2001 Cobra .vs 2003 MACH1

xenon

Established Member
I am looking to buy either an 01 Cobra or 03 Mach1 but I would like to know the difference for power making potential since they are roughly the same price.

Also I know the 01 Cobra has an aluminium block but does the Mach1 have the same?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
They both have roughly the same engines with a few minor differences.

The Mach1's have the better flowing head while the Cobra has the more agressive cams.

Power potential will be the same within a few Hp of each other bolt on to bolt on.

I would say go with the one you can get the besst deal on.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
They are the same except for intake cams and heads (Mach automatics have cast cranks). As for potential, they are the same.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Torch10th said:
Power potential will be the same within a few Hp of each other bolt on to bolt on.

except that the mach, at the same rwhp level, will make a good amount more rwtq....i.e. better lowend...

wallie40

Established Member
Mach has a solid Axle. If that is what you are looking for it may save you some time instead of swapping into a cobra.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
gear

Mach1s also have a 3.55 gear instead of 3.27s and have the shaker hood which is pretty cool.

Stock vs stock I'd say the Mach1 is a tad quicker on the straight away and the Cobra would be a tad quicker on a twisty course.

Both are great cars, get the one you can get a better deal on.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I think gearing between the two is kind of a non-issue. Anybody looking at modding these cars is going to swap to a lower gear anyway, so the gear you start with sin't goign to make much difference.

I would say if you're in to road racing and auto-x to get the Cobra. If you like drag racing, get the Mach 1

fastmach04

Established Member
Since I have a Mach 1, I only know specifics about it, and not so much about an '01 Cobra. The Mach 1 has an aluminum block, and I thought the Cobra's had a cast iron block, but again, I'm not an expert on Cobra's. The Mach also has the high performance intake cams from Ford's 5.4 liter, which has the same lift as the '01 Cobra, but different overlap and duration. The Mach has a higher compression than the '01 Cobra as well. And as was listed above, the gears are different, the intake is different (more efficient), the IRS in the Cobra compared to the straight axle in the Mach, and the exhaust manifolds are different. As far as suspension, I'm not 100% sure on which one is better, but the Mach does have a different setup than the GT's, which is a little firmer as well as it sits about half an inch lower than the GT's. The Mach also has the cobra brakes, so nothing lost there. As far as which one is better for adding performance, I think it's a head's up, because all it takes is money and you can have whatever you want! But I honestly feel like the Mach 1 was a little better built motor than the 99-01 Cobras, just due to the fact that they adjusted and tweaked some things that made it more efficient as well as a little more accepting of aftermarket performance. Just my opinion. And how could ya not love that shaker hood and retro styling!?!?! Haha Just kidding. Hope this helps, and good luck to you. Just whatever you do, buy a high performance Ford!!!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Yes they both have aluminum blocks. the Terminators have Iron.

The mach is better for drag for two main reasons...1) the intake cams from teh 5.4L motors give better low end torque, and 2) the solid rear.

They are both great cars and it depends on where you are going with them. Decide what you will mostly be doing, and go from there.

BTW - the cobra cams might not have lower bottom end torque, but the upper end is where the Cobra cams will be noticed.

Can't go wrong either way.

God

Established Member
ive yet to loose to a mach1... ive had many ''freeway runs'' and few from digs... and my gf has a mach best of both worlds :thumbsup:

JaCobra

Eaton Powered
Established Member
i would say you cant go wrong with either one of them.. i would all depend on price... there a local dealer around here trying to sell a 01 vert with 20k miles on it for 21k and ive seen mach cheaper then that.. so i would say just look for the best deal.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread