200+ mph quest

Kennytgnewedge

Established Member
Ok so since i was a kid i have always wanted to go 200. Now that i have a cobra and a built mmr 1000. 4.75. I think i have a good foundation to start. Has any one taken this car that far? This is what i want to build it for if posible. I wana go fast! I couldnt find a thread on this so boom. Im pretty mutch asking how should i go about this?

Thank you for your coments !:-D

My curent mods..
Mmr 1000 4.75 knotch pistons stock heads
9.1 com
Bassani mid length and off road x
K member
Stock eaton stock uper 2lb lower.

Ya thats it... I got a long way to go !

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
lol..

Atomic_Bomb.jpg

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Power. Lots and lots of power...and cooling, and traction, and lots of room.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Lots of people with tons of time and money have tried.. Only to explode. EDIT: Except blaine has done it now, congrats!

190 MPH seems to be the magic number for 03/04 Cobra's on blower. I did this with just a pulley, verified on a GPS way back in the day. Here is the video SKIP TO 4:18.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG8LXWcJouY"]Supra/Cobra Races - YouTube[/nomedia]

Then much later with a lot more power.. Here was when I was at the mile.

1313octtxmile.jpg

I have officially smoked 3 motors on 3 attempts at 200 mph. Each time got to ~190 (from looking at the datalog), and melted down.

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I bet a Turbo car could do it.

I have officially smoked 3 motors on 3 attempts.

This. A PD blower is just not efficient enough for the long pull. Even with a twin screw it generates so much heat. If you want the motor to last then change the power adder IMO. Turbo or even a Centri like a Procharger. Plus better PTW clearance. I assume you have that with your built motor. Cooling system needs to be perfect. Boxed in radiator and etc.

You don't need 800rhwp to reach 200. Hell a BPU Supra on stock turbos and 425 RWHP can reach 200 with ease. I've been there done that more than once. Turbo is so much more efficient on the long runs. Only thing more power will do is get you there quicker.

Don't just monitor A/F ratio. Also monitor your EGTs (Exhaust Gas Temps). Use them together to monitor how efficient your engine is running.

Last edited:

Michael Hughes

1 of 299
Established Member
If you are going to use a supercharger in a mile long run.

You will need a five gallon truck mount reservoir for the supercharger to start. You need to keep the IAT down, or bye bye engine.

You will need a 1000rwhp fuel system in the car. The fuel comsummation rate is a lot great at 200 than 100. I.e drag.

You will need to run you car on c-16 race fuel or something of the same octane.

DO NOT run drag radials on you car when doing this!! They are not made to with stand the temperature that will be produce at these speed. You need a road race tire.

A six point roll cage would be a smart ideal too.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
One of our members here used to hold the record at 218. But it was a big blower car with a 306 cid engine and over 700rwhp.

GodStang

Established Member
Wow lot of people postin just to post. A 2.3L Whipple did it in 2004 or 2005 with sub 700rwhp. Eddy then crushed that record a few years later with a 2.6L and averaged like 213 but top was around 224 with a little 2.6 and right around 700rwhp. Correct gearing, cooling, suspension and tires. Power is not the hard part.

Ironhand

Banned
Wow lot of people postin just to post. A 2.3L Whipple did it in 2004 or 2005 with sub 700rwhp. Eddy then crushed that record a few years later with a 2.6L and averaged like 213 but top was around 224 with a little 2.6 and right around 700rwhp. Correct gearing, cooling, suspension and tires. Power is not the hard part.

I thought he did that with a 2.8 KB. I can send him a text tomorrow and ask him if he doesnt see this thread first.

FiDo

Established Member
There's a 2003 with a Kenne Bell @ 21psi and 650hp in Sweden that has run 342 kph (~212.5 mph). You can see a picture of it at:

Persåkers Speed Shop - FYND

(scroll down almost to the bottom).

He's a famous drag racer in Sweden so I think it's legit.

EDIT: sorry, it should be 670hp

Last edited:

street591

®®®®
Established Member
Just buy a c6z06! I did 170 in my stock c5 with an a4

That doesn't mean anything. You can hit 170 in a ton of cars. Once you hit that "wall" squeezing the extra MPH out of a car whether it be 1 MPH or 20 MPH, becomes very difficult.

It takes a lot more to go from 185-190 than it does to go from 165-170. The higher the speed the more exponentially harder it becomes to tack on a few more MPHs.

Alot of good points in this thread so far:

1. Low drag, high speed rated tire

2. Turbo if its feasible

3. Cage with harness bar and harness

4. Shed as much weight as possible

5. Box in that radiator and H/E or intercooler depending on if you go turbo

6. PTW clearance (they're gonna expand fast as the speed)

7. Well planned cooling system

8. Race gas and full return setup

I would say to get the car as low as possible and create some underbody sheetmetal covers. The rear bumper alone will act like a parachute holding you back for those extra digits.

EDIT: Here's one thread that'll become useful fast:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/419119-weight-reduction-specifics.html

Last edited:

MY DREAM

Established Member
What about trans and gearing? Will the factory gears in our cars hold up to the stress? Will they alow us to reach 200mph+?

James

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
The driveline seems to hold up great.

However, I switched to a 3.08 rear to avoid too much time in overdrive. This is where my motors popped. Maybe this was my folly, because it looks like Blaine did it with a higher rear end gear. I'm loving this thread, making me want to give it another shot. I had no idea, nor had ever heard of the Swedish car!

Esqueddy did have a big blower. I saw it on the dyno. I'm pretty sure it made a lot more than GodStang indicated. Sorry for confusing your goal with doing it in the mile! I think just a nice pull from 100 mph to 200 mph would be a lot less stress than rowing all the gears from a stop.

When I went to the mile, there were a ton of big blower GT500's smashing 200 mph. It's good to see that there are at least 3 terminators that have done it officially.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread