2003 F250 6.0 Diesel

unforgiven

Humble
Established Member
So, I am getting the itch for a new used Truck. Currently I have a 1997 Dodge Ram with 33's and a 3 inch lift. The Dodge is not powerful or flashy but it serves a purpose. I haul stuff from time to time and plan to tow a 20' boat.

I am gaining interest in a 2003 F250 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel. The 03 is in my price range and am wondering the pros and cons of a Diesel engine (never had one).

Any input would be helpful.

Blown38

Established Member
Get an oasis on that 6.0. I have a 05 6.0 and the only problem I had was the head gaskets just before 100k miles. Have 110k on the truck now and had them put ARP studs in when they did the gaskets.

I love my 6.0 get 20mpg if I keep it under 70.

Change 15 quarts of oil every 5k. Tow haul mode is great on the torque shift 5 speed auto.

Last edited:

Discerning

Fun on a bun
Established Member
I know this is a Ford website and everything, but I've never really liked the powerstrokes and I wouldn't get one most likely.

The 6.0 powerstroke is a nice motor, but I've heard that it isn't very reliable. Especially compared to a Cummins and Duramax.

The duramax and Cummins just make more torque and the powerstroke's past would make me hisitate. Plus, the duramax trucks are equiped with the beastly allison 6 speed auto. The only downside to the Cummins is the POS 68RFE tranny.

Also, Common, the 7.3 was discontinued in 2003 when it was replaced by the 6.0.
The 7.3 is also weaker than the 6.0 off the showroom floor.

Last edited:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I know this is a Ford website and everything, but I've never really liked the powerstrokes and I wouldn't get one most likely.

The 6.0 powerstroke is a nice motor, but I've heard that it isn't very reliable. Especially compared to a Cummins and Duramax.

The duramax and Cummins just make more torque and the powerstroke's past would make me hisitate. Plus, the duramax trucks are equiped with the beastly allison 6 speed auto. The only downside to the Cummins is the POS 68RFE tranny.

But the GM has an independent front suspension. Something I would never want on a 3/4 ton truck.

JMD0346

Established Member
Ive had a
97 F350 7.3

03 F350 6.0

05 F350 6.0

I had great luck with all of them. The 7.3 is the only one I had trouble with. It was fixed under the warranty. Lifter broke.

I own a steel fab business and used to haul all my steel myself. I quit because its cheaper to pay someone per load.

I hauled up to 7+ tons with all of mine. 80mph+ on the highway with them. Very strong trucks/engines. They dont know when to quit.

Discerning

Fun on a bun
Established Member
But the GM has an independent front suspension. Something I would never want on a 3/4 ton truck.

Very true.
I'll never understand why they went with an IFS on their 4WD models.

All three options have their major trade-offs.

Last edited:

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member

that allison trannie is weak when you add the basic three power upgrades. my friend has on and with the basic three the trannie slips with anything more than a 75hp tune. that ford SD trannie is good to about 500hp, you need to do the tq converter before anything. all around the ford sd is just a better buy. the chevy/gmc is a more luxury sd truck. and the dodge is just a hard worker with a crappy body/interior and drive train. the motor is the only great thing about them.

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
id stay away from the 6.0's. i used to work at a ford dealer and they would have on average 12-14 in a week and totally removing and re-building 3 or 4 a week. id go with a 7.3

NJ 03 GT

Established Member
i have an 03 1/2 aka 6.0 2003. I would really advise NOT to get one. makes SICK power and breaks everything. really have neve had my truck running 100%. Big things like trans and injetors. and like bs things. but no matter how small... it wont be cheap

good luck

Sean

ModularFan

Established Member

Do you have any clue what your talking about? Saying Powerstrokes are a unreliable engine as a generalized statement is pretty dumbfounded.

7.3L have there issues as well, mainly Harness and turbo issues here and there. If you keep the 6.0's stock and up to maintance etc you won't have issues.

The main reason why the 6.0's have so many problems is because they have less head bolts then the 7.3L. The 7.3L have 12 Head Bolts as opposed to 10 on the 6.0, also the 6.0 Use's the VGT Turbo they had issues with the veins sticking, that was corrected by replacing it with a 07 Turbo, also they have been known to have STC Fitting issues in the late 05-07 Models. also the HPOP would leak as well.

As long as you put Studs EGR Delete and weld the Coolers shut and a tune you now have a reliable motor as much as the 7.3L also the later 6.0's were commonized which means they used 6.4L heads.

NXSVTCOBRA

I hate these kind of threads and at times laugh at them. 6.0L's are not bad motors, they will outrun a 7.3 anyday and last just as long. They are reliable however there are some Preventative Maintenance that needs to be done to them AS WITH THE 7.3L's also.

OP do yourself a favor lurk on the various diesel forums and search for your answers, all you'll get hear is what "my buddy ran" and notions on how much the 6.0L's suck.

I'd personally prefer a 6.0L over a 7.3L motor ANYDAY.

Users who are viewing this thread