2001 Cobra intake Manifold P/P stage 2

fallingup693

granny shiftin' noob
Established Member
Have a 2001 Cobra Intake Manifold upper/lower/spacer ported and polished to stage 2. Looks brand new. $1200 port job. Asking $600 plus s+h. I have receipt. Was going to use it for a turbo build but decided to stick with supercharger. Will have pics up when I get home from work.

Cobraintaketop.jpg

Cobraintakeelbow.jpg

2001cobraintakereceipt2.jpg

Last edited:

fallingup693

granny shiftin' noob
Established Member
I tried to get the lower port as best I could. Hard to get the right lighting for the underside. But here they are. Looks clean and nicely done. Let me know if you want to see something that I haven't thought of.

cobralowerintake1.jpg

cobralowerintake2.jpg

cobralowerintake3.jpg

fallingup693

granny shiftin' noob
Established Member
I do not believe it is a short runner as there is no indication that the bottom was cut and welded back together. But the runners have been modified

Last edited:

fallingup693

granny shiftin' noob
Established Member
out of curiosity... that looks pretty smooth, but i was under the impression that porting an intake that smooth wasnt beneficial?

Simple physics man. The smoother the surface is, the faster the air is able to travel over said surface. Also, porting involves taking material out of the intake manifold which increases the volume of air the intake manifold is able to pass.

fallingup693

granny shiftin' noob
Established Member
If you really want details as I am not the person that did the work. Search for a shop called Paul's High Performance on Google. Should be the first website. If you want details on how it was done that is where you should shoot your questions. If you want the man himself, shoot him a call and ask him yourself. I am not a welder, I am not a metal smith. I'm just an honest person trying to sell a good product at a decent price.

Last edited:

PhaidOut

Established Member
fallingup may not know the specs; but Paul's is a reputable/popular/rather famous shop in Southern Michigan in case anyone doesn't know. The work on my car was done there. (Just standard bolts ons and a tune...) I can't speak for the porting or who does it there though - I would contact the shop as he suggested.

falling up - Maybe explaining a little more would help people? Like did you use it? How did you get the intake? You know? It sounds like you bought it used, had it ported and never used it. Is that correct?

PhaidOut

Established Member
Simple physics man. The smoother the surface is, the faster the air is able to travel over said surface. Also, porting involves taking material out of the intake manifold which increases the volume of air the intake manifold is able to pass.

Trying to keep this short & simple. Smooth walls eliminates turbulence. Turbulence affects velocity / air flow dramatically. As long as you have sufficient turbulence going into the combustion chamber to thoroughly mix air/fuel - smoother is better last I knew. It is all relative though. Shorter straighter runners in the intake make a big difference. Equalized runners also have an effect.

fallingup693

granny shiftin' noob
Established Member
fallingup may not know the specs; but Paul's is a reputable/popular/rather famous shop in Southern Michigan in case anyone doesn't know. The work on my car was done there. (Just standard bolts ons and a tune...) I can't speak for the porting or who does it there though - I would contact the shop as he suggested.

falling up - Maybe explaining a little more would help people? Like did you use it? How did you get the intake? You know? It sounds like you bought it used, had it ported and never used it. Is that correct?

I personally have never used it. I bought it from an older gentlemen that had used it briefly before he decided to switch to a kenny bell. I picked it up for a turbo build I was planning and has been sitting in my garage ever since. Since then I've picked up my 04 cobra and no longer have a use for it for I am sticking with the supercharger. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It looks like I just got it back from the machine shop.

fallingup693

granny shiftin' noob
Established Member
Paul's is a respected shop but there intakes are extremely overpriced.

The runners of this intake cannot be "equalized" because the inlets have not been touched. The power is made in porting the inlets, not the feed holes or the outlets. In fact, the runner exits have been polihed, not ported, as the injector bosses are still quite thick.

Fully ported intakes go for $650 plus core, a port job like this would go for around $250 plus the core.

Actually, the runner exits are ported. To the extent that two of the injector bosses had to be rewelded because they were ground down too far.

Users who are viewing this thread