1999 Cobra, 53k Miles, Need Bottom End -- Opinions?

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
Well, it looks like the worst might have happened. I was driving home in traffic (Los Angeles) on Friday and heard a bad knocking sound from the engine. I pulled over and noticed I was about 4 quarts down on oil. Topped it off, and still a bad knocking sound. It looks like I was leaking somewhere and messed up the bottom end.

My question is, should I get an MMR 5.0 shortblock or go with the 4.6 and maybe an s/c or turbo? I have been out of the Mustang community for many years, mainly focusing on my business, and would like the board member's opinions. I want something that is reliable, can be used as a daily driver here in Los Angeles (bad traffic at times) and offers good power. I figure if I'm going to rebuild I might as well add some power.

Another option is to sell the car to a local that is looking for a project car. It has suspension work, seats, etc.

Any opinions? I trust all of you board members and want to make sure I make the best decision, but have been in the dark for the past 4-5 years.

Thank you!!!

-Aaron

01yellercobra

Established Member
Personally I'd go with a stroker. I believe there's no replacement for displacement. I wouldn't go through MMR. But that's just my opinion.

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
i bought my car with a bent rod, i was on a budget so i just repaired it, if i could do it again i would go the birdman route 5.4 swap

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
The 5.0 modular blocks will be becoming more and more available and less expensive. You can put in a stock crank in those blocks and have a 5.0 big bore motor. Or you can put in a stroker crank and have a 5.3 big bore stroker..

I was in a similar situation after a shop improperly installed my built short block and I was left with no cash after spending all my money on the previous rebuild. I went to the junkyard and found a longblock from a lincoln aviator. It's the same exact longblock as the Mach and Mercury Marauder. Picked it up for less than 2 grand, and made a grand in all the parts I sold off it.

While I'd rather have a forged motor, I did what I had to do.. and it's still running great after 50,000 miles. I just need to be careful with the boost.

Homer

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
I appreciate the input!

I just want a good, powerful car that I can have as a daily driver. I've dealt with high HP cars as a daily and it's no fun (as most of you know). I want to keep this build on the conservative side.

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
Spoke to Mark over at MMR today... He was VERY helpful and I'm looking forward to dropping the car off.

I'll let everyone know what I finally decide on and will post pix/videos.

-AS

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
I would stick with the 4.6.

Take it .020 over to clean up the cylinder walls. Put a set of H-Beam rods in it and some CP pistons and call it a day.

The money you will save by doing that rather than a BB or Stroker you can put elsewhere in the car (Heads, Cams, Fuel, Drivetrain, better supercharger/turbo kit, tires, etc...)

I say this as if you were on a budget and wanted the best bang for your buck. If you have money to blow then I would consider a BB or Stroker. But still if your going turbo its hard to overlook how much easier (and cheaper) it is to just turn the boost up to make more power rather than spend 1-3 grand more for a BB or Stroker.

Last edited:

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
I would stick with the 4.6.

Take it .020 over to clean up the cylinder walls. Put a set of H-Beam rods in it and some CP pistons and call it a day.

The money you will save by doing that rather than a BB or Stroker you can put elsewhere in the car (Heads, Cams, Fuel, Drivetrain, better supercharger/turbo kit, tires, etc...)

I say this as if you were on a budget and wanted the best bang for your buck. If you have money to blow then I would consider a BB or Stroker. But still if your going turbo its hard to overlook how much easier (and cheaper) it is to just turn the boost up to make more power rather than spend 1-3 grand more for a BB or Stroker.

Thank you for the post!! :beer:

This info helps a lot. I've been sorta out of touch and off the boards for a few years now, so I'm not up-to-speed on everything (new findings, parts, etc.). Tips from board members really helps.

I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck and I do agree on the FI route. I would like to find a cost-effective way to swing it, but don't want to put much more into the car. I've been investing in a few other things including my twin turbo Vespa scooter (no, jk).

Part of my business deals with the European performance cars and I love being the one to show up to shows/meets with a Cobra. Due to this, something inside is telling me to go all out again to represent everyone on the SVTP board lol. Hmmmm.... Time will tell.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread