1995 R fuel cell option #2

NiceMustang

Established Member
R Cell

Here is the pic off Glenn's site. The tank is perfect except for this notch. Even in his pictures there isn't a notch which leads me to believe that none of them came with one...but if that's the case then everyone should have had this same issue that I've run into.
RTanksGlenns_zps13bd56c7.jpg

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
Looks like to me that's the answer to everyone's leaking fuel cell and the price is right.....

Hey Doc, That dam R looks a lot better sitting out in the sunlight than it did stuffed in the back of my building for all those years......:poke:

brianz426

Established Member
My replacement tank is in the box as a back up for when my current cell begins to leak. Give me a day or two and I'll get it out and take a look.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
That dam R looks a lot better sitting out in the sunlight than it did stuffed in the back of my building for all those years......:poke:
We drove it once.

My replacement tank is in the box as a back up for when my current cell begins to leak. Give me a day or two and I'll get it out and take a look.
Pictures?

Like Gary said, it was stuck back in his shop for several years.

Now that has changed. It gets to ride with other vintage cars.
1995Ra.jpg

I have to drive the north Georgia mountains now:
SixGapRG.gif

The handling is perfect. I like timing the apex to use the torque to beat every car on this Six Gap ride. I time the pass just right to use the torque to pass them.

Actually, the club may ban all 1995 Cobra R's in the future. it happens.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Darn..... Puddle of gas on the floor under the 95..... Ordered Glenn's option this week.

brianz426

Established Member
20140320_213126.jpg
Thanks for the reply. Here is a picture of the notch in the original cell.

Without this notch, the tank effectively sites lower by a half inch, and more towards the front of the car by an inch or so. But with that offset the original strap doesn't fit effectively being a half inch sort on the back where it hooks up to the mounting bracket with the pivot pin.
20140320_213126_zps7547f6b0.jpg

20140320_213126.jpg

Sorry for the delayed response. Finally got to my replacement tank from Glenn, it does not have the notch pictured above. Mine looks just like the one pictured in post #21.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I just went on another 6-Gap ride (see above).

My car may no longer have a proper fuel cell, but it is really good in the mountains. I had to pull over and wait for the other cars. :rolleyes:

I did find a little vibration in the tires. I looked back on my notes. I bought and installed the current Dunlap tires from my local Ford dealer in November 2004. :dw: Those were installed on a set of new 95 Cobra R wheels ($205 each).

I also bought four of the original BFG original tires in October of 2004 (never mounted, still with stickers). I still have the original wheels and tires.

You can add it up. I have four original wheels and tires from the factory, four perfect replacements, and four Dunlaps with four Ford wheels. The car has 9000 mostly easy miles on it.

It's going to be driven more and harder. It's 19 year vacation is over.

1995Rb.jpg

95RChamp.jpg

NiceMustang

Established Member
Darn..... Puddle of gas on the floor under the 95..... Ordered Glenn's option this week.

The swap was pretty easy. Ordered all new harness, pump, and filter from American Muscle and glad I freshened them up.

I would again warn you that the tanks do NOT have the proper indent on the drivers side, so they don't naturally fit. No one can determine how that happened at Glenn's. That said, I just put some extra padding on the floor brace and tightened it down. The tank fits crooked now (it is lower on the drivers side since it can not go up all the way). I'm planning on putting a small wedge between the tank and the floor on the passenger side to even it out. The only effect is aesthetics, so if you're not anal about it you'll be fine. If you are, like me, its an easy fix. The other option is to have a new strap made OR ask Glenn to make that cut out before he sends it to you. He offered to correct mine but I didn't catch it until after powder coating.

By the way...I drove the R to Charlotte from MN for the 50th and got track time with it. What a hoot! Drove the Dragon's Tail in NC mountains on the way back as well. Fantastic once in a life time event for us.

brianz426

Established Member
The swap was pretty easy. Ordered all new harness, pump, and filter from American Muscle and glad I freshened them up.

I would again warn you that the tanks do NOT have the proper indent on the drivers side, so they don't naturally fit. No one can determine how that happened at Glenn's. That said, I just put some extra padding on the floor brace and tightened it down. The tank fits crooked now (it is lower on the drivers side since it can not go up all the way). I'm planning on putting a small wedge between the tank and the floor on the passenger side to even it out. The only effect is aesthetics, so if you're not anal about it you'll be fine. If you are, like me, its an easy fix. The other option is to have a new strap made OR ask Glenn to make that cut out before he sends it to you. He offered to correct mine but I didn't catch it until after powder coating.

By the way...I drove the R to Charlotte from MN for the 50th and got track time with it. What a hoot! Drove the Dragon's Tail in NC mountains on the way back as well. Fantastic once in a life time event for us.

My tank is still new in the box. Did Glenn make this offer to correct your tank recently? Mine has not been powder coated yet so I might as well send it back to him now. I guess if I take pictures with measurements he'll get it in the right spot. Was he going to charge you for the correction?
Thanks

NiceMustang

Established Member
My tank is still new in the box. Did Glenn make this offer to correct your tank recently? Mine has not been powder coated yet so I might as well send it back to him now. I guess if I take pictures with measurements he'll get it in the right spot. Was he going to charge you for the correction?
Thanks

It was just a phone call vs a written commitment, but he did say that he'd ensure he made it right (the transaction). Really happy with that side of things. It was in Feb/Mar or so this year when we talked. I don't think it would be that hard of a fix but it would be a hassle to return and get it again. That said, I'd do it that way if I had noticed earlier and had the time. We were crunched getting ready for Charlotte.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
They are available on e-bay for less than $10.00ea.

I paid about $27K for my three stickers. I also got a 1997 Cobra. It was a great car. :-D

I sold it in a weak moment after about 45K miles. I wish I had it back. The 2nd owner called me and wanted to know where the engine sticker was or did I rip him off with a fake Cobra (he had the Ford Cobra certificate)?

"No, I removed it from the valve cover and placed it in the owner's manual when it was new. You should look at it." With sticker:

f3611afaf7644ed380ed782486289615.gif

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
The !995 Cobra R is running well.

I love the Tremec TR-3550 transmission. The 3:27 LS rear gear is perfect. Today's spirited drive showed it to be a great handling car. 90+ degrees? No problem.

Nonetheless, I now have to park it outside. It will see rain for the first time. I do not suspect any rust on the hood. :)

95Rc.gif

95Rb-1.gif

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
So why are you punishing it?

Tom,
I am not punishing it. :-D It will store well where it is for now. That 11 year old F350 has been parked there since new and can still clean up well.

Porsche? The market seems to be all over the old ones. I paid the same thing for the older Porsche as I did for the Cobra R well over 12 years ago.

73RSt.jpg

You can guess which one has more than doubled in value. My friend Dickson bought a nice 1966 Shelby GT350 around the same time. It has tripled in value.

It seems that my old guns have also done well in the last ~12 years. I'd say quadruple.

Tom, I am a 95R guy. :read: I'll be keeping the non-stock fuel tank #113 in good condition. I still have a good data base of Cobra 95 R's.

I'll be keeping mine.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
It was sort of medium cool in temperatures early this morning.

If you haven't driven one lately, you should. This car likes to start with about 32 lbs. in all tires. I checked, and the fronts go to about 36 lbs. and the rears 34 when warmed up. This is the street so I'd call it moderate conditions.

The car felt really good. It has a bit of understeer (which is better than oversteer). It was a great session and now parked back at home. It needs absolutely nothing as far as modifications. It is a few miles away from 10,000 on the odometer.

95CobraR2.gif

95CobraR1.gif

blubyu90

Established Member
It was sort of medium cool in temperatures early this morning.

If you haven't driven one lately, you should. This car likes to start with about 32 lbs. in all tires. I checked, and the fronts go to about 36 lbs. and the rears 34 when warmed up. This is the street so I'd call it moderate conditions.

The car felt really good. It has a bit of understeer (which is better than oversteer). It was a great session and now parked back at home. It needs absolutely nothing as far as modifications. It is a few miles away from 10,000 on the odometer.

I want one of these so bad!!! Is there any possible way I can convince you to give me a ride???:dancenana: I will pay for the gas!! Haha. It's awesome that you're enjoying it like it should be enjoyed!!

Users who are viewing this thread