2001 Cobra vs 2004 Mach 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

robn30

Question, stock for stock which car is the better buy? I owned a 2004 Mach 1 and traded it on a family car back in 2014 and have missed it ever since. With K&N FIPK, Bassani catted X-Pipe, and MAC catback it ran a 13.16 @ 110 mph in primo weather. Never ran slower than a 13.40 even in poor weather. All those times were on stock rims and tires with 60' times of 2.00 or slightly worse. Not sure a 2001 Cobra can match that with the same mods but I have always loved Cobras.

I'm trying to decide on which direction to go as the price of low mile 2001 Cobras and 2004 Mach 1 are roughly the same.

PC03GT

Established Member
Question, stock for stock which car is the better buy? I owned a 2004 Mach 1 and traded it on a family car back in 2014 and have missed it ever since. With K&N FIPK, Bassani catted X-Pipe, and MAC catback it ran a 13.16 @ 110 mph in primo weather. Never ran slower than a 13.40 even in poor weather. All those times were on stock rims and tires with 60' times of 2.00 or slightly worse. Not sure a 2001 Cobra can match that with the same mods but I have always loved Cobras.

I'm trying to decide on which direction to go as the price of low mile 2001 Cobras and 2004 Mach 1 are roughly the same.
The Cobra has better tailights, other than that I'd say Mach1 all day

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I’d choose Mach 1.
26C744BB-1534-49FD-A1B2-93E74016A7AD.jpeg

Last edited:

robvas

Established Member
The one that already has had a T56 and gears and longtubes added!

Recon

Established Member
I’d pick a Mach over a cobra. Probably biased. Though I have a thing for an electric green 99 cobra. Those cars are good looking.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I owned a low mile, stock '01 Cobra vert for 10 years.
If it wasn't for the vert part, think I would have traded it for a Mach1 and been happier.

Ya, buy a Mach1.

01yellercobra

Established Member
When I bought my 01 there was a DSG Mach on the lot. I looked at it for half a second and still went home in the Cobra. I don't quarter mile much so it wasn't a concern to me. The IRS and tail lights were. And to be honest the 01 seats are still my favorite.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
IRS, ambers, svt, better seats with the cobra. Wish my 01 had the t56 though

Was the mach the iron block 32v dohc or was that aluminum like the 01 cobra was?

I was never a big fan of the mach interior

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Either one can be argued for. IMO choose the one you prefer visually. The Mach 1 has some distinctive features, like the seats, dash and shaker hood. The Mach 1 also has a solid rear, which some prefer over the Cobra's independent rear suspension. If it was me deciding, it would be the Mach 1. Visually on the street, the Mach 1 is very distinctive and noticeable, particularly from the shaker hood.

Ford-Mustang_SVT_Cobra-2001-1600-04-e1594237537703.jpg

2003_ford_mustang_coupe_mach-1-premuim_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
I will admit that was one thing that bugged about what Ford did with the Cobra stuff. The 99/01 hood eventually ended up on V6's and the polished 01 wheels eventually ended up as an option for other models. I heard that happened because they had extras since there was no 2000 model or a domestic 2002 model.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Either one can be argued for. IMO choose the one you prefer visually. The Mach 1 has some distinctive features, like the seats, dash and shaker hood. The Mach 1 also has a solid rear, which some prefer over the Cobra's independent rear suspension. If it was me deciding, it would be the Mach 1. Visually on the street, the Mach 1 is very distinctive and noticeable, particularly from the shaker hood.

Ford-Mustang_SVT_Cobra-2001-1600-04-e1594237537703.jpg

2003_ford_mustang_coupe_mach-1-premuim_fq_oem_1_500.jpg
Mach 1 all day. Cobra looks blan….like mentioned above, the “special” look of the 99/01 Cobra is the tailights.

I will say, my dad had a 1969 Mach 1 that he always talked about and it aids in me wanting a Mach 1 at some point.

Last edited:

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Mach 1 all day. Cobra looks blan….like mentioned above, the “special” look of the 99/01 Cobra is the twilights.

I will say, my dad had a 1969 Mach 1 that he always talked about and it aids in me wanting a Mach 1 at some point.
A good makes a big difference on these cars. Ignore the terminator bumper, this was the previous owners bad decision.

Last edited:

Saleen498

Established Member
I would vote mach 1. The 01 cobra will forever be overshadowed by the 03/04 cars. The cobra kinda just blends in with the GT st car shows but the Mach stands out. That being said, once the car is purchased and you inevitably decide to mod it, IRS and AFS mach reps right away.

robn30

Lots of good input here. If exterior was the only thing that mattered it would be the Mach 1 again for me all day. I have never owned an IRS Mustang and the interior of the Cobra is better IMO, as some have said here. It does seem most so far would go the Mach 1 path which I can't argue with. 1/4 mile times aren't everything but I do like the better engine performance of the Mach but I would imagine the Cobra handles better with the IRS.

Do the 2001's suffer wheel hop really bad like the 03/04 Cobra's. Heard a lot of folks had to modify the IRS on the 03/04's to get them to hook.

Saleen498

Established Member
Lots of good input here. If exterior was the only thing that mattered it would be the Mach 1 again for me all day. I have never owned an IRS Mustang and the interior of the Cobra is better IMO, as some have said here. It does seem most so far would go the Mach 1 path which I can't argue with. 1/4 mile times aren't everything but I do like the better engine performance of the Mach but I would imagine the Cobra handles better with the IRS.

Do the 2001's suffer wheel hop really bad like the 03/04 Cobra's. Heard a lot of folks had to modify the IRS on the 03/04's to get them to hook.
Drive a new edge with IRS and unless you are only for drag, you will never look back. I was a huge believer in the solid rear forever. My brother always tried hammering the IRS mentality into me since his Tbird came equipped that way. Long story short I ended up brand new selling solid rear parts and exhaust in favor of an IRS swap. I currently own 3 mustangs all of which have IRS.
I should note none of the cars ever see the drag strip. +1 on the FTBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread