2008 gt500 for $26,000 to good to be true?

steele501

Established Member
If I'm having to ask this question it probably is, but it thought I'd get some other opinions.

Found this on autotrader yesterday:
Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com
VEHICLE INFORMATION
Make: Ford
Model: Mustang
Year: 2008
Price: 26000
Mileage: 4300
Body Style: Coupe
Color: Silver
Cylinders: 8 Cylinder
Transmission: Manual
Doors: Two Door
Stereo: Unavailable
Description: 2008 FORD MUSTANG SHELBY GT500

I asked the seller why the price was so low and this was his response:

***Hello,

Thank you for your interest in buying my 2008 Ford Mustang GT500.
I'm selling the car because I need money urgent to pay for my mortgage or I'll lose my house.
It is a 2008 Ford Mustang GT500 with clear title , and the price that I want for it is $26,000 with free shipping (to your location) included. As you can see in pictures the car is in perfect condition, looks like new, it has never been scratched or wrecked was never been abused or raced. I travel a lot because my work but I can ship the car for no extra costs anywhere in USA.
In the past I used for large transactions eBay protection program.
Here is how it works if you have never used eBay vehicle purchase protection program.
You send me your full name and your shipping address so I can initiate the transaction on eBay. eBay contacts you with further details regarding the payment and shipping process.You submit the payment to eBay, eBay confirms the payment and asks me to release the shipment. I ship the car which should be at your door within the next 6 business days. You have a 7 days inspection period before you confirm the deal and eBay forwards the payment to me or you cancel the deal and you get your money back and return the vehicle free of charge.
Basically eBay holds your money safe until you confirm that the car is what you have expected and you want to buy it. It is not a sight unseen deal.
On the other hand I can ship the car knowing eBay has your money and you wont disappear with my car. We are both covered.
Sorry for the long emails I have tried to touch all bases.
So please let me know if you are interested.

Thank You,

John***

Seems fairly legit, but still seems WAY TOO good to be true.:shrug:

Brunos400ex

Established Member
yes its a scam, i found a 1995 gt with a 04 cobra motor swapped in and the guy was asking like $6000 and he sent me the same thing.

steele501

Established Member
If I were truly in the hunt for a gt500 right now I'd follow up with this guy and find out for sure if its legit. But unfortunately I'm not right now so i guess I'll just leave it alone.

sfadchi

Established Member
Tell him you will fly there with a cashiers check to pick the car up. I guarantee you will not get a response back. "I'll have Ebay contact you", yeah sure that's the way it works. It's more like, I'll call you and pretend I'm Ebay, you give me the money and you get nothing.

skyhighsd

Established Member
They must use a pre made form and just enter a few different things. This is almost word for word reply that I saw another guy get for a 07 Z06 that was to cheap to be real. :lol1: Damn scamers

chuckstang

Established Member
Any time you see some BS about somebody needing to sell in a hurry like this, its a scam

I don't even need to look at what price they are asking for it, ITS A SCAM

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
If I'm having to ask this question it probably is, but it thought I'd get some other opinions.

Found this on autotrader yesterday:
Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com
VEHICLE INFORMATION
Make: Ford
Model: Mustang
Year: 2008
Price: 26000
Mileage: 4300
Body Style: Coupe
Color: Silver
Cylinders: 8 Cylinder
Transmission: Manual
Doors: Two Door
Stereo: Unavailable
Description: 2008 FORD MUSTANG SHELBY GT500

I asked the seller why the price was so low and this was his response:

***Hello,

Thank you for your interest in buying my 2008 Ford Mustang GT500.
I'm selling the car because I need money urgent to pay for my mortgage or I'll lose my house.
It is a 2008 Ford Mustang GT500 with clear title , and the price that I want for it is $26,000 with free shipping (to your location) included. As you can see in pictures the car is in perfect condition, looks like new, it has never been scratched or wrecked was never been abused or raced. I travel a lot because my work but I can ship the car for no extra costs anywhere in USA.
In the past I used for large transactions eBay protection program.
Here is how it works if you have never used eBay vehicle purchase protection program.
You send me your full name and your shipping address so I can initiate the transaction on eBay. eBay contacts you with further details regarding the payment and shipping process.You submit the payment to eBay, eBay confirms the payment and asks me to release the shipment. I ship the car which should be at your door within the next 6 business days. You have a 7 days inspection period before you confirm the deal and eBay forwards the payment to me or you cancel the deal and you get your money back and return the vehicle free of charge.
Basically eBay holds your money safe until you confirm that the car is what you have expected and you want to buy it. It is not a sight unseen deal.
On the other hand I can ship the car knowing eBay has your money and you wont disappear with my car. We are both covered.
Sorry for the long emails I have tried to touch all bases.
So please let me know if you are interested.

Thank You,

John***

Seems fairly legit, but still seems WAY TOO good to be true.:shrug:

Its a scam Ebay does not middle man in a transaction. I spoke with a kid who lost 12K in the same type of scam. The "Ebay representative" that you send the money to is the scamer. Call Ebay and see if they ever middle man a purchase. [They don't.]

burnout42

Banned
This is a text book scam. The "escrot" company that the seller describes has nothing to do at all with Ebay. These scams are found on craigslist ALL THE TIME. do not send them any money!!!!!!

primetime

Established Member
Scam.... There is a lot of that going on Autotrader.... seen a mint RS4 with low miles in the 30's..... emailed the dude and told him I would bring a cashiers check as he was less than 100 miles away..... he said NO, he would only sell over EBAY...... then about a week later had the same scenario on a 09 M3...... If I can't go there, see it, touch it, drive it..... I say forget it! later Ron

Mikesan

First Mustang
Established Member
Scam for sure. But feel free to waste the guys time with a bunch of questions. Ask him to fax you the title and registration. Bet he doesn't. Does the car have a license plate? Bet it doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread