2003 cobra front brakes sticking help

blwnblkgt

Established Member
So what’s going on I did a brake job on the front so I first started on driver side put new rotors and pads slapped it on together and noticed it wasent spinning freely at all. So I took all apart again re did it and still the same . So then I removed all the new parts I just had put on and installed again the original old stuff and still it’s dragging. So I thought okay the caliper is dragging so I rebuilt the caliper with new seals and still dragging , so then I checked the other side because I haven’t pulled it apart and that side was hard to spin too. So now I’m asking for help what you guys think is the problem because I have no clue now

01yellercobra

Established Member
What do you consider hard to spin? There will be a little drag with everything bolted up. There won't be a gap between the rotor and pad.

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
take the rotors off and check your wheel bearings if it free spins easily you may need new calipers. i have this problem with my mach and had to replace the calipers completely. also you did press in the caliper pistons when you installed the brakes? i assume you did but got to ask.

blwnblkgt

Established Member
Checked wheel bearing there good , rebuilt the caliper with new seals and pistons it was still hard to turn ,bought two different rotors also still the same hard to turn. Un did the bleed screw see if that would take pressure off from the caliper and it didn’t which would show if I’m correct it’s the caliper not the master cylinder or metering valve.. I just don’t wanna spend a grand for new brakes because ford stop making these 10 anniversary calipers and auto parts store sell knock offs

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
when you rebuilt the caliper did you hone the piston bores the pistons should go in easily with a c-clamp or you may have a pinched the seals on the pistons or you may have dirt in them.

blwnblkgt

Established Member
They went in easily I pushed them in with my fingers , but I didn’t hone anything I just put the new seal piston and dust boot

blwnblkgt

Established Member
Yea I pressed the calipers in with a c clamp , I did it a few times even with the bleed screw to release the pressure so they would go in easily

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
only thing i can think of there may be air in the system still or the abs pump might somehow be putting alot of fluid to the calipers. have you tried turning on the car and pumping the brakes a few times...also check you caliper brackets if they are bent or not tightened properly they will cause this problem

blwnblkgt

Established Member
If abs was the problem the moment I relieve the pressure on the caliper bleed screw the the and hub and rotor should spin freely and it doesn’t when I the bleed screw is open... tell me about it ive been fighting this for about a month such a mystery. And the bracket is fine I don’t see abnormalities on it or bent

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I’d put it on the ground and back it out the driveway. As said already, they always drag a little. If it then still grabs, you’re back to square one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread