2003 VS 2004 MUSTANG COBRA - HEAD ISSUE

BB2004

Hi All,

I am a newbie to this site and had a 2001 Cobra. It was great but had some challenges. When I bought it brand new I had heard at the time Ford was contemplating putting a SC on the engine but most had dismissed it as purely rumor and felt the bean counters were going to win that battle any day. So, I went ahead and bought the 01.

Now, today I am seriously thinking of buying an 03 or 04 Terminator Cobra but have seen threads and videos that sometimes contradict each other – Appears there was some issueS with the driver’s side head and some suggest it was resolved in the 04 model year but others say the issue still existed for 04 and that it was not fully resolved until early 05 when Ford came out with replacements heads (after the 04 Model Year had ended) and that it would set you back about $2K for the driver’s side head or about $3K for the pair. Is this really the case? Or, should I only concentrate on the 04 to avoid the issue? Or, buy either 03 or 04 Cobra but make sure the heads had already been replaced?

Thanks, in advance, for your guidance J

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The "tick" issue that you are referring to affected a minimal number of 2003-2004 Cobras. I wouldn't worry about it other than making sure that the Cobra you are looking at doesn't exhibit the ticking. You probably already read about the tick issue in my Terminator FAQs. If not, here'a a LINK to that tick issue info. There are remedies to help prevent it. Lethal Performance sells a kit. Or you can upgrade to the revised heads. But odds are with you that if you buy a Cobra that doesn't have the tick issue it likely won't occur later. Not guaranteed, but also not likely.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
at this point in time, the cars that would have developed that issue more than likely did already

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are so many other things to focus on when you’re checking out used Terminators. I wouldn’t even think about buying replacement heads unless you really want them. Trust me, if the ‘03-‘04 Cobra you look doesn’t have a noisy valve train, you should be fine. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

hotcobra03

Established Member
I had a 4 thread and 9 both have this issue.

Both the issue happens instantly at any given time.

For me 60k was a close average as in mileage but I drove it a lot so that 60 was under 2 yrs

I have over 200k on the 3rd design

Passenger head on s still original 4 thread with 420k

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a 4 thread and 9 both have this issue.

Both the issue happens instantly at any given time.

For me 60k was a close average as in mileage but I drove it a lot so that 60 was under 2 yrs

I have over 200k on the 3rd design

Passenger head on s still original 4 thread with 420k

am I reading this correct, you have 420k on your car?

BB2004

Thanks All :) I really appreciate it. I did read about the 4 thread versus 2004 having the 9 thread sparkplugs. Is that really an issue as some suggest in blogs and videos?

Impressed with 420K on the odometers. You love your Terminator :)

cj428mach

Established Member
If your color was available in 03 and 04 I'd go with an 04. They have 9 thread heads, and often have the dark seat inserts. Either car is fine and either can develop ticking, but 03's are more likely.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Back in 2006, here on the site, I thought the consensus was the jan. 05 heads were the only that corrected the problems. And ALL 2003-2004 Cobras had the 4 thread heads. But I guess at this point we have more info?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@Fastback, there is often confusion on the MYs, heads wise, because the 4 threads vs. 9 threads heads discussion can be confused with the revised coolant passages (tick issue) heads. Here is the latest info that agrees with what JRGoffin has. The short answer is that most or nearly all 2004s came with 9-thread heads. History Of '03-'04 Heads

plumbcrazy

Established Member
Hi All,

I am a newbie to this site and had a 2001 Cobra. It was great but had some challenges. When I bought it brand new I had heard at the time Ford was contemplating putting a SC on the engine but most had dismissed it as purely rumor and felt the bean counters were going to win that battle any day. So, I went ahead and bought the 01.

Now, today I am seriously thinking of buying an 03 or 04 Terminator Cobra but have seen threads and videos that sometimes contradict each other – Appears there was some issueS with the driver’s side head and some suggest it was resolved in the 04 model year but others say the issue still existed for 04 and that it was not fully resolved until early 05 when Ford came out with replacements heads (after the 04 Model Year had ended) and that it would set you back about $2K for the driver’s side head or about $3K for the pair. Is this really the case? Or, should I only concentrate on the 04 to avoid the issue? Or, buy either 03 or 04 Cobra but make sure the heads had already been replaced?

Thanks, in advance, for your guidance J
FWIW, I bought my first Terminator 4 months ago after looking for a year.
I posed the same question ( like so many others) too and in the end I got a SB vert with almost 90k on it and the engine is quieter than my ‘16 Expedition ( damn noisy injectors).
I say buy the car you like.
I knew I wasn’t prepared to deal with a car with a noisy engine so I didn’t.
Simple as that.
Cobra Bob is right, there’s so many other things to be concerned about.
I need to address the “ IRS clunk” and a handful of other things but I paid the right price for a well kept car so I don’t mind.
Good Luck!!

BB2004

Appreciate the feedback. I was leaning towards the 2004. What I've seen thus far it seems that is the right direction to go. I have kind of budgeted in time that it may take several months or even a year to find the one I want, but will to wait to get the right 2004 Cobra. Looking forward to it :) Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread