1st 9 second 2018 Mustang GT

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely cool but Im with some of the others... nothing really that new. Previous gen 5.0 was already there.

5.0 is definitely a great bang for the buck. Id still take an SVT vehicle ALL day.

:rolleyes: o_O :confused:

Resale would be the only reason as of today. At this point the '18 car makes any prior SVT model a waste of money if targeting 1/4 times/mph.

We'll have to see what the new gt500 brings.. Im sure it will be impressive and make my comments above null and void.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Resale would be the only reason as of today. At this point the '18 car makes any prior SVT model a waste of money if targeting 1/4 times/mph.
We'll have to see what the new gt500 brings.. Im sure it will be impressive and make my comments above null and void.
See,...you make a GREAT point Dom.
What if these loaded up '18 GT Mustangs with a supercharger/tune/some suspension goodies will be faster than the new GT500. That will be something, huh?
IIRC, the new '18's with a Whipple supercharger can have over 800HP at the crank and run 9's in the quarter. If someone looking for just a straight line car, what would be the incentive to buy the new GT500? (Besides bragging rights?? lol) You'll save money on the car, save money on taxes, but without that 3/36 warranty.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

Not just resale (which I particulary dont care as much about). Its a specialty car. Guys care about special cars. Cars that are rarer, that they don’t see around every corner.

Its also about having a car that is “fast” without having to mod the shit out of.

Not everyone is living life 1/4 mile at a time. I know I dont.

Next svt will make the new gt a peon. Once you start modding, even a civic can win the race.

AdrianMAK

No 2-step on this car, that was the lane next to us making all kinds of noise. This car is pretty damn quiet. no codes on the 18

I think a lot of people don't realize that the 18 Coyote is nothing like the 17 down coyote motors. PCM is different as well, this motor has DI as well as PI. I think when most people realize that, they change their opinion when the realize its not a refresh with the same motor that has already gone 9s.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
well lets not forget the new car price of a GT500 which is probably gonna be close to $70k. and for those that pay property car taxes every year that a shit load of money to spend. here in CT thats a couple grand a year even if u never drive the dam thing! and sales car tax here are almost 8% on a car over $50k.

not having to "Mod" the shit out of a factory car is kool I agree but that novelty isn't so exciting when u factor in how much money one spends modifying a GT vs. the base price of a new GT500 so id say the modified GT will still be far cheaper and faster and lighter then the GT500.

but no warranty which is nice for a while but eventually that runs out and if one modifies their GT500 they will likely void that warranty anyway.

no not everyone is a 1/4 mile at a time but everyone drives down the hi way and everyone goes from one stop light to another and that is on par with someone wanting to go fast in the 1/4 mile. all are going fast straight.

Not just resale (which I particulary dont care as much about). Its a specialty car. Guys care about special cars. Cars that are rarer, that they don’t see around every corner.

Its also about having a car that is “fast” without having to mod the shit out of.

Not everyone is living life 1/4 mile at a time. I know I dont.

Next svt will make the new gt a peon. Once you start modding, even a civic can win the race.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
=Next svt will make the new gt a peon. Once you start modding, even a civic can win the race.
I dont know about peon, car has a procharger with supporting mods and it runs 9s.
High end mustangs are still mustangs at the end of the day. All you are driving in is a mustang with a snake badge on it, dont need a ton of mods on a 5.0 to be faster.

R1Lello

Established Member
I think we learned a few things over the years: 1) GT500's don't hold their value 2) Shelby name has been over marketed so much 3) They def'ly made too many and for too many years so no, it's not special 4) You'll be dead for a long time before the value MAY climb 5) #4 may not matter with fuel slowing going away/strength of the electric vehicle and 6) Potential is not as great as the 5.0. I was a GT500 owner but the 5.0 has impressed me so much over the last several years with it's potential, especially boosted.

So go-ahead and think the '19 GT500 will be the cats a$$ and overpay (even at msrp) but 2007 will come right back - just glad I didn't overpay back then.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I was a GT500 owner but the 5.0 has impressed me so much over the last several years with it potential, especially boosted.
If you go to the Ford site all they have are the 5 liter engines and a 5.2XS motor. I'm wondering why they dont have any 5.4 or 5.8 DOHC variants the come with a supercharger. They do have a 5.8, but its an NA push rod motor.

I dont know about the rest of what you said tho. The GT500 is a nice to have car with more options than the 5.0. But at that price (prepare your butts for new GT500 ADM) it is knocking on the door of Z06's, which if you're a road course guy will always be faster by nature, lighter weight true sports car.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I dont know about peon, car has a procharger with supporting mods and it runs 9s.
High end mustangs are still mustangs at the end of the day. All you are driving in is a mustang with a snake badge on it, dont need a ton of mods on a 5.0 to be faster.

I know. And yes, a peon.

How fast a car can go once heavily modded is irrelevant. (Yes, adding a blower kit to a car that did not come with one from the factory is considered to he a pretty signifIcant mod).

Hi end mustangs are.... hi end mustangs, not regular mustangs, which are mass produced. Which explains why people pay the premium.

And to your last statement, that is quite inacurrate if you are comparing cars of the same year/gen and same transmission.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I think we learned a few things over the years: 1) GT500's don't hold their value 2) Shelby name has been over marketed so much 3) They def'ly made too many and for too many years so no, it's not special 4) You'll be dead for a long time before the value MAY climb 5) #4 may not matter with fuel slowing going away/strength of the electric vehicle and 6) Potential is not as great as the 5.0. I was a GT500 owner but the 5.0 has impressed me so much over the last several years with it's potential, especially boosted.

So go-ahead and think the '19 GT500 will be the cats a$$ and overpay (even at msrp) but 2007 will come right back - just glad I didn't overpay back then.

1) That depends papa. Dont generalize “gt500s” as not all are built the same.

2) I agree on the over marketed part and that they made a bit too many of them.

3) They are still special cars. “Special” is also subjective. And again, this will also depend on which model year gt500 you are talking about.

4-5) dont care about that.

6) not accurate when comparing manual to manual. Autos are on their own, since SVT has been really good about only building cars for men.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
No 2-step on this car, that was the lane next to us making all kinds of noise. This car is pretty damn quiet. no codes on the 18

I think a lot of people don't realize that the 18 Coyote is nothing like the 17 down coyote motors. PCM is different as well, this motor has DI as well as PI. I think when most people realize that, they change their opinion when the realize its not a refresh with the same motor that has already gone 9s.
HOLD THE PHONE!!

US?

who are you to the car

R1Lello

Established Member
1) That depends papa. Dont generalize “gt500s” as not all are built the same.

2) I agree on the over marketed part and that they made a bit too many of them.

3) They are still special cars. “Special” is also subjective. And again, this will also depend on which model year gt500 you are talking about.

4-5) dont care about that.

6) not accurate when comparing manual to manual. Autos are on their own, since SVT has been really good about only building cars for men.

" papa" ? That's mature !

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
" papa" ? That's mature !

Lol... I guess you are either uptight or just confused / thinking we are in a professional setting.

Sorry I offended you. I will adjust fire so as to avoid infringing into your safe space next time.

Users who are viewing this thread