1994 Cobra SVT build #'s 0001-0012 - where are they?

Cobra Jet

Established Member
I have been researching the various Indy 500 Pace Cars for an upcoming book and have access to a law enforcement/insurance database to find info on cars. For the years 1990 to date I have most of the VINs of the cars used at the track as Festival or Track cars, as well as those sent to dealers. There were assignment sheets each year to show to whom a specific car was assigned. I would love to find the 1994 sheet, though I do have the information. Ford sent Mustang GTs (NOT Cobras) to Roush to convert to be used as Pace Cars, mainly because they were automatic shift. These had the Cobra bumpers installed for the race. Over 100 Mustang GTs were used as Festival and Track cars for the race period-there were no Cobras at the track as far as I can tell.

I have been able to compile the VIN and Build info as well as the Cobra number of 976 out of the 1000 Cobra converts made. The first two cars were made March 4 (#4 and #5) while cars #1, 2, 6 were made March 5. Twenty cars were made March 7, Twenty Four on March 8, with the last group made April 16. I am missing the last six of the VIN for the following cars:

Anyone have any info on these? I just need the last six digits of the VIN and I may be able to locate the rest of them. Thanks

@tbenvie
I had to reread your initial post quoted above…

My 1994 Cobra coupe was built March 4, 1994 per the SVT Certificate and it’s build is #13. I find it interesting that you’re saying SVT Pace Cars #4 and #5 were also built on same day. Do you happen to know if either of those Pace Cars still exist today? The lowest build # I had in my list of 1994 Cobras (aside from mine) is Pace Car #8, which is still in existence today.

What I find even more interesting is that my Cobra’s BUC tag has Mo/Day stamped on it as 01/24 and the VCL on B-pillar is also 01/94. I can’t figure out the correlation being the SVT cert is 03/04/1994…. Is the date on BUC and VCL the date the VIN was actually issued (birthed) and the car was built on 03/04/94?

Also, how were you able to compile the Pace Car listing with the SVT #’s to the VINs? Do you have any such matches for the coupes?

——
Here’s some info for others regarding the (122) 1994 “GT” Pace Cars (not many folks are aware of these unique Mustangs). There were also (5) 1994 PPG Pace Cars - extremely rare today.

PPG Pace Car info:
Ford Mustang Cobra (Red) – 1994 PPG Pace Car – PPG Pace Cars

tbenvie

Established Member
I am researching the Pace Cars of all years so do not have the coupe info. I do have all the info on the 127 Mustang GTs used at the track-the five prepared actual Pace Cars were also Mustang GTs. There is a total of 1000 Cobra converts plus the Mustang GTs not 1000 to include both GTs and Cobras like the article states. The lettering on the GTs and Cobras were different as well, one was white, the other silver.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Is there an actual VIN registry that someone can access? I have seen people compile them but not share them
Agree with the Pace Car counts (PPG vs actual 94 Pace Cars) in article - that is definitely not correct. I was just supplying the link for others to gain knowledge as an “FYI” regarding the PPG info…

As far as an actual SN95 Cobra registry, there is absolutely none that I am aware of and I think we are probably the only compilers of the 1994 Cobra data. I know over on a Corral.net they had a thread going years ago in the SN95 sub-forum that was started by another member and it was only a starting point, but nothing ever came of it…. I was part of that, but as I said, that fizzled out. It also was not just 94’s, it was 94-95’s and no actual online database or registry.

I can’t tell you how many avenues I have used and how many folks in the Mustang hobby I have contacted in my last 18 years of ownership to try and get more info about the 1994 Cobras… to no avail. I have dealt with Mark @Performance Autosport, Jim@PPI, Bob Lyons of the original 1993 Cobra site, Rick the owner of National Parts Depot as he has a very large Ford collection and connections, numerous websites where I have posted the same as here - such as the specialty forums where folks there are “in the know”, such as all SSP sites, all SVO sites and all Saleen sites….even hit up the Concours Mustang site, the Classic Mustang websites, the SN95 forum, etc…you name it, I’ve done it trying to get info… and each time I dead end. I even reached out to Ford years ago and the Rep who responded didn’t understand what I was seeking and circled me back to “getting an SVT Certificate”… which wasn’t what I needed at all…. Even back when the actual Ford SVT site was up I reached out there and again was redirected to getting an SVT Certificate.

