1997 Mark Martin Valvoline Winston Cup Taurus

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Totally, this weekend I'm driving 5 totally different cars. Craziest will be the Ariel Atom 3.5R. Will be my first time in that one and those cars are crazy even with the normal Honda K24

That'll be neat. They make for great track cars. I have a guy local to me that has a twin turbo Atom 3. It's like 550rwhp or something. Absolutely terrifying on the street.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Hm. Where can I buy a F1000?

Also, is this your car?

That'll be neat. They make for great track cars. I have a guy local to me that has a twin turbo Atom 3. It's like 550rwhp or something. Absolutely terrifying on the street.
Couple guys in my neighborhood got Atoms last year. Looked wild. Think they may have gotten rid of them after pant shitting.

blk02edge

Established Member
Atoms are actually terrible cars. Handling characteristics of an 80's Porsche.

But... they are soooo fun, even at 15 seconds a lap slower than my F1000

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Atoms are actually terrible cars. Handling characteristics of an 80's Porsche.

But... they are soooo fun, even at 15 seconds a lap slower than my F1000

Really? I've never driven one on track, just on the street. They feel fairly balanced? What makes them terrible?

blk02edge

Established Member
Really? I've never driven one on track, just on the street. They feel fairly balanced? What makes them terrible?
Massive throttle off snap oversteer. I'm sure they are fine on street tires driven "normally" on the road but at 10/10ths on slicks they are sketchy AF

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
If you want a Cup car, this one comes from a better looking era:

Heck Yeah!

Back when cars could be sponsored by products not good for you!

Last edited:

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Those were the last good looking stock cars imo.

Cousin "It"

Established Member

That was my favorite rules package: stock steel hood panel, stock steel roof panel, stock decklid, fiberglass nose with an air dam valence, small spoiler, and frame rail measured ride height rules. The old school way of preventing too much body manipulation was that a factory Thunderbird/Lumina windshield had to fit and seal in place to pass tech.

Fun fact: Compression ratios were unregulated in 90's Winston Cup. Rumor is that Robert Yates was running 500+ miles over 18:1 naturally aspirated.

I'm a sucker for the lines of the big Montes, SS Montes, and little Luminas (and secretly the 87-88 Thunderbird).

1650474138647.jpeg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That was my favorite rules package: stock steel hood panel, stock steel roof panel, stock decklid, fiberglass nose with an air dam valence, small spoiler, and frame rail measured ride height rules. The old school way of preventing too much body manipulation was that a factory Thunderbird/Lumina windshield had to fit and seal in place to pass tech.

Fun fact: Compression ratios were unregulated in 90's Winston Cup. Rumor is that Robert Yates was running 500+ miles over 18:1 naturally aspirated.

I'm a sucker for the lines of the big Montes, SS Montes, and little Luminas (and secretly the 87-88 Thunderbird).

View attachment 1746098

Ever had a Black Label Beer?

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

View attachment 1746098

I liked just about everything from the mid to late '80's era. I was too young to catch the '70's racing.
bill.jpg
dale.jpg

Cousin "It"

Established Member

My, oh my. The always beautiful Lumina never fails to pull on my nostalgic heartstrings. The default image in my brain for the word "racecar" is a 1990 Winston Cup Lumina.

"I'm settin' you up for cool weather... but if that sun breaks, after you're out on the track, you're liable to run real loose real quick. Now I don't wanna worry you or nothin, but, Cole's not ready for that... he's changed, see, he's changed. You cannot get out of control and expect him to bring you right back. He's liable to hurt you, you're liable to hurt him, and... I couldn't handle that, so, ah, you've gotta take care of him... see... you gotta take care of him."

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
My, oh my. The always beautiful Lumina never fails to pull on my nostalgic heartstrings. The default image in my brain for the word "racecar" is a 1990 Winston Cup Lumina.

"I'm settin' you up for cool weather... but if that sun breaks, after you're out on the track, you're liable to run real loose real quick. Now I don't wanna worry you or nothin, but, Cole's not ready for that... he's changed, see, he's changed. You cannot get out of control and expect him to bring you right back. He's liable to hurt you, you're liable to hurt him, and... I couldn't handle that, so, ah, you've gotta take care of him... see... you gotta take care of him."

Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights are both fantastic summaries of both the 80's vs 2000s and the changes in our society, Hollywood and even NASCAR.

DoT was a tribute that celebrated the sport, it's heritage and respected the audience and fans.

TN, while funny, was a deconstruction that made fun of the sport, fans and highlighted what a clown world everything has become.

Really highlights the cultural difference. 1980's we celibrated our values and culture. Today we shit all over it and make fun of it.

NASCrap today is a SJW clown show short of WWE antics willing to suck whatever woke dick to get commercial sponsorship and money.

Cousin "It"

Established Member

Another beautiful Thunderchicken is up for sale boys. This time is vintage Busch Series flavor in a NAPA wrapper. The 105" chassis is shorter and lighter than Winston Cup's 110" chassis.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Another beautiful Thunderchicken is up for sale boys. This time is vintage Busch Series flavor in a NAPA wrapper. The 105" chassis is shorter and lighter than Winston Cup's 110" chassis.

Shouldn’t that vintage have been powered by an SVO V6, or it that close to the change over year?

Users who are viewing this thread