2003 cobra vs 400 awhp sti

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Did you actually hear that from someone or did you just make it up? If you can provide some factual information to go with that I'm interested in seeing it.

The STi transmission and axles are beefy as hell and will absolutely take that abuse. I don't know if they will take crazy crazy high HP, but it will most certainly take 400whp abuse like a champ. I've personally seen several 400whp STi's make tons of track passes spinning all 4 wheels each launch and never had a problem.

400whp seems a bit low for a water/meth 35R setup. Good kill although his shifting has been well documented throughout this thread.

I wasn't as woried about the horse power level as much as dumping at 5K

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
If the sti added a couple more boost gauges he would have kept up...

...jk

good kill

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
Did you actually hear that from someone or did you just make it up? If you can provide some factual information to go with that I'm interested in seeing it.

400whp seems a bit low for a water/meth 35R setup. Good kill although his shifting has been well documented throughout this thread.

Yeah, I just make things up for fun
[ame=http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628823]2008 WRX STI Long-Term Road Test Update: Transmission Problems - NASIOC[/ame]
Problem with my 2008 wrx sti transmission... - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

Time in the Shop? Say It Ain’t So!
Our Subaru was living a trouble-free life until nearly everyone who drove the car began to report the transmission popping out of second gear. (A quick Google search shows that we aren’t the only ones to experience this problem.) In the STI went to the local dealership, where—of course—the car refused to repeat its misbehavior. After a couple of weeks, we self-diagnosed the problem as occurring during light acceleration while traveling between 10–20 mph and took the car back in to the dealer, who now recognized our issue. The service rep decided to install a new transmission—at just 16,745 miles!—as well as a new clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing, a $7000 job thankfully covered under warranty. Afterward, the dealer said that another option was to simply crack the gearbox open and repair it at a cost of $1000; why they didn’t do this isn’t totally clear. In any event, we’re happy to report there have been no further issues with the gearbox, but nor should there be.

The article by C&D claims they had issues and many others were reported.. who knows to what extent that is true, but that's why I mentioned it.
I've also seen it around on some sites here and there. At least he doesn't have the WRX 5 speed transmission with his HP numbers.

Last edited:

BlueByYou2004

Established Member
Yeah, I just make things up for fun
2008 WRX STI Long-Term Road Test Update: Transmission Problems - NASIOC
Problem with my 2008 wrx sti transmission... - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

Time in the Shop? Say It Ain’t So!
Our Subaru was living a trouble-free life until nearly everyone who drove the car began to report the transmission popping out of second gear. (A quick Google search shows that we aren’t the only ones to experience this problem.) In the STI went to the local dealership, where—of course—the car refused to repeat its misbehavior. After a couple of weeks, we self-diagnosed the problem as occurring during light acceleration while traveling between 10–20 mph and took the car back in to the dealer, who now recognized our issue. The service rep decided to install a new transmission—at just 16,745 miles!—as well as a new clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing, a $7000 job thankfully covered under warranty. Afterward, the dealer said that another option was to simply crack the gearbox open and repair it at a cost of $1000; why they didn’t do this isn’t totally clear. In any event, we’re happy to report there have been no further issues with the gearbox, but nor should there be.

The article by C&D claims they had issues and many others were reported.. who knows to what extent that is true, but that's why I mentioned it.
I've also seen it around on some sites here and there. At least he doesn't have the WRX 5 speed transmission with his HP numbers.

Well, then I half retract my statement. Maybe the newer 6-speed sucks, but I still stand by the STi 6spd from 04-07. I'm going to do some more research on the matter as I can't think of one Subaru owner I know of off the top of my head that has had transmission problems and I know a lot of Subaru guys. That's the of course guys with the 6 speed as the 5 speed isn't worth talking about.