All I can say is, the SN95 Cobras are not as easy to get info on like the 1993’s.

If you want to join forces and put our compilations of data together, maybe we could get something going…

I’m as surprised too that no one on this site has deeper connections to anyone in Ford who can help us.

I was recommended to go to Kevin Marti to get the Marti Report, but in all honesty, I don’t think a Marti report will benefit ME, only because I already know all of the data that would be on it, which is posted in this and other threads… unless someone can enlighten me as to what may be on it that I don’t already know?? I can’t even reach out to Marti to ask a question, because I don’t know of his email and the website is geared towards buying a Marti Report.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Established Member
I have been researching the various Indy 500 Pace Cars for an upcoming book and have access to a law enforcement/insurance database to find info on cars. For the years 1990 to date I have most of the VINs of the cars used at the track as Festival or Track cars, as well as those sent to dealers. There were assignment sheets each year to show to whom a specific car was assigned. I would love to find the 1994 sheet, though I do have the information. Ford sent Mustang GTs (NOT Cobras) to Roush to convert to be used as Pace Cars, mainly because they were automatic shift. These had the Cobra bumpers installed for the race. Over 100 Mustang GTs were used as Festival and Track cars for the race period-there were no Cobras at the track as far as I can tell.

I have been able to compile the VIN and Build info as well as the Cobra number of 976 out of the 1000 Cobra converts made. The first two cars were made March 4 (#4 and #5) while cars #1, 2, 6 were made March 5. Twenty cars were made March 7, Twenty Four on March 8, with the last group made April 16. I am missing the last six of the VIN for the following cars:

Anyone have any info on these? I just need the last six digits of the VIN and I may be able to locate the rest of them. Thanks

Pace Car # 670 = 1FALP45D4RF161219
Pace Car # 697 = 1FALP45D6RF177115

tbenvie

Established Member
Would you have any other VINs for the converts beginning with 177xxx? i did not have that grouping.

While researching the various Pace Cars I have been able to work with a number of places to get info. The Studebaker Museum helped identify the V(Ns of all the 500 festival cars, the actual Pace Cars, and some of the support trucks and cars. They also helped with the '29 Pace Car, and a list of all the VINs of the cars sent to the track for the 1950 race. The Walter P Chrysler Museum helped sort out the five 1941 Chrysler Newport Phaetons and and which one paced the race. I also get the info on every 1996 Viper GTS built, and the Vipers at the track in 1991. The henry Ford Museum and Ford Archives (two different places) helped sort out the 64 Mustang program (the articles on these cars were not very correct at all in what they reported) and helped identify the 1946 Lincoln-and in turn I was able to find the actual car in a collection. Owned since 1973 and the owner had no idea. GM Heritage has not been a whole lot of help yet, and the Speedway Museum has little info. Besides the book the project is to find every single VIN and build info for every Pace Car and Replica as possible. Sounds impossible but there are completed databases of every car 1995-2021, missing a few 94s as mentioned, have all the 93 Camaros. Have all the 92 Allantes and Devilles missing a few Eldorados and Sevilles used. 91 is difficult as the festival cars were Stealths and Shadows and not a big collector base to get info. 1990 have all the Vettes and Camaros at the track, and half the Berettas-have the VINs of all the converted Beretta converts. 71, 73, 78, 82, 84, 86, 89 are complete. When I started looking at 94 I was led to believe the numbers assigned to the cars were both coupes and converts together. I have since found they have different numbers, so there are two #9s for instance. Because I thought they were the same I located a lot of early coupes. Not sure if they are prototypes or actually have a Cobra number assigned. I have reached out to Ford to see if they can confirm. I'll let everyone know about what they say but I just asked today when I realized I had some early coupe VINs.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
"Pace Car # 670 = 1FALP45D4RF161219"

Thanks for these-I have the above as #665-do you have a VIN for 665?

