2-3 shift fixes?

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
i already have an MGW, clutch line upgrade, and dot 4 fluid. trans shifts flawlessly at 7400 1-2 and 3-4 at the track, but i cant get it to go into 3rd above 6700. i have a whiteline trans bushing coming, but if that doesnt fix the problem whats the next step? motor mounts, torque limiting brace? really want to get this dealt with as i dont think i should be trapping 117-118 in the 1/4 but only 86 in the 1/8.

car is full bolt ons minus a TB, wieghs 3780 with driver. been a best of 12.24 @ 117 1.69 60'

jas11151990

Established Member
I use the face palm method...works every time

exactly^ ..... I found out it wasn't so much the car as my style of driving. I put a shifter bracket in and went from grasping/holding the shift knob and throwing the gear to the palm method and it fixed the issue.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I know it may not be optimal, but i bet if you rev to 7500 and hold the clutch a second then shift it will go in. Pressure plate assy just not up to the task of shifting above 7000 rpm fast and repeatedly. I think stock boss owners have this issue also and the redline on those is 7500?

gs462

Established Member
I use the face palm method...works every time

This you CANNOT slam it into 3rd OR 5th gear it just aint happening, put ur open palm on the shifter n slide it up n over you'll get faster with practice, but slamming it into 3rd aint happening.

jdcobra

Established Member
The whiteline trans bushing should cure it. I have a two post bracket, stock shifter, clutch line, and amsoil fluid with the bushing and to me it makes a major difference in the 2-3 shifts

twistedneck

Established Member
I had to put steeda motor mounts on.. then its 90 percent cured. I still have to shift it nicely no smashing into 3rd but no more lock out.

LTD5.0

Established Member
I shimmed my MGW by adding two washers to the passenger side of the two post mount to fix my second gear lock out. I haven't had a lock out since. Shim mod

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
You need to change how you shift 2-3.

You need to let the return springs do the work on returning the shifter to "dead center". Basically just push the shifter up out of second, let the springs take it to center, then push up into 3rd. You can't try to force that shift, unfortunately. Everyone I know locally with 400+ rwhp have no problems doing this at the track.

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
You need to change how you shift 2-3.

You need to let the return springs do the work on returning the shifter to "dead center". Basically just push the shifter up out of second, let the springs take it to center, then push up into 3rd. You can't try to force that shift, unfortunately. Everyone I know locally with 400+ rwhp have no problems doing this at the track.

I'll give that a try tonight before I switch back to my stock wheels now that summer is over

jdcobra

Established Member
I'll give that a try tonight before I switch back to my stock wheels now that summer is over

So what was the verdict? Did the palm method work for ya? I've always done the palm method with almost every manual I've driven for the 2-3 shift

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
So what was the verdict? Did the palm method work for ya? I've always done the palm method with almost every manual I've driven for the 2-3 shift

Yes and no, it worked 7/10 attempts for me, didn't want to chance anymore 2-3 wot shifts on the highway. Will see how it works at the track

jdcobra

Established Member
Yes and no, it worked 7/10 attempts for me, didn't want to chance anymore 2-3 wot shifts on the highway. Will see how it works at the track

Yea it will probably just take some getting used to. You could also be shifting faster with your foot than your hand and it could lock you out. I did that a couple times

corysmach1

Established Member
The palm method works for me on 2-3 shift at 7700. I can rip 1-2 but not 2-3 but can on 3-4....it does suck but i want this tranny to live.

Deranged2013

Established Member
No trans or shifter upgrades yet and I shift @ 7500 using the palm method. The few times I did try to push it into center and up, it would lock out and hit the rev limiter. Letting the shifter center itself is the key.

Users who are viewing this thread