Subarus will most certainly have engine problems. My buddy and I swapped an entire built motor in an 05 STi last summer because it decided to let go making less than 400whp cruising at 70mph. Snapped a rod and shredded the inside of the block. We are swapping an entire V7 JDM STi drivetrain (along with the interior from an o2 WRX) into his 95 GC8 chassis as we speak. Turns out the rear axles won't work so we have had to purchase a set of Legacy Spec-B axles and swap out the outers for the JDM STi stuff. I will say when you put the 6spd and 5spd side-by-side, you can see how much beefier the 6spd is. It's not a weak unit at all in my experience.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
just because it looks beefy doesnt mean it is. i live near a big subaru tuner and if you pass by the shop they have quite a few old broken 6 spds outside. i think its more luck of the draw then the actual design. kind of like the new 5.0's trans being a hit or miss case.

OP nice kill but i think you are going to need some more if the STI driver actually learns how to drive.

BlueByYou2004

Established Member
I agree, just because it looks beefy, doesn't mean it necessarily is. Also, I've been to a few shops that had busted T-56's lying around, does that mean that the T-56 in a Cobra sucks and is prone to break? If you get enough people beating on their cars, a few of them are bound to break something regardless of how strong whatever part that might be is. It's far from indestructible, the STi transmission, but I've never heard it noted as a weak link is all I'm saying.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
just because it looks beefy doesnt mean it is. i live near a big subaru tuner and if you pass by the shop they have quite a few old broken 6 spds outside. i think its more luck of the draw then the actual design. kind of like the new 5.0's trans being a hit or miss case.

OP nice kill but i think you are going to need some more if the STI driver actually learns how to drive.

That seems to be what a lot of people think. I don't know if he would actually beat me, but it would defiantly be a lot closer with a better driver. I'm sure we'll do it again.

SeikenFreak

2 Scoops
Established Member
As far as I am aware the 6 spds are pretty damn good. The 5 spds are the crappy ones in the WRXs.. so its kinda like the 3650 and T56 :p

And when your doing dumps like that I believe the axles are the weakest link. But thats with a good amount of power and building boost on launch. And I'm sure a crappy/stupid driver can still wreck a 6spd.

Haven't had a single hiccup from mine in the couple years I've had it.

Also yes 35R with water/meth at 400 seems pretty low. I'm sure theres some element thats holding him back on his build. I'm at 520 with 35R w/o the water/meth spray and 1000cc injectors.

Last edited:

DSS

Established Member
good kill op, nice kill and keep it up man

Don't forget the missed shift as well....5k dump on the STI...

.wonder how many of those the Trans and axles will take before they break?

the weakest link on the USDM STi drivetrain are the axles, even then its beefier than most,

the STi 6speed is very strong, i believe the current record right now for the STi 6 speed is 9.2 on the 1/4mile and thats launching on second gear (stock rear end also)

and yes he shifted to over drive gear, 6th gear to finish the 1/4mile pass :beer:

i cant comment about the newer STi 6speed from the new chassis(08 and up) but i dont see a reason why it would be any weaker than 04-07s trans, based on the spec sheet

Mods for the STI are: GT35R turbo setup, full exhaust, 850 cc injectors, and when tuned on 18 lbs and no water/meth made 370whp.

peak dyno number means nothing, that piece of shit STi prolly has the worse powerband pushing that turbo at that level, he wasted his money and just hurting the car more

I heard a lot of those STIs had transmission issues straight from the factory- yeah, he's screwed! :burn:

you heard wrong my friend, these link you sent are among the very few, its def out of the ordinary

these STi transmission are very strong, of course your gonna find very few bad apples, and will stand out on these forums, but its proven fact that STi drivetrain are very good (axles is the weakest), its rare find STi that runs 11s,10s, or even 9s, with needing a built transmission, and if you do find a fast STi running fast times with a built transmission is due to, gearing issues, the STi 6 speed gear ratios are is not intended for drag racing

heres an example how bad the gear ratio is
top speed of every gear at 7200rpm
1st-27mph
2nd-50mph
3rd-72mph
4th-97mph
5th-140mph
6th-gasmileage gear lol

400whp on a stock sti engine can go kaboom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

they can even blow up bone stock, most of the time is neglect or factory defect, like any other car on the road cheap to expensive

main reason why these stock STi engine go "kaboom" its due to the cast piston on a turbo car, and the fuel rail design (debated), which tends to lean out the cylinder #4, a blown ringland is usually the main cause of "kaboom" stock engine STi, the next thing to go at nearly high 4xx whp on a mustang dyno (low to mid 500whp on average dynojet) are the stock rods, which have the same strength as any aftermarket brand of " H-beam " rods, the stock sleeves tends to boom at the high 5xx whp range, not bad for an aluminum 4 cylinder block, shitty piston tho lol

