2003 cobra vs 400 awhp sti

Spicy_Mchaggiz

Sir. Badass
Established Member
Nice kill!

Like DSS said, the STI transmissions are extremely strong. Launching at extremely high rpm's in any AWD car will cause crap to break. And as far as I know, the transmission has been the same for all STI's stateside. I will say there are very few reports on the Subaru forums about STI transmission failures. (I will say this, if you put "08 STI transmission fail" you will obviously get those threads. All in how you read it.) And aside from 02 and early 03 WRX transmissions, they aren't the glass trannies like everyone makes them out to be. They actually rectified the problem. Though that's not to say you won't break them from abuse. Also a WRX transmission can hold between 300 and 350 at the wheels before it gets a little hairy.

As for the motors, the 2.5L in the STI/06+ WRX are built a bit better then the early 2.0's. But there are limitations obviously. And as already mentioned, the pistons are the single biggest issue for these cars. And if it's not a piston it's bad oil pickup from a cracked tube or bad lubing because of the engine layout. But that's not to say you can't get a lot of good power from them.

The STI on here should be doing a lot better with more driver skill. And with that size turbo it's somewhat surprising at the power levels. Maybe a good track day will teach him a bit better driving techniques.

And don't mind me, friendly WRX "troll" that likes features of the site. You won't see me argue or complain when a car is faster. Plus the kill stories are pretty good!

Edit: Awesome for my first post.

Users who are viewing this thread