2.8KB(GT500) blower vs. 3.4 Whipple (Lightning) blower Side by side comparison

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
I picked the 3.4 for the truck based upon my tuner's suggestion. They've done countless blower upgrades/installs, and this seems to be the best candidate for my specific build. I'll be running a Ford GT alum. block, new Trick-Flow 2V heads & cams, so maximizing the airflow was on the top of my list.

Hello high mid to high 9's

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Well neither one is on the car/truck yet.. Good question though. I'll be interested in seeing how both the installs go, how well everything fits/looks...etc. I'll post up #'s for both after it's all said and done.

I picked the 2.8KB for the GT500, simply because I own a 2.2 for my 03, and haven't had a single issue with it. Shelby Auto's also choose this for their "ultimate" upgrade on their cars, thus there should be quite a bit of research/refinement of this specific compressor. I'm hoping to have little to no issues whatsoever.

I picked the 3.4 for the truck based upon my tuner's suggestion. They've done countless blower upgrades/installs, and this seems to be the best candidate for my specific build. I'll be running a Ford GT alum. block, new Trick-Flow 2V heads & cams, so maximizing the airflow was on the top of my list.

Are those heads already out? How much did you pay?

And doesnt MPH or some shop make a huge intake, flows 1800cfm or something...i was just reading about it somewhere, whipple guys were picking up 100hp with it...

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Well neither one is on the car/truck yet.. Good question though. I'll be interested in seeing how both the installs go, how well everything fits/looks...etc. I'll post up #'s for both after it's all said and done.

I picked the 2.8KB for the GT500, simply because I own a 2.2 for my 03, and haven't had a single issue with it. Shelby Auto's also choose this for their "ultimate" upgrade on their cars, thus there should be quite a bit of research/refinement of this specific compressor. I'm hoping to have little to no issues whatsoever.

You my friend basically own the best of SVT :bowdown: Only thing missing is a Ford GT (unless you own one already :eek:)

Common

Established Member
You my friend basically own the best of SVT :bowdown: Only thing missing is a Ford GT (unless you own one already :eek:)

If OP actually put some thought into it, crunched some numbers, he would have had enough to buy the FGT if he sold his three others cars and didnt do these builds. Might not cash one out, but I sense it would be damn close....

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
If OP actually put some thought into it, crunched some numbers, he would have had enough to buy the FGT if he sold his three others cars and didnt do these builds. Might not cash one out, but I sense it would be damn close....

I just got married a month ago, there will be no more huge builds for me, nor a Ford GT anywhere in the near future, especially with her expensive purse-jewelery habit. :D :shrug:

CobraSVT657

Established Member
I just got married a month ago, there will be no more huge builds for me, nor a Ford GT anywhere in the near future, especially with her expensive purse-jewelery habit. :D :shrug:

HAHA.... should have never bought her the first coach purse and you wouldnt have to keep buying them..lol

04torchred

Established Member
I bought a 2.8KB for my GT500 a while back...it's still in a box, and I just received my Whipple 3.4 for my Lightning.

I just wanted to show everyone some basic design differences between the 2 compressors.

If anyone has any questions or wants a different pic posted, let me know. :rockon:

On the very back of the 3.4 spend $400 and get someone to weld a little more material to the back of the inlet for you. If you aren't sure what I mean PM 357cstang or myself and we can show you pictures of how we reworked the 3.4 inlet on our Cobra's. It will help with IAT2 temps and consistency in making power.

You have a good bit of volume that can be added and it will help, my only suggestion.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
I like em both but i've never like that kb have a dipstick and you have to change the oil so often. I like whipples approach to its oiling system much better!

Users who are viewing this thread