2005 Ford GT / Mustang GT | Retro Review

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
If i had the loot i would have a 17 GT with the 05-06 Drivetrain and just do full bolt on. I love the brute sound of the 05/6 cars... cant do the auto turbo thing

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
The new GT isn't a hypercar, though. Ford aimed "low" toward just being a supercar. It has the bones to be a hypercar, though. Just not the power. And the jury is still in deliberation as far as its actual performance is concerned. They "only" benchmarked cars like the Ferrari 458, so don't expect to be wowed too much compared to up-to-the-minute standards; 488, 675LT, etc.

For what it's worth, C&D now has the GT as the fastest car they've ever tested at VIR. Substantially faster than a Ferrari 488. Faster than C&D got out of a 918 Spyder.

Beyond that, I know what the car has driven there by an actual pro. Not insubstantially faster than the Viper ACR production car "lap record" there. This isn't to say the GT will be ultra fast everywhere. The car is designed for a specific type of track and it doesn't have a metric ton of horsepower, so I'm sure it will do better or worse at any given track. But it is very fast, period. I would be reasonably confident it would be at least as fast or faster than a LaFerrari at VIR.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
For what it's worth, C&D now has the GT as the fastest car they've ever tested at VIR. Substantially faster than a Ferrari 488. Faster than C&D got out of a 918 Spyder.

Beyond that, I know what the car has driven there by an actual pro. Not insubstantially faster than the Viper ACR production car "lap record" there. This isn't to say the GT will be ultra fast everywhere. The car is designed for a specific type of track and it doesn't have a metric ton of horsepower, so I'm sure it will do better or worse at any given track. But it is very fast, period. I would be reasonably confident it would be at least as fast or faster than a LaFerrari at VIR.

Faster than the 918?? Color me super impressed! Now I can't wait to see the numbers. With video!

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
It was barely faster than the 918, but usually they get 3 days with each car. They set their own record with GT after a few hours on the only day they had it and claim that they think they can potentially drop "seconds" if given more time with it.

Video and article were both up a minute ago but for some reason they pulled them.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Hmm, interesting:
Capture3333.png

Found that on reddit, someone posted a video of the lap and it was taken down, but screen shots were taken, this was one of them.

DBK, I will probably never own this car, but you got me excited. So many people hating on this car because its a v6. The car looks and performs great. I wish I was one of the fortunate ones to get one. To lap faster than a 918 with limited time doing so says it all!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
It was barely faster than the 918, but usually they get 3 days with each car. They set their own record with GT after a few hours on the only day they had it and claim that they think they can potentially drop "seconds" if given more time with it.

Video and article were both up a minute ago but for some reason they pulled them.

I know Motor Trend did instrumented testing some months ago, but they said they weren't allowed to release anything yet. I guess Ford still has a media embargo going. Wonder if they're waiting for all (or a certain number) of customer cars to be delivered before they allow performance stats to be posted.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Wow that's insane. I knew it was fast but I never would have expected it to top the list.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
This was removed too, I guess Ford wants more time and a pro to give it a shot (per DBK's comment).

None of the mag tests are really a good apples to apples comparison, but it would be unfair to compare a pro's time to what C&D gets. Their best guys are still several seconds off a pro. I would say anywhere from 3-5 seconds per lap at VIR is a reasonable expectation.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
None of the mag tests are really a good apples to apples comparison, but it would be unfair to compare a pro's time to what C&D gets. Their best guys are still several seconds off a pro. I would say anywhere from 3-5 seconds per lap at VIR is a reasonable expectation.
I remember GM had their engineer doing the lap times for a previous Lightning Lap on the C7Z, the guy is a pro.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I remember GM had their engineer doing the lap times for a previous Lightning Lap on the C7Z, the guy is a pro.

They did in the very beginning, but don't anymore (that I'm aware). The very first LL Gene Martindale, who was a driving dynamics engineer at the time, drove for Ford. Ford had a pro there on the same day this time and he is crushingly faster.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I just read the whole article.

It's weird that we are so jaded by performance numbers and this car isn't that fast in instrumented tests but I guess as an entire package it moves the hell out.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I just read the whole article.

It's weird that we are so jaded by performance numbers and this car isn't that fast in instrumented tests but I guess as an entire package it moves the hell out.

I don't know if there is a technical racing term to define it, but watching videos of the car on track it just seems like it carries momentum like no other. Guessing a combination of the transmission and powerband to where it never really has to pick up from RPM drop off: it transitions seamlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread