2003 F250 6.0 Diesel

WydOpen

Established Member
I love my 6.0L, but as previously stated it is pretty much stock aside from a mild IDP tune. It is reliable and gets great gas mileage. When I decide to up the power I'll be swapping in beefier head studs (aka ARP) and delete the EGR cooler.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The early 6.0s, 03-04, had quite a few problems. Most of those were addressed by 05. By 07 the 6.0 was a really good engine. There are 3 basic rules with the 6.0:

1. Delete the EGR
2. Install head studs, especially if you crank up the power
3. Change the oil often (the 6.0 shears oil very badly and bad oil will destroy injectors)

I would rather have an 05-07, especially an 07 with the upgraded turbo, 6.0 than a 7.3 truck. The tranny behind the 6.0 is far superior to the 4R100 found behind the 7.3 and the new front suspension on the 05 and up is a lot easier to live with the leaf springs on the earlier trucks.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've loved my 04 6.0 so far. But it has definitely had its repairs. Basically once you repair or upgrade a few things they are very solid, sound amazing, and make nice HP. The 5r trans behind them is one of the best diesel transmissions out there, *with the right tuning*.

Dont even consider getting a off-the shelf tuner for it. Get a custom tuned SCT and you'll be golden, as well as changing the oil with quality brand.

Check out powerstroke.org and powerstrokenation.com Alot of good info on them.

03shadowgreygt

Established Member
I own a 6.0 and would never own a 7.3. I can deal with engine stuff all day long but the trans in a 7.3 is junk. If the maintenance has been done on a 6.0 they will still have problems but nowhere near as bad as the ones everyone complains of. I have seen alot of hp oil pumps going out on 03 and 04 6.0's lately. The last one I did only had 60k miles on it. I don't know what kind of maintenance was done on that truck though. Listen to the engine, if it sounds like the ps pump is very noisy but dosen't change with the brakes or turning the steering wheel, plan on replacing the pump soon.

WydOpen

Established Member
I own a 6.0 and would never own a 7.3. I can deal with engine stuff all day long but the trans in a 7.3 is junk. If the maintenance has been done on a 6.0 they will still have problems but nowhere near as bad as the ones everyone complains of. I have seen alot of hp oil pumps going out on 03 and 04 6.0's lately. The last one I did only had 60k miles on it. I don't know what kind of maintenance was done on that truck though. Listen to the engine, if it sounds like the ps pump is very noisy but dosen't change with the brakes or turning the steering wheel, plan on replacing the pump soon.

Yeah, I had my PS pump replaced at about 65,000 miles. Started making a lot of noise and then started puking ps fluid everywhere. Dealer replaced it for free even though I was out of warranty.

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
I have owned the 7.3 which was reliable but ran like a dog with a missing leg. The 2004 6.0 I currently own hauls and sounds like a mad freight train. Its been kept stock (no issues) and have had it for ~3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread