2003 Cobra Sprayed Coolant Through Hood Vent

Gambler213

Established Member
My Cobra has randomly sprayed coolant through the hood vents twice under WOT pulls. First time was back in the spring. I took the car to a performance shop and they found the O rings were bad so they replaced them as well as the other gaskets. The told me the brick was not cracked and I witnessed them test for one, everything was fine. Yesterday I had been driving my car around town and did a pull and once again coolant sprayed from the top of the reservoir tank and out through the hood vent and on the windshield. I have heard this can be caused by a bad brick, O rings, a cap, or the reservoir tank itself. I find it hard to believe the brick is bad or the O rings since they were just replaced and I don't drive the car that much. If anyone has had this problem before please let me know I need help!!!!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
What o-rings are you referring to?

The shop replaced them "as well as other gaskets"?

Zemedici

Established Member
There are O rings that go inside the supercharger and the gasket they replaced was the supercharger to intake plenum gasket

are you referring to the o rings on the tubes in front of the interocooler?

And have you tracked down to where the coolant is spraying from? No nicked lines / hoses, etc?

Gambler213

Established Member
are you referring to the o rings on the tubes in front of the interocooler?

And have you tracked down to where the coolant is spraying from? No nicked lines / hoses, etc?

Yeah it was those O rings because there is an intercooler underneath the supercharger. I haven't tracked down any cracked hoses or loose clamps. I am thinking I might have a crack in the reservoir but haven't had a chance to check. Or maybe the IC pump is working intermittently and causing a lot of heat to build up. The coolant seems to spray from the top of the reservoir around the cap or right below it

Zemedici

Established Member
Yeah it was those O rings because there is an intercooler underneath the supercharger. I haven't tracked down any cracked hoses or loose clamps. I am thinking I might have a crack in the reservoir but haven't had a chance to check. Or maybe the IC pump is working intermittently and causing a lot of heat to build up. The coolant seems to spray from the top of the reservoir around the cap or right below it

sure its not the cap releasing pressure? as its designed to do

I would definitely check your intercooler pump. They're known to be bad in these cars. It should be running all of the time, so pop open your reservoir and see if the fluid is circulating. If not, replace with a M-8501-MSVT pump.

Gambler213

Established Member
sure its not the cap releasing pressure? as its designed to do

I would definitely check your intercooler pump. They're known to be bad in these cars. It should be running all of the time, so pop open your reservoir and see if the fluid is circulating. If not, replace with a M-8501-MSVT pump.

If the cap is releasing pressure coolant should not be spraying out like that should it?
I have not checked the pump lately, when the car was in shop they checked it and was working at that time but I have heard they go bad quite often and might be working part of the time

speedoflife

Established Member
Another thing to keep in mind are those heater hoses behind the passenger head. There is a bolt coming out of the firewall that's almost guaranteed to impale one of those hoses over time.

big dad

Established Member
Pressure check the intercooler reservoir and the cap to start with. Some sound advise from other guys about the pump.

The reservoir caps both for the radiator and the intercooler have been updated with a bigger relief spring so they don't weaken and lose their pressure rating after so many heat cycles, this was a problem in the past. I replaced both my caps as a precaution for this very reason. Incidentally, the 16lb. rating for the radiator cap is the same cap for the intercooler which was originally rated at 10lbs.

bigmoose

Established Member
I had the exact same thing happen on my last cobra and it was a bad intercooler pump. 95% sure this is your problem.

Dave.O

Established Member
This has happened to me twice on track while driving the car very hard.
Once was bad intercooler causing leakage at intercooler cap due to over heating of coolant.
second was bad alternator cutting out when hot causing intercooler to cut out, this one took a while to figure out root cause. basically intermittent alternator cut out became frequent enough to identify
these two reasons are why I will probably never run an electric water pump for engine coolant

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I had the exact same thing happen on my last cobra and it was a bad intercooler pump. 95% sure this is your problem.

+1

since it is coming from the supercharger intercooler cap the first thing i would check would be the ic pump.

but if it were spraying out of the engine cooling system reservoir cap under boost, the first thing i would do would be to check for exhaust gases in the coolant, because that's unfortunately a symptom of a damaged head gasket.

Gambler213

Established Member
The coolant is coming from the supercharger reservoir only. Seems to be spraying right out the top where the cap is. It's just weird that it has only happened twice. Other than that the car is great. No smoke coming from the exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread