1999 cobra blow really bad smoke an smells like rotten eggs..

tborg

Established Member
Is vmp an good place to have car tuned they were very friendly as for the time they gave me maybe it did have something to do with the motor going bad maybe not who k own.. I found a place that will pull the motor rebuild it with 03 cobra pistons an put the motor back in for 5000 is that. Good deal??? I would do it myself but don’t have the room to do the work..

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
VMP is a well know, knowledgeable and friendly group of guys/gals. While I've never had a tune by them, I've had pulleys and their blowers on my cars and they make quality stuff. They've been around for a while. What did your new tune consist of? Was it to make more power or were you having issues before that you wanted to straighten out? Call them next week and tell them what happened. I don't see why they wouldn't try and help you figure out what happened.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is vmp an good place to have car tuned they were very friendly as for the time they gave me maybe it did have something to do with the motor going bad maybe not who k own.. I found a place that will pull the motor rebuild it with 03 cobra pistons an put the motor back in for 5000 is that. Good deal??? I would do it myself but don’t have the room to do the work..
That's a rip off IMO. There are so many better options out there than the terminator pistons. Not to mention you'd need rods as well.

I just skimmed the thread. It sounds like your new tune was extremely rich and overloaded the cats. Did you try to do a WOT on the first revision?

tborg

Established Member
Yes this all happen about my first data log at wot open.. no didn’t have any problems with before time from
Vmp. The only reason why I wanted to update the tune is because I brought the car an it had a tuner chip in the ecu so I wanted a tune that I knew what was on it.. Really sucks I don’t want any crazy horsepower o well I guess lol

tborg

Established Member
Everything felt great on the wot pull car was running amazing no smoke nothing until after wot pull then smoke at idle an it just got worse to the point it fouled the plugs installed new plugs an the miss when away but smoke hasn’t..

tborg

Established Member
Just finished up the whole compression test every cylinder except for number four have 150 psi. Cylinder four has about 60 PSI I put a barrel scope down the cylinder and it’s caked in oil.So it’s probably an oil ring that broke

Users who are viewing this thread