1995 R fuel cell option #2

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
I had my tank from Glenn's Performance powder coated so it is indistinguishable from the original. Only way you can tell is if you crawl underneath and look for the Fuel Safe tag. I don't recall if there are baffles in the new tank so it doesn't slosh all around.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
What did you all use for a gasket or sealer for the pickup, float, etc.

Glenn told me he just uses silicone and bolts everything together. Not sure what I think of no gasket.

Tom

nmp1

Established Member
someone posted a while back that he will not being doing them as they are much more complex than the 95 cell

UKCobra

Established Member
I have posted another thread about my puddle and fuel smell. How do I get hold of a replacement tank from Glenn ? I could not see any web links. I have the added complexity that I am in the UK :)

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
I have posted another thread about my puddle and fuel smell. How do I get hold of a replacement tank from Glenn ? I could not see any web links. I have the added complexity that I am in the UK :)
Here's a link to the website. http://www.glennsperformance.com/product_info.php?cPath=79&products_id=250
I bought one myself. Had it powder coated and you can't tell the difference. Does your fuel over in the UK use an ethanol blend? My fuel cell never leaked and when I pulled it out, even the foam still looked new. I was just being proactive thinking mine would eventually leak. Since mine never had an ethanol blend fuel in it, I was thinking perhaps the ethanol was causing the bladder to deteriorate and leak.

UKCobra

Established Member
I think we have a little ethanol, but something is leaking. And given how many people here report a smell of fuel and a small puddle, I am guessing I am joining the time to replace the tank group :)
Earlier the google searches would not link to the Glennsperformance site, but now does. I am waiting on an answer if they will ship one to the UK.

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
I think we have a little ethanol, but something is leaking. And given how many people here report a smell of fuel and a small puddle, I am guessing I am joining the time to replace the tank group :)
Earlier the google searches would not link to the Glennsperformance site, but now does. I am waiting on an answer if they will ship one to the UK.
I don't know if the Glenn's Performance tank has baffles, maybe you could ask them and post what they say. Good luck with it.
Maybe you remember me, you called me around 1999 about a letter I wrote to Mustang Monthly. We corresponded a bit, I sent you some SVTOA hats and you sent me a UK Mustang club key chain and hat pin.
I'm actually selling my R. I haven't done any track day events in many years and when I did one just this past summer, I pretty much lost my groove.

UKCobra

Established Member
Yes Mike I remember you, we have the pair of 95 R and Pace Car combo !
I will buy the tank as I suspect it is the only answer to my problem, and avoids it happening again.
I don't drive the Cobra R much. It goes for its annual test, which is a 40 mile round trip and then gets put away. I should drive it more, and I cannot think of selling it, because it is such fun to drive and I know as soon as I sell it, I will regret it.
I have modified the Pace Car this year, with lowered springs and new shocks, and a better sounding exhaust.
The R will not get a new exhaust, as I do want to keep it as stock as I can.

Last edited:

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Yes Mike I remember you, we have the pair of 95 R and Pace Car combo !
I will buy the tank as I suspect it is the only answer to my problem, and avoids it happening again.
I don't drive the Cobra R. It goes for its annual test, which is a 40 mile round trip and then gets put away. I should drive it more, and I cannot think of selling it, because it is such fun to drive.
I have modified the Pace Car this year, with lowered springs and new shocks, and a better sounding exhaust.
The R will not get a new exhaust, as I do want to keep it as stock as I can.
I put H&R lowering springs in the Pace Car, a light bar and the "MUSTANG" visor sticker just like the real pace car. In the R, I put in a roll bar, Baer front brakes, cooling ducts and long tube headers. I haven't pursued selling the R, just talked about it to a few people, but come this Spring, I'll probably put an ad in Hemmings. If I don't get the money I'm asking, I'll hang on to it. The '95 R doesn't really have mass appeal. Any mid-years model Mustangs for that matter. Even the 2005 and up Mustangs are not as popular since the Coyote engine came out in 2011.

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Pace with H&R springs.jpg
Mark, here's a picture of the Pace Car at a vintage gas station up in Canada. I put the Cobra R wheels on it many years ago. I like them better than the stock wheels, which I kept of course.

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Very nice old cars.
Is this Doc in Atlanta? I see you got a '19 GT350. I've got a '17 and one of the changes I see they made in the '19 is a fix in the suspension so that it doesn't follow deviations in the road. Like the ones that heavy trucks make when you come up to a street light. You really have to hang on to the steering wheel at times in mine.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I don't know if the Glenn's Performance tank has baffles, maybe you could ask them and post what they say. Good luck with it.

The tank is completely open with a cage around the fuel pump. I did ask specifically if they would add baffles and they said NO. The alternative would be foam like the original cell.

Tom

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Dropped an email/contact form to Glennsperformance. Waiting on a response. Will give it a few days. I am so glad there is a better longer term solution to this problem. :)
If you don't have a place to get it powder coated, you can just paint it gloss black and it will pretty much look stock. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I am. I've had a couple cars with fuel tank leaks in my younger days. I was always worried about a stray cigarette butt or something!

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Mark, I called and spoke with Glenn himself. He said he saw your email, but didn't say if he replied. He also said that he's always had problems shipping overseas and didn't want to do it. However, if you can arrange the shipping, he would be willing to send you one. If you need help making arrangements, I can help you out if you like. It might be difficult for you communicating back and forth. I don't know if you still come over here periodically. His address is:
Glenn's Performance
2398 Omaha Drive
Kingman, AZ 86401
Phone: (928) 415-0651

UKCobra

Established Member
Firstly, thanks to this community for offering help . You all rock !
Mike and others have engaged to try and resolve this, which I really appreciate.
Arranging shipping from the UK to the US, for an item that has not been produced, is pretty much mission impossible and likely to go badly wrong !
I don't regularly travel to the US for work anymore, so not that easy to co-ordinate a delivery with a work trip.
Glenn has not responded to me on either of the issues I emailed him about, and I get that overseas shipping is a challenge.
I have a solution, which is to use a regular Mustang Parts supplier who combines shipping in a container. This will probably add $200 to the total bill and add another 2 months to the delivery.
Thanks to Mike for calling, it looks like I need to get my shipping agent involved and then give Glenn a telephone call.
I will keep you guys informed.
Best Wishes
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread