2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs. 2008 Shelby GT500

Captain Beyond

Established Member
I disagree, a lot of car mags ran 13.7-13.9s @ 101-103mph in stock LS1s. Obviously they can run faster. I've also personally seen countless LS1 fbodies run high 13s, even low 14s at my track, that doesn't mean they're not capable of much better e.ts. Road & track, and motor trend only mustered 12.60-12.70s with a 2002 Z06 and 13.0s with a 01 Z06, (see link below) does that mean those are real world times with a decent/good driver? More than just a handful of drivers have trapped 113-116mph+ in a GT500, I think that shows it's true capability. IMO, they're are easy 12.5-12.7 cars, give it a little time and you will see more and more of them.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

great post :thumbsup:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
But there is a huge resemblance to a giant smiley face.

2009CamaroConcept.jpg

Seriously, it looks like it was designed straight out of Pixar's Cars. This is the same problem that made me cancel my C6Z order when they revealed it. I can't look at either car and see anything but a goofy smiley face. You get that to a degree with all cars because of the headlight/grill configuration, but when GM adds those egg crates and diving lines it's majorly exacerbated.

That's a smile only a mother can love. :-D
IMO the Challenger is 100x better looking. :coolman:

Last edited:

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
2 things on the camaro IMHO ...
- when I took my son & his friends to Transformers they all gasped at the camaro, we rented it recently for a movie night & there was no reaction, I paused & said 'there's the car you guys liked', they 'it's OK'. I think the initial look of the curves are dramatic & eye catching, but it grows on you - in a bad way.
- what is up with Chevy's friggin emblem. IMHO they are ruining the front of all their cars with this giant gold emblem pasted on. Does the GT500 have a giant blue oval on the grill, uh no. Do they think it's like a Mercedes thing, with a huge hood badge for bling?! It ruins the camaro front, it ruins the malibu front end, and others. I mean it's not even a cool emblem, like the Dodge Ram emblem or something, ugh.

PS- if I were choosing between camaro & challenger - it'd totally depend on the engine/drivetrain - all things being equal I think the Challenger wins on looks.

Formula51

Established Member
I disagree, a lot of car mags ran 13.7-13.9s @ 101-103mph in stock LS1s. Obviously they can run faster. I've also personally seen countless LS1 fbodies run high 13s, even low 14s at my track, that doesn't mean they're not capable of much better e.ts. Road & track, and motor trend only mustered 12.60-12.70s with a 2002 Z06 and 13.0s with a 01 Z06, (see link below) does that mean those are real world times with a decent/good driver? More than just a handful of drivers have trapped 113-116mph+ in a GT500, I think that shows it's true capability. IMO, they're are easy 12.5-12.7 cars, give it a little time and you will see more and more of them.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

Apparently you totally missed the point, along with the rest of the guys. And I already explained Road and Track times.

You guys crack me up.:rolling:

Formula51

Established Member
and i am sure if i really tried i could make the gt500 a mid 15 sec car. and the c6 zo6 a 16 sec car. now what does this prove?

Wow! You win the gold star!

I think this is why I am 24 years old and already have high blood pressure! Well, that or my the whole heredity thing...:bash:

Formula51

Established Member
And to get back on topic for a second. Does anyone here really expect the Challenger to be fast? The car is pretty, but the lowly and hated GTO beat the SRT8 Charger in a head to head comparison. The Challenger looks to have the same power, similar weight, but better gearing coupled with the same skinny, low profile tires which should equal drag strip disaster!

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
And to get back on topic for a second. Does anyone here really expect the Challenger to be fast? The car is pretty, but the lowly and hated GTO beat the SRT8 Charger in a head to head comparison. The Challenger looks to have the same power, similar weight, but better gearing coupled with the same skinny, low profile tires which should equal drag strip disaster!

My WAG: On average 4.5 to 60, and 13.0@109 in the quarter for a manual trans car. I'm sure some will turn stock 12s, others mid 13s.

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
My WAG: On average 4.5 to 60, and 13.0@109 in the quarter for a manual trans car. I'm sure some will turn stock 12s, others mid 13s.

I think the autos will run that, I'd expect the manual cars to be a lil quicker with the 3.92 gears, if driven properly of course.

I really hope the 4160 curb weight that someone posted is wrong, I was hoping the Challenger would come out a lil lighter than the Charger/300, since it's shorter and is missing two doors.

Formula51

Established Member
I think the autos will run that, I'd expect the manual cars to be a lil quicker with the 3.92 gears, if driven properly of course.

I really hope the 4160 curb weight that someone posted is wrong, I was hoping the Challenger would come out a lil lighter than the Charger/300, since it's shorter and is missing two doors.

I'm not sure the driver is going to be able to do much about it. If the 245mm wide tires on 20" rims are correct, then the 3.92 gears are just going to put them up in smoke.

I look for this car to run low 13's on average due to severely limited traction. If the car does not suffer from wheel hop, then I think we will see some solid high 12's with drag radials/slicks. Anyone know how strong the rear ends in these cars are?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
From AllparL

The list price is just under US $38,000, including destination; for that, buyers will get —

* 0-60 in the low-five-second range
* Five seats
* Zero to 100 mph and back in under 17 seconds
* Quarter-mile times under 14 seconds

* 60-0 braking of 110 feet (also reported as 100 feet)
* Skid pad performance of 0.88 g
* A five-speed automatic (no manual transmission yet)

The two-door, rear-wheel drive coupe is based on the successful Dodge Charger sedan, which has found favor among lucky police departments. With a 116-inch wheelbase, the Challenger coupe is four inches shorter than the Charger sedan. With a brake-lock differential, all-speed traction control, and a uniquely-tuned Electronic Stability Program (ESP), the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 offers world-class ride and handling characteristics across a dynamic range.

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Fourcam330

Established Member
From AllparL

I have a problem with the quarter mile stats due to the LX SRT8s (which near the same weight or heavier, with worse gearing and aero) running low 13s even high 12s stock between 108-111 with an auto.

CobraLurker

Established Member
the SRT model will be very tempting, but I'm not looking forward to them making a V6 version simply because it will become the new BALLER car to throw DUBS on, just like the ghetto-fabulous charger. For example:

808866[/ATTACH]"]
8DchrgrVDsdsopn.gif

Attachments

• 8DchrgrVDsdsopn.gif
    8DchrgrVDsdsopn.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
the SRT model will be very tempting, but I'm not looking forward to them making a V6 version simply because it will become to new BALLER car to throw DUBS on, just like the ghetto-fabulous charger. For example:

808891[/ATTACH]"]
8DchrgrVDsdsopn.gif

Those kits work on all types of cars/trucks btw.

Attachments

• 8DchrgrVDsdsopn.gif
    8DchrgrVDsdsopn.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 22

Users who are viewing this thread