2 Videos of Magnaflow catback

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Originally posted by shanker
I've had the mags and stock Hpipe on for months and I never knew how good it sounded. Maybe I should let someone else drive it so I can hear it. Maybe.

yea it sounds so much better outside of the car. Finding someone trust worthy enough to drive your Cobra is another thing lol

DSCobra01

Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced46
I have only heard the stinger exhaust on hear. I am still waiting to hear someones video with a Stinger driving under load. All the ones ive heard are just revving. its hard to tell like that. I actually am considering the stinger setup. I really like the tips.

Guys,

I ordered the Borla Stinger exhaust and UPS has it scheduled for delivery on Monday. As soon as I have it installed and I get my friend to help me film some videos I'll post them here. I know many people have been looking for a good stinger video as well and the only one's I have seen have been just rev's from a standstilll.

I know I only have an 01 Cobra, but some nice vids of in-car driving, downshifting and WOT ( in-car and drive by) should help out a lot of people. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with Borla, Bassani and MagnaFlow. It's just a matter of how much you are willing to spend on the different qualities each exhaust has.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
By request:

http://outside.drobnak.com:4185/dave_car/MagnaflowWOT.wmv

I went out and did a 3rd gear WOT so you can hear what it sounds like. Sorry for the blurry video. My friend left the camcorder on manual focus. Hopefully this helps a little more.

DSCobra- if you can get a good video of the stinger that would be great. im sure the 01s sound similar to the 03s minus the blower whine

Dave

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
hell yeah, i love the sound of that. So all you got done is a 2.93 pulley, CAI (what kind?), exhaust and the predator. How hard is it to use that thing?

stevieb

Established Member
Damn that sounds good. I think I will keep my car like it is. The Magnaflows may not be loud as the stingers or others, but it gives the car class! Subtle with a little rumble while cruising, and at wot it screams (of course the blower whine helps too). Kind of like an exotic European (you know, the red Italian ones).

Hey, heres my .02 on the drone. I can get a slight drone on my car if Im in 6th @ 1800-2200 rpms, but if I change the rpm range it goes away. So unless Im trying to get over 200 miles to the tank, I drive in 5th at about 3100 rpm. Sounds hella good and has instant boost when I stab it. :burnout:

tvguy

By request:

http://outside.drobnak.com:4185/dave_car/MagnaflowWOT.wmv

I went out and did a 3rd gear WOT so you can hear what it sounds like. Sorry for the blurry video. My friend left the camcorder on manual focus. Hopefully this helps a little more.

DSCobra- if you can get a good video of the stinger that would be great. im sure the 01s sound similar to the 03s minus the blower whine

Dave

First of all, thank you for the effort of going out and shooting these videos. It is much appreciated. And secondly, your car sounds bad ass!! Stinger vs Magnaflows!! Decisions decisions decisions....
pacotaco
PS. Why is everything I look at STILL blurry!!! :) j/k

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Still have the stock H on :)

Thanks again for the compliments. Only mods are 2.93 the CAI is an AFM CAI. All it is, is an open air filter with an adapter that bolts to the MAF. If you click my website link there is a pic in there. The predator is cake to use. Its not a bad tool, but it still has a few things i do not like about it. i am selling it soon and going with an SCT custom tune, so i can fine tune the car. I may try a 2.80 pulley as well.

stevieb- if you are having drone at those RPMs you just need to drive faster :-D :-D

pacotaco- no problem. I dont mind it at all. I love taking videos. let me know if there is anything else that you guys want to see (while trying to keep it legal :p )

I still want to hear the Stinger under a load with a Stock H. If it sounds that much better i may sell the magnaflows. But its just the cost that gets to me. Im cheap and broke.

Dave

stevieb

Established Member
Still have the stock H on :)

pacotaco- no problem. I dont mind it at all. I love taking videos. let me know if there is anything else that you guys want to see (while trying to keep it legal :p )

Dave
Do you think your friend would stand on the side of the road and film you if we asked you to do a 130mph flyby and then shift into 6th as you approach the camera? :-D Just thought Id ask!

tvguy

Dave

Well, now that you asked. A Cobra full of naked Hooters girls from a slow roll to WOT would be nice. :) Also at a stop with the ladies posing on your hood. Like you, I would like to hear the Stingers as well under load, but would prefer the Hooters girls video first. Hehe. Thanks again for the videos!!
pacotaco

Last edited by a moderator:

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
so with that predator, you never needed to burn a chip for that pulley? How do you know if it is running to lean? I hope to get mine sounding as sweet as yours. Thanks for all your help on here. I just need to get the junk now.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I dynoed my car to find out if it was lean or not. Originally i installed the Predator pulley tune and drove around like that for about 2 weeks. I didnt adjust anything. I went and dynoed the car and found out that it was lean withthe pulley tune loaded. I richened it up as far as it can go. Now the a/f is alright. But i do not like how it is in the lower RPMs. its still a little lean

Dave

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have only heard the stinger exhaust on hear. I am still waiting to hear someones video with a Stinger driving under load. All the ones ive heard are just revving. its hard to tell like that. I actually am considering the stinger setup. I really like the tips. But i just can justify spending $600 for a C/B. Installation is pretty simple. i did it in under an hour. its very easy especially since im used to doing GT exhaust where the tailpipe bends over the axles. if you have your basic hand tools and some jack stands or ramps you can do this w/o a problem

The steeda took care of his drone. I drove in his car and it sounds very nice. No drone at all from what i heard. As far as power. Cobra bob has similar mods to mine with an addition of a Magnaflow catted X and a TB. He is making 5-6rwhp and 5rwhp more then me. Now its still hard to compare since they were dont on different dynos and different days. But IMO I do not think a catted X is going to give that much more power, just sound.
I tend to agree with you Dave. I'm sure it helps at certain RPMs but overall I don't think there is much of a gain in rwhp.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by pacotaco
Hey,

How loud is the Steeda compared to the Magnaflow? Do you like your new exhaust better?
pacotaco
PS. Yep, I was talking about price for just the catback. $360 seems like a good deal. Thanks for the info Stevieb.
Sound with these systems is such a personal preference. They're really all sweet. I just didn't like the drone at 1900-2100 rpms while crusing. The X-pipe made it worse. Someone posted here that the Steeda system didn't have any drone, and it seemed to be what I was really looking for. So I went for it and have been very happy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For anyone wanting a bit of info on droning, here is my post from another thread.

Drone in the exhaust is due to the engine driving the exhaust system at its resonant frequency. You can't get rid of it, but you can change the frequency (RPM) it happens at. The stock exhaust system is tuned to put the resonant frequencies outside the normal RPM range the engine is run in. Unfortunately most of us are bent on disrupting the tuning of our exhaust system by swapping in aftermarket catbacks, X-pipes, headers, etc. LOL!

The stock system has an H-pipe that changes the natural frequency of the system, in addition to help tune the system for quiet cruising. Adding an X-pipe or any aftermarket exhaust system affects the overall noise tuning of course. And the result is an increased volume of exhaust noise, as well as droning at unwanted cruising rpms. (But most of us don't really care about that -- me included!) Some catbacks seem to be engineered to change the rpms at which you would hear a drone. My Steeda catback seems to be one of those because cruising at 1900-2100 rpms is about 50% quieter than with the Magnaflow catback I originally had installed.

Because there are so many exhaust combinations available, I always advise people to hear them on an actual car before they make their purchase. If you're more interested in power output then the Stinger is definitely a great choice.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
so your advice would be to stay away from the predator and just get a diablo chip burnt went I buy the pulley? I live in Texas, any good references?

Users who are viewing this thread