200+ mph quest

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
200mpg in a standing mile is the goal for my car- I really only need to change the rear gearing from the current 3.73 to 3.27 or so. car is stripped with a .20 over ported/cammed with a procharger F1a on 20 psi. I think I am going to try the carrabelle half mile as a shakedown setting.

MGC

Established Member
That doesn't mean anything. You can hit 170 in a ton of cars. Once you hit that "wall" squeezing the extra MPH out of a car whether it be 1 MPH or 20 MPH, becomes very difficult.

It takes a lot more to go from 185-190 than it does to go from 165-170. The higher the speed the more exponentially harder it becomes to tack on a few more MPHs.

Alot of good points in this thread so far:

1. Low drag, high speed rated tire

2. Turbo if its feasible

3. Cage with harness bar and harness

4. Shed as much weight as possible

5. Box in that radiator and H/E or intercooler depending on if you go turbo

6. PTW clearance (they're gonna expand fast as the speed)

7. Well planned cooling system

8. Race gas and full return setup

I would say to get the car as low as possible and create some underbody sheetmetal covers. The rear bumper alone will act like a parachute holding you back for those extra digits.

EDIT: Here's one thread that'll become useful fast:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/419119-weight-reduction-specifics.html

good point about the aero work, if I were building a mile car, it'd have a sheetmetal wing(straight off the back, kind of like an exaggerated saleen wing), true heat extractor hood (like racebronco's) and possibly an underbelly pan with heat extractors (angled down toward the ground) in specific locations.

Even if you are using race gas, I believe you would want a specific tune for a mile event.

For rims and tires I'd go with an SFI rated rim, and a slick tire.

As for reduction of weight, does it make sense that a heavier car that speed would be more stable? (granted it would need HP?)

GodStang

Established Member
I thought he did that with a 2.8 KB. I can send him a text tomorrow and ask him if he doesnt see this thread first.

I think you are right but by no means a 2.8L a big blower. With the 3.4, 3.6, 4.0, 4.2 out there the 2.8L is tiny.

This is the 2.3L that he beat. A local guy owns it now:

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

Qwk GT

Established Member
I'm assuming all the guys that successfully pulled this off had build motors for the PTW issues.

Although I think I read people got close with stock longblocks. Not sure why some people blow up their shit and others do 5th gear or more pulls and their motors survive.

SVTDice

Established Member
A stock Cobra will take you close to 200 if you have a big enough piece of road with no Limiter.

Only problem is You'll probably toast your engine by then.

Edit: What do you guys think of doing a run like this with say E98 paired up with a Killerchiller with a fuel cell. You think that would kill the heat issue or do you still think it would be too much?

Last edited:

DOHC

Just Mod It
Established Member
I'm assuming all the guys that successfully pulled this off had build motors for the PTW issues.

Although I think I read people got close with stock longblocks. Not sure why some people blow up their shit and others do 5th gear or more pulls and their motors survive.

TUNE.........

5th 6th gear tunes
Many stock motors survived 200+

MY DREAM

Established Member
Just FYI I have gone 182 with the mods listed below. The car was still climbing with no probs but the road was limited. My speed was verified with two GPS's. Not that they are the most accurate, but it is what it is. I started from a 70mph roll. I think the tune plays an important roll as does cooling mods. Ultimately the PTW clearance is the main issue and high cylinder pressure and heat will end in contact between the piston and the cylinder wall. I think that with proper mods on stock pistons it can only be prolonged so far and eventually the PTW clearance will end the motor. The BEST thing to do is replace the pistons with a more suitable clearance, good cooling mods and a proper tune. Just my opinion, I don't have a lot of experience in this area. I have gone 150-182 only a few time.....all on borrowed time I am sure.

James

Anabolic

Banned
very well possible..

a few people rather reach top speed opposed to 1/4mile times..

wouldn't be hard and shouldn';t neeed alot of mods.

just the "cover your ass" mods in my opinion..
cooling... good gas.... good tune.... SPACE

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
well, the C5 targa was rated 174 mph.. (C5 Z06 only 171 due to worse aerodynamics)..

Rating is way different than what you need in the mile. I've gone the last two years and see so many modified Vettes, Stangs and others come up way short of what they thought. The Texas Mile is very humbling.

When I went to the mile, there were a ton of big blower GT500's smashing 200 mph.
:beer:
When did you go and see tons of them smashing 200? Reason I ask is I've gone the last two years and there werent tons of GT500s and only one or two broke 200, one of which was Van and even he took several attempts.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Rating is way different than what you need in the mile. I've gone the last two years and see so many modified Vettes, Stangs and others come up way short of what they thought. The Texas Mile is very humbling.

When did you go and see tons of them smashing 200? Reason I ask is I've gone the last two years and there werent tons of GT500s and only one or two broke 200, one of which was Van and even he took several attempts.

October of 2009 and the year before.

http://www.texasmile.net/pdf/2009TXMILEMARCHFinal_RawResults_Names_Description.pdf

Two over 100, one at 197 and another in the high 180's. That was in October, 2009.

Here was the next event, I am Jeremy Albright in both of these,

http://www.texasmile.net/pdf/October_2009_RawResults.pdf

There were even more that time, but the results unfortunately do not list car type.

That looks like a big whipple, you thinking about giving it a shot?

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Oh ok, makes sense then. I recently moved to South Texas and didnt see the 09/10 events.

As for my car it's been a paper weight ever since I let a tooner get a hold of it so it wont be doing much of anything and I'll just be a spectator til funds permit.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Oh ok, makes sense then. I recently moved to South Texas and didnt see the 09/10 events.

As for my car it's been a paper weight ever since I let a tooner get a hold of it so it wont be doing much of anything and I'll just be a spectator til funds permit.

I hear that.. let me know if you decide to do it, It'd be cool to try and represent for the 03-04 crew again, and really awesome if we could get some terminator guys together who were willing to blow their motors LOL (I might try again!). :beer:

Blaine@PSI

Established Member
tell me about it foof. I did it in a terminator 200+ actually 205.3 mph cost me a lot of money, time, and damn near my family. will not try it again. sold the car.

now to set some things straight my car was indeed a true street car a/c, power steering, radio everything was in the car. Im the ONLY terminator to go over 200mph in one mile documented. I have the cert. that is not a "race" car. esqueddy went 186 in the mile, and others in the 190's such as foof. i went 165mph in a mile with a stock blower pullied for 14lbs. and from there i just kept getting faster.

i did it with only a heat exchanger, and pfab box for cooling mods.
stock transmission ratio gear set though highly modified,(micronite, etc.)
rear gears changed to 3.31
ON DRAG RADIALS nitto 305/35/18
lots of brake upgrades to stop(brembo, +1 bear 2 pcs, syn brake fluid, porterfield race pads)
clutch was a spec twin the highest offered
motor was built by myself and J mihovetz help
4.6 teksid, 9.5 comp, made almost 900rwhp at 25lbs of whipple 3.4 boost

just some things to post real info on

thanks jeremy for the props it was a long and hard road to get there.

Users who are viewing this thread