1995 R fuel cell option #2

comprepsvo

Established Member
I thought I would update this post. Got the tank out, and it will be on its way to Glen this week. He said he would get back to me once there. They are moving to a new location, and it would take just a little extra time since they have to set all of the equipment back up. But once I hear back on cost and turn around time I will update everyone.

Ben

comprepsvo

Established Member
Ok guys here is the latest and it is not good. Talked to Glenn's today. Still setting up in the new building but they looked at my Fuel Safe shell. It is so badly made with overlapping joints and weld splatter that he says they cannot CAD it. So right my two options are to put in one of their 99-03 GT tank or to see if one my fellow 00 R owners has a spare shell to see if it is of better made than mine. Anybody got one that we could use? I will pay for shipping once we have Glenn look at it's photos to see if it is of a better quality . Thanks guys. He has no reservations about making one.

svtguy

Established Member
I've got an extra original 00R fuel safe fuel cell. I'll get some pics of it.

Paul.

comprepsvo

Established Member
I've got an extra original 00R fuel safe fuel cell. I'll get some pics of it.

Paul.
Paul that would be awesome. Close ups of the joints and. Seams is of particular interest. If Glenn agrees your tank is good for CAD if we can ship to him then we are in business. Thank you!

svtguy

Established Member
Thanks Paul looks like it has the heavy welds with some rough looking. I will. Get with Glenn and see if he could get a template off yours . Thank you for the photos and your time
Ben

Any update on this.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
There is an old post comparing the two cells. From memory, the 00 cell had a 45 degree angle at the forward edge to clear the IRS. Otherwise, it was the same.

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Hey Jeremy,

Welcome to the forum!

I also have one on order. I believe I ordered about the same time as you. I will let you know when mine arrives. Keep me informed if yours shows up as well.

I also spoke to Glenn about the notch on the back, top on the driver's side. He said that is now standard with their fabrication process. And, the tank uses the 03-04 Terminator Tank Pick-Up design.

Tom

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Hey Jeremy,

Welcome to the forum!

I also have one on order. I believe I ordered about the same time as you. I will let you know when mine arrives. Keep me informed if yours shows up as well.

I also spoke to Glenn about the notch on the back, top on the driver's side. He said that is now standard with their fabrication process. And, the tank uses the 03-04 Terminator Tank Pick-Up design.

Tom

I received mine last month. You are correct that the tank now Has the notch and the 03/04 pick-up design. I also got the recommended fuel sock for the pump from him. I can gladly post up a picture and part number if people want it.

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
I ran a stock Mustang fuel tank on my 1995 Cobra R for a few months. It cost me $20 from a seller on Craigslist. It functioned fine but every now and then I would run into the enthusiast who would look for the fuel cell to validate that it was a real Cobra R. Then I would have to explain, blah, blah, blah.

Recently I installed a custom made fuel tank from Glenns Performance. I sent them my fuel cell and they used its dimensions for the fuel tank. The tank includes a fuel sump with custom anti siphoning feed tube to prevent running the sump dry. I used my stock Cobra R fuel cell straps, filler, sending unit, pump, etc. For gaskets I traced the accessories and mounting rings onto a sheet of 1/16 inch gasket then cut them out. I used ¼ inch this rubber matting cut to size as my padding between the tank and body. Once installed it would be very difficult to distinguish between the fuel cell and custom fuel tank. The tank was $669 and should last for the life of the car.
I ran a stock Mustang fuel tank on my 1995 Cobra R for a few months. It cost me $20 from a seller on Craigslist. It functioned fine but every now and then I would run into the enthusiast who would look for the fuel cell to validate that it was a real Cobra R. Then I would have to explain, blah, blah, blah.

Recently I installed a custom made fuel tank from Glenns Performance. I sent them my fuel cell and they used its dimensions for the fuel tank. The tank includes a fuel sump with custom anti siphoning feed tube to prevent running the sump dry. I used my stock Cobra R fuel cell straps, filler, sending unit, pump, etc. For gaskets I traced the accessories and mounting rings onto a sheet of 1/16 inch gasket then cut them out. I used ¼ inch this rubber matting cut to size as my padding between the tank and body. Once installed it would be very difficult to distinguish between the fuel cell and custom fuel tank. The tank was $669 and should last for the life of the car.

I got a "fake" fuel cell from Glenn's Performance also. Mine wasn't leaking, I thought it'll be only a matter of time and was being proactive. Turns out, the bladder was just fine and even the foam looked new. I'm guessing it's the 10% ethanol that's creating the leaks. Mine's been in storage for 12 years and I'm pretty sure it's never had any gas with ethanol. I used it mostly for open track events and an occasional show. I'll be doing some open track events again next year.

TFStang

Established Member
Ethanol does a number on many components that fuel passes through. Definitely don't want that stuff just sitting in your car.

Cobramustang1993

Established Member
I thought I would update this post. Got the tank out, and it will be on its way to Glen this week. He said he would get back to me once there. They are moving to a new location, and it would take just a little extra time since they have to set all of the equipment back up. But once I hear back on cost and turn around time I will update everyone.

Ben

Cobramustang1993

Established Member

Ben

Cobramustang1993

Established Member
Got in the new tank from Glenns Performance....and noticed a notch on upper edge that lines up with driver"s side strap mount on underbody...My 95R (#67) DID NOT have the notch...Evidently the notch may have been a running change to clear the bracket assy...In either case, the notch does not affect the install....

Users who are viewing this thread