Well, then I half retract my statement. Maybe the newer 6-speed sucks, but I still stand by the STi 6spd from 04-07. I'm going to do some more research on the matter as I can't think of one Subaru owner I know of off the top of my head that has had transmission problems and I know a lot of Subaru guys. That's the of course guys with the 6 speed as the 5 speed isn't worth talking about.

Subarus will most certainly have engine problems. My buddy and I swapped an entire built motor in an 05 STi last summer because it decided to let go making less than 400whp cruising at 70mph. Snapped a rod and shredded the inside of the block. .

your right the 04-07 STi 6speed are proven fact to be very strong, like i said above i dont see a reason why the 08 and up 6speed are any weaker

wrx 5speed are piece of shit, lol they are made out of glass, they break at any power level

and that sucks for your friend, thats rare to break rods at that power level, specially if has stock piston, that would be the first to go, i can almost garuntee that it was bad tune, detonation ****ed that motor up

tuning a complicated ecu and playing around with boost aint exactly easy, there 100s of different subaru tuners, and i can only say 10 of them knows what they are doing,

maybe on some other cars its the luck of the draw, but STi 6speed are proven to be very strong, and can take countless abuse, of course theres always gonna be few bad apples and neglect that will break them which prolly less than 5%

if you dont mind but which shop is this?

Last edited:

Riptide

Established Member
they can even blow up bone stock, most of the time is neglect or factory defect, like any other car on the road cheap to expensive

main reason why these stock STi engine go "kaboom" its due to the cast piston on a turbo car
Yeah I know of a guy with one that tried running close to 450awhp with the stock engine. Didn't make it very long before it grenaded. Pistons the weakest link.

SeikenFreak

2 Scoops
Established Member
Yea basically all of that stuff up there.

I blew my stock motor putting down 400whp on a 30R. Detonation in cold temperatures. Ring lands were raped.

I saved the pistons as souvenirs and keep them on my shelf. Next to a cooked CR125 2-stroke piston, some spun Ford 4.6 bearings, and an old turbo of some form from my Starion.

BlueByYou2004

Established Member
your right the 04-07 STi 6speed are proven fact to be very strong, like i said above i dont see a reason why the 08 and up 6speed are any weaker

wrx 5speed are piece of shit, lol they are made out of glass, they break at any power level

and that sucks for your friend, thats rare to break rods at that power level, specially if has stock piston, that would be the first to go, i can almost garuntee that it was bad tune, detonation ****ed that motor up

tuning a complicated ecu and playing around with boost aint exactly easy, there 100s of different subaru tuners, and i can only say 10 of them knows what they are doing,

I'm actually decently versed in Subaru knowledge, but I didn't feel like getting into too much specifics in this thread because ultimately it wouldn't matter that much.

Our first guess was the tune. Not because of the power level on a built block necessarily, but the fact that it let go at a cruising rpm. So something finally let go from the detonation, or there was something else that failed suddenly. It did have a Walbro pump in it, so the chance of a sudden failure taking the engine out with it is entirely possible, although not probable considering the load the engine was under and many other factors. We could honestly only speculate what could have happened, but saying it was the tune and calling it a day got the job done faster.

We ended up getting it retuned at Epic in Fayetteville. It's the same place where I've taken my Evos, but not the same tuner. My die hard Subaru buddy is definitely an educated Subaru guy and therefor is more or less crazy picky and anal about where his car goes. It's sad the Subaru world isn't like the Evo world were there are many qualified, trustworthy tuning options out there.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
This guys comment lol:

@offof2 thats because when your being pulled back into your seat by 400+ real horsepower and without a fully built race tranny its REALLY hard to get the proper shifts.
and to add to the mods, short version for the STI is a GT35R turbo setup, full exhaust, 850cc injectors and tuned without water meth at 18lbs of boost made 370hp at the wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread