2003 VS 2004 MUSTANG COBRA - HEAD ISSUE

GodStang

Established Member
@Fastback, there is often confusion on the MYs, heads wise, because the 4 threads vs. 9 threads heads discussion can be confused with the revised coolant passages (tick issue) heads. Here is the latest info that agrees with what JRGoffin has. The short answer is that most or nearly all 2004s came with 9-thread heads. History Of '03-'04 Heads

There were also multiple revisions to the oil passages done through the years of the 02-05 heads, but as many said it has been going on 18 years for some of these cars. If they have not ticked now I really don't think they well.

Beetle6986

Established Member
The "tick" issue that you are referring to affected a minimal number of 2003-2004 Cobras. I wouldn't worry about it other than making sure that the Cobra you are looking at doesn't exhibit the ticking. You probably already read about the tick issue in my Terminator FAQs. If not, here'a a LINK to that tick issue info. There are remedies to help prevent it. Lethal Performance sells a kit. Or you can upgrade to the revised heads. But odds are with you that if you buy a Cobra that doesn't have the tick issue it likely won't occur later. Not guaranteed, but also not likely.

Bob,
I want to thank you for your time and investment with the 03/04 Cobras. I have used your website often over the years since buying mine in 04.

My car did get the most recent revised heads due to the tick. I had them done under warranty back in 05 as my car had a horrible tick. The new heads completely resolved the tick issue and it has sounded perfect since then (38k miles on it now). I'm thinking of getting the supercharger ported for a little more power and was thinking about doing the head cooling mod. Is this mod not needed if you have the revised heads with better cooling passages?

I have over 200k on the 3rd design

Passenger head on s still original 4 thread with 420k
Wow! 420k is impressive!!!

Users who are viewing this thread