1BAD96SVT's build thread - 11/11 forged motor

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Looks like nice work! I always really liked the look of his car.

Did you ever get your own car done? Didn't you have a thread on the corral ages ago where you were doing all sorts of frame work on it?

95PGTTech

Established Member
Wow very nice build and great attention to detail. Too bad your so far away.

You'd be a new record, but I have a customer with a 600awhp EVO in Denver who could tell you it's worth the hassle.

JUST WOW! I hope you do work on 01 cobras to because my car needs major work!
PM SENT

I work on anything that has rods and pistons swinging around a crankshaft, PM replied.

Looks like nice work! I always really liked the look of his car.

Did you ever get your own car done? Didn't you have a thread on the corral ages ago where you were doing all sorts of frame work on it?

Customers like this are exactly why that's still sitting (and, I'll admit, some of my own laziness...mechanics don't exactly want to go home and work on their own junk). Looking into a new house soon that will move the Cobra within five minutes of my house and work, so maybe a winter wrap up.

Awesome thread, this is the level of detail that should go into every Cobra build. :beer:

Thanks.

UPDATED 11/11:

Some eye candy for today - no word from the engine builder, but BoneHead Performance finished these up! Check them out, free plug for a nice kid and his dad running a really legit, clean shop.

100_4835.jpg

100_4836.jpg

100_4837.jpg

100_4838.jpg

100_4839.jpg

Added this to the original posts for first time viewers.

Last edited:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Awsome build, Its nice to see the attention to detail. I know how you feel seeing things that arent right and needing to fix them.

bottlefed97

Established Member
I've always like that car, seen it many times on SN95forums.

Gorgeous build, Mike's going to be very pleased!

95PGTTech

Established Member
Awsome build, Its nice to see the attention to detail. I know how you feel seeing things that arent right and needing to fix them.

Thanks. Pointing out some of the flaws in the car and installations isn't meant to be cheap shots at Mike or anything; I have the time and ability to take it to another level, therefore I feel obligated to. His love for the car is evidenced by the paint/body condition and cleanliness.

UPDATE 11/14:

Got some more done this weekend just killing time really, the weekend was ended by running out of C-25. The motor was due 11/5, then delayed to 11/10. Now I am told "sometime next week." Damn Lorenzo, you do great work, but you sure drag shit out.

Been trying to figure out a way to get the powerboost lines that need replacing to look a little better. I came up with this steel wool/flat black setup. Any opinions?
100_4840.jpg

100_4841.jpg

100_4843.jpg

You know nothing good is happening when this is the view under the car :lol1: Got to work making the new lower intercooler mounts.
100_4844.jpg

How it worked in my head was take some 1/2" all thread, weld to radiator support, use torch to bend the front part straight, install.
100_4847.jpg

Unfortunately, my dumb ass fully welded a test fit instead of tacking it like I should have and found out that moved the intercooler a good inch up from where I wanted it. So chop the all thread and reweld it where I needed it. UGLY!
100_4848.jpg

Solution! Should provide some pretty decent ground protection too.
100_4849.jpg

100_4852.jpg

100_4853.jpg

Not too shabby.
100_4851.jpg

Finished up welding the other one. My welding can still use some work, good thing I'm handy with a grinder.
100_4863.jpg

The intercooler now hangs from just the bottom mounts for the first time (this is important in terms of now the crash beam can be installed or uninstalled separately from the intercooler).
100_4865.jpg

A keen eye would spot the other progress in that photo, at left. Remember how the intercooler outlet pointed right at that crash beam mount? This is where I ran out of gas, so I hit it with some paint quick to keep it from rusting. I plan on replacing it with a single piece that is both intercooler pipe and crash beam mount.
100_4864.jpg

100_4868.jpg

In case you are wondering, the now lightened crash beam has no problem just mounting with just the right (driver side) mount.
100_4866.jpg

100_4867.jpg

How does the honeycomb delete look? Any opinions keep it or ditch it?
100_4861.jpg

100_4860.jpg

Also replaced that UPR hardware to look more normal.
100_4858.jpg

Tried bolting my 98 fan/radiator in as this 96 never had the recall performed. WTF, they are completely different sizes. Being that the bottom mounts are the radiator support itself, are you going to tell me 96-98 Cobras have different radiator supports? The upper mounts are evidently different too.
100_4854.jpg

100_4855.jpg

100_4856.jpg

100_4857.jpg

100_4859.jpg

Added this to the original posts for first time viewers.

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
UPDATED 11/19 and 11/20

STILL waiting on engine. Customer was told Wednesday. I have waited on this guy before for a lot longer than this but I'm just especially impatient this time. I normally just have him do the machining and me do the assembly but wanted to save the BS/timeframe this time around - as it turns out, it would probably be done by now.

Tousley Ford provided the goods - upper intake gasket, lower intake gaskets, IMRC gaskets, upper and lower injector gaskets, crank and cam sensors and o rings, TOB
100_4869.jpg

100_4870.jpg

Began fabricating the new intercooler pipe + passenger side crash beam mount.
100_4871.jpg

Added a few more fender washers to get the intercooler straight. Yes, I do think I have OCD.
100_4872.jpg

A view of how the stock charge pipes were. FAIL.
100_4873.jpg

More fab of the pipe/mount.
100_4874.jpg

Pretty simple setup for the front plate that was the crash beam mount. 1/4" mild steel plate, drill two holes, weld M10x1.5 nuts onto backside for bolts.
100_4875.jpg

First two upper mounts done. Instead of making the first one straight I elected to oxy/acetalene torch it bent to get a really long, good weld on the pipe.
100_4876.jpg

Pipe is now a permanent section of the radiator support.
100_4877.jpg

100_4878.jpg

100_4879.jpg

100_4880.jpg

100_4881.jpg

By some miracle, it even clears the HID ballast mount.
100_4882.jpg

At customers request, repainted the crash beam sensors so they don't look so shitty in the grille. Later Mike, I raise you one better.
100_4883.jpg

100_4884.jpg

Passenger side quad shock was tearing up the dust boot on the main shock absorber. Removed them both. Remember: OCD.
100_4886.jpg

Evidence that the big wheels/tires are rubbing. I'll have to look into that when he brings them by.
100_4887.jpg

100_4888.jpg

Finished the other HID mount.
100_4889.jpg

100_4890.jpg

Mounted the crash sensors into the crash beam instead of the radiator support so you no longer see them in the front bumper. Also mounted the HID wiring harness into and through the crash beam so it is no longer in the engine bay. I can wrap up the main grounds at this point but still need to mount the battery to mount the main power. I am pleased how it turned out, but in the back of my mind "tubular crash beam" still keeps creeping in.
100_4891.jpg

100_4892.jpg

100_4893.jpg

100_4894.jpg

100_4897.jpg

Still just dragging it out with little details at this point. Working on it Friday/Saturday is really just a matter of security, getting it inside the building over weekends.

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
Yes. New mounts were included in the TSB.

That TSB was before my time. So what did they have you do...drill the rivets out of the ones in the car and re-rivet the new ones? Or was it some sort of adapter that attaches to the existing units?

Have the TSB number by any chance? I still have my OASIS.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
subing... Cant believe Mike hasnt posted anything yet...

Chris's work speaks for itself. The reason i haven't posted is because Chris and I speak on the phone almost every other day about updates on the car.My expectation so far have already exceeded their limit.I dropped the car off with expectations of a simple motor swap.Not only will i no that car is built 100% correctly but i have also made a great friend as well.

Car will be F1A'd by spring,be ready Chris:rockon:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Chris's work speaks for itself. The reason i haven't posted is because Chris and I speak on the phone almost every other day about updates on the car.My expectation so far have already exceeded their limit.I dropped the car off with expectations of a simple motor swap.Not only will i no that car is built 100% correctly but i have also made a great friend as well.

And that is what this hobby is all about. :beer: :rockon:

95PGTTech

Established Member

:D Thanks Mike.

I fixed the last picture in the 19th/20th update. I'm going to try a little different solution to the power steering cooler so I hope this is the finalized view of the grille.

A before/after...

100_4719.jpg

100_4897.jpg

harvboi05

Established Member
whats are the plans for the motor, rebuilding or buying a built short block?

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
whats are the plans for the motor, rebuilding or buying a built short block?

Motor should be done this week. Fully built short block .20 over teskid 9.1, Manley blower pistons and Manley connecting rods,Manley valve springs,ARP hardware ect. Motor is being built for boost!

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
should be nasty with the f1 please actually spin the blower hard. i feel like so many times i see some nice build ups with f1s and people are just running such low boost and never run them where they shine.

the build quality looks 2nd to none, great attention to detail.

Users who are viewing this thread