. The 50 hp and 15 lb/tq upgrade plus the 1st to 2nd shift fix will be worth it.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Just don't get a V6 in a premium model 1/2 ton truck. I would buy a GM, Ram, Toyota, or Nissan truck B/F I would by a premium F150 with a V6.

6.2 FTW though.

ff500

Established Member
Same position here as well, I test drove a Silverado 2500 HD CC with 6.0 today also a Ram 3500 CC with the Cummings and the new 2011 F350 CC with the 6.2. I loved the F350 and Ram 3500 but the truck I think I'm going to buy tomorrow is the 2010 F150 CC Lariat, its just to good of a deal to pass up. Let them work the kinks out of these new engines and take advantage of some great deals on the 2010's.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I seriously think it is hilarious how many people are saying they are against buying the twin turbo six. I mean, it's not like DODGE came up with this idea. I have heard a LOT of hype about these engines and I think that they AT LEAST deserve consideration.

I really believe the reason Ford is being a little cryptic about what you can get a 6.2 in. I think they are kind of seeing who and how many of the turbo sixes they can move before they wholesale say you can only get a 6.2 in a Raptor, HD, or Platinum. (the word and rumor thus far)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would want an'11 but if I were willing to settle for a 2010 model, I would want them to come down quite a bit more than $5500 and I would want an exceptionally low interest rate.

I would tend to agree with you. I'd want a bigger discount and a good financing rate, although you can get some pretty good financing from AAA, etc. A 1% or 0% would be awesome but with car sales up, the great deals we saw months ago on discounts/financing have started to disappear. I think if I really wanted a 2011 Ford F-150 that I would wait and see if a deal materializes down the road. Otherwise see if the dealer will offer a bit more on the 2010 F-150. JMO.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'd get the 2010 and get a tune/CAI/exhaust to wake it up with the money saved.

I'd be very tempted to do that. The 5.4 is a really good engine when paired with the 6R80 tranny. It makes the same engine with a 4R75 tranny feel like a V6.

verbal

Established Member
Financing is 4.9% with the $5500 in rebates or 0% with $2000 in rebates.

I really don't know how much more you can get out of a dealer past invoice. Are dealers willing to go well below invoice if they want to move a car? It seems like I have had no problem getting a car at invoice for the last to vechicles I bought. It was hardly even a negotiation. I have never tried to go past that though.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
What would the final price be on the 2010?

If its something like a 10k$ difference then the 2010 is probably a better choice and more than adequate. What do you plan on doing with the truck?

Just me, but if i'm financing a new truck, I wouldnt get anything other than a loaded lariat.

ff500

Established Member
Financing is 4.9% with the $5500 in rebates or 0% with $2000 in rebates.

I really don't know how much more you can get out of a dealer past invoice. Are dealers willing to go well below invoice if they want to move a car? It seems like I have had no problem getting a car at invoice for the last to vechicles I bought. It was hardly even a negotiation. I have never tried to go past that though.

Invoice plus rebates is about 10K off sticker, there are also holdbacks and bonuses for dealers to hit so you may be able to negotiate a better deal, also today is the last day of their Month they may need a sale to reach a quota or bonus.

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
Why not wait six months and buy a 2011 w/ 2-5K miles on it, and let someone else take the depreciation hit? You'd probably save yourself around 8-10K, and you'd still get the newest truck out there...

Users who are viewing this thread