2000 GT 3V swap

BajaBoy

Established Member
why oh why would you waste the time on a 3 valve motor if its stock! always baffles me. if it was a 3 valve that was built and had a big power adder ok then but a stock one is barely 280 hp and cant handle much over 450-480 rwhp. i dont know if im going to build something i would rather do it big once then take chances of breaking it. but then again i aint happy unless i got 650 plus rwhp. so theres that.

Agree'd. With the money spent on the swap the 2v could have been making more power.

Well 3V's have 300 stock smart guy, and my car tuned made 291whp 336tq with an x pipe and mufflers...And why oh why do you care..Its my car and not yours, thats why it is the way it is..Because that's how i wanted it..Also the car will be getting a turbo setup.. So theres that for ya.

lol.. 280..300...291rwhp. Theres no difference. Goodluck with that boost on the stock bottom end. :beer:

black03kbcobra

Flawless Victory!
Established Member
Agree'd. With the money spent on the swap the 2v could have been making more power.

lol.. 280..300...291rwhp. Theres no difference. Goodluck with that boost on the stock bottom end. :beer:
Well if just wants to run 5-7lbs of boost and make between 450-480rwhp, then the motor should last quite awhile.... if driven right. 450-480 in that car will surprise a hell of a lot of people.
Good looking bro.

Modmotor4life

Established Member
The stock bottom end will be just fine, it will hold 450rwhp just fine..Its my daily so i have no interest in making huge numbers..Once again i put the 3V in there because thats how i wanted it..Also the 2v gave out on me, thats why i did the swap in the first place.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
why oh why would you waste the time on a 3 valve motor if its stock! always baffles me. if it was a 3 valve that was built and had a big power adder ok then but a stock one is barely 280 hp and cant handle much over 450-480 rwhp. i dont know if im going to build something i would rather do it big once then take chances of breaking it. but then again i aint happy unless i got 650 plus rwhp. so theres that.

Isn't this true for any 2v,3v,4v 4.6 engine (03/04 excluded)? The 99-04 GT,03-04 Mach, and 99-01 Cobra are all limited to around 450-500 rwhp on stock bottom end. There will be a few exceptions here and there but for the most part the limit is around 500rwhp. I agree though, if my engine gives out I'm not putting a stock one back in. I'm staying 2v but building the bottom end and boosting it.

BTW, OP your car is sick and something you dont see every day.:beer:

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
The stock bottom end will be just fine, it will hold 450rwhp just fine..Its my daily so i have no interest in making huge numbers..Once again i put the 3V in there because thats how i wanted it..Also the 2v gave out on me, thats why i did the swap in the first place.

You owe ABSOLUTELY NO ONE on here any explanation for why you did a 3 valve swap on
your 2k GT instead of putting the supercharged turbo 600 ci ram air hemi boss engine in there.:rollseyes

You needed the engine, it was an upgrade to your previous powertrain and you like it.

Enjoy it !!

Last edited:

Modmotor4life

Established Member
You owe ABSOLUTELY NO ONE on here any explanation for why you did a 3 valve swap on
your 2k GT instead of putting the supercharged turbo 600 ci ram air hemi boss engine in there.:rollseyes

You needed the engine, it was an upgrade to your previous powertrain and you like it.

Enjoy it !!

Well said, and thanks guys.

heffs03mach1

COME WITH IT YA SALLY'S
Established Member
Well 3V's have 300 stock smart guy, and my car tuned made 291whp 336tq with an x pipe and mufflers...And why oh why do you care..Its my car and not yours, thats why it is the way it is..Because that's how i wanted it..Also the car will be getting a turbo setup.. So theres that for ya.

exactly i am a smart guy and i do shit right the first time. i was dead on talking about 280ish stock because when i tell people my numbers i talk about rwhp. i never talk fwhp because that is bs. it is a nice swap but if you ever make any numbers you will wish you took the time to at least put some better rods in it and hopefully pistons too. and if your going to be getting into turbos wouldnt it have been smarter to spend a few extra bucks and do this the first time around. so before you get all defensive look at the big picture of what you want to do with the car and take peoples advice on doing it right the first time.

mineralstangt

Established Member
To the OP or the other guy with the red SN95 . . . How easy was the swap? I have a 3V that I'm looking to put cams, ported heads and whatever else I can do while the motor is not in a vehicle but my main question is I have my daily, 2002 GT with 119K miles that's never given me problems, and a 1998 stage 1 Roush that I'd like to do something with and was wondering if it would be easier to put the motor into the Roush then converting my 02 or if it matters either way? Thanks in advance.

Modmotor4life

Established Member
exactly i am a smart guy and i do shit right the first time. i was dead on talking about 280ish stock because when i tell people my numbers i talk about rwhp. i never talk fwhp because that is bs. it is a nice swap but if you ever make any numbers you will wish you took the time to at least put some better rods in it and hopefully pistons too. and if your going to be getting into turbos wouldnt it have been smarter to spend a few extra bucks and do this the first time around. so before you get all defensive look at the big picture of what you want to do with the car and take peoples advice on doing it right the first time.

Once again, this will cover your statement, its my car and im doing it my way, not how you think it should be done the first time or the 50th time..Its not your car so dont worry about it, i dont care how you do it or anyone else.

Modmotor4life

Established Member
To the OP or the other guy with the red SN95 . . . How easy was the swap? I have a 3V that I'm looking to put cams, ported heads and whatever else I can do while the motor is not in a vehicle but my main question is I have my daily, 2002 GT with 119K miles that's never given me problems, and a 1998 stage 1 Roush that I'd like to do something with and was wondering if it would be easier to put the motor into the Roush then converting my 02 or if it matters either way? Thanks in advance.

Its not the easiest swap ever, talk the the guys at Logan Motorsports.

Modmotor4life

Established Member
Wait, did you do the swap yourself or no? I plan on doing my own work.

Didnt do the swap, as i have no garage to do any work like that, however Logan Motorsports has a few things you will need for the swap..Its not just a direct swap, there are parts needed to make it work..If you do the swap yourself, i would say do some research before starting the swap.

MR.SCOOPINATOR

Established Member
MODMOTOR4LIFE
Once again, this will cover your statement, its my car and im doing it my way, not how you think it should be done the first time or the 50th time..Its not your car so dont worry about it, i dont care how you do it or anyone else
Good for you man. You will find alot of good advise on here, but in the end its your car. STICK TO WHAT YOU LIKE...And beleave me every bodys got a opinon on here , lol as you can tell this forum does not lack in the subject. Best of luck..:beer:

Keith Stone

Banned
Definitely not something I would do unless someone handed me a free 3V. You can find 4V's for just as much, if not less, and 4V > 3V. Glad you like it and it sounds great!

Sammyboy

Established Member
Didnt do the swap, as i have no garage to do any work like that, however Logan Motorsports has a few things you will need for the swap..Its not just a direct swap, there are parts needed to make it work..If you do the swap yourself, i would say do some research before starting the swap.

Pre-99' cars are a little different, and require a little more work. The engine in my car was cammed, headers, intake all your basic bolt-ons. Firstly, I went with the coil on plug so I had to alter my wiring harness, also switched injectors (which you didn't have to do). I also had to upgrade my fuel system, return style to returnless, doesn't really go to well together. I did all of the work on my car. I did it because I had never seen one, and honestly I thought the 3v sounded much better than a 4 valve engine. Needless to say, I was the only 3v 1996 running around East TN.

Modmotor4life

Established Member
I couldnt find a 4v around here for what i paid for my 3v, the only 4v i would have put in my car would have been a 96-98 cobra or 99-01 cobra motor..And those motors cost about twice what my 3v cost. That's how it was at that time at least.

Users who are viewing this thread