VIN is definite to #670; car was listed on eBay and was in Alameda, CA with 56,300 miles on it at the time.

I don’t have anything for 665.

SVT #662 is a coupe and it’s VIN is the 166xxx series.

The only other I have for the 177xxx is a coupe built on 05/01/94, same date as Pace #697.

The limited 178xxx and 179xxx entries are all coupes in my log.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Would you have any other VINs for the converts beginning with 177xxx? i did not have that grouping.

While researching the various Pace Cars I have been able to work with a number of places to get info…………When I started looking at 94 I was led to believe the numbers assigned to the cars were both coupes and converts together. I have since found they have different numbers, so there are two #9s for instance. Because I thought they were the same I located a lot of early coupes. Not sure if they are prototypes or actually have a Cobra number assigned. I have reached out to Ford to see if they can confirm. I'll let everyone know about what they say but I just asked today when I realized I had some early coupe VINs.
Can you please let me know the info you have regarding the early coupes as you have stated above? I don’t have any 94 SVT coupes earlier than mine and any VIN I have earlier than mine, there’s no hits online anywhere. Also please let me know who you have contacted within Ford (you can PM me here if you don’t want to make it public).

Sorry if my prior response to #662 was misleading… Yes, 1994 SVT Coupe and Pace Car verts could have had had same SVT build #’s because Ford separated the coupe VIN (42D) and the Vert VIN (45D), aside from there being different total production counts for each to total the 6,009 units for 1994.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
UPDATE:

Over the last week or so, I have been in contact with another very cool Mustang Enthusiast. He has relayed to me with confidence, 1994 Cobra Coupe #12 was Crystal White w/Saddle leather. VIN is currently not available and this vehicle may have last been in MA. It is not known today the condition of the vehicle, if it’s still registered or road worthy. It does not confirm at this point in time that my #13 isn’t the lowest surviving SVT Coupe, until #12 comes to the surface. :)

Both 1994 SVT Coupe #12 and Pace Car #12 were owned by this same Enthusiast before being sold 20 years ago.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
So I have another update to my Cobra…

I have been able to contact the prior owner! He’s a very nice gentleman and was nice enough to correspond with me via emails.

He confirmed that he was in fact the original Buyer/Owner of my 94 Cobra. I have always thought I was only the 2nd Owner based on titling info found in VIN reports, as well as the actual “owner” field on my NJ Title. His information has now factually confirmed there has not been any other owners to my Cobra aside from him and me.

He bought the car brand new in June 1994 from Downs Ford here in NJ. He said he was initially there looking for a convertible “but they only had one, in an ugly shade of yellow with an automatic transmission”. He proceeds to say “As I was wandering around in the garage behind the Service area, I saw the Cobra. I asked if it was for sale because it seemed like it was hidden away. They said it was and after a short test drive on Rte. 37, I purchased it”.

So what I find interesting is, my Cobra when new, wasn’t displayed on the front lot or on the interior sales floor. He states that he owned the Cobra until Feb. 2004, when he traded it in on a new leftover white 2003 T-Bird. So he owned the Cobra for 10 years, then I bought the Cobra in March 2004 and have owned it ever since.

He said if he comes across any old paperwork, he’ll forward it to me. He’s unsure though if he still has any original docs, because he has since moved from NJ out to AZ.

What’s cool too is that he mentions in his initial email he now has an S550. So I responded and sent him various pics of the Cobra and told him I too also own an S550 - Ruby Red over Ceramic Leather. In his next response back, his S550 is the same color combo, but is a convertible vs. my fastback…. How coincidental is that - we’re totally different people, in different age brackets, in different States - that have only the 1994 Cobra as a common link, but we each currently own an S550 that is the same exact exterior/interior color combos… LOL. To me, it’s strange, but true.

I have retained our correspondence which will stay with the Cobra’s other docs for historical purposes.

So, you’re all probably wondering how I was able to locate the prior owner….

When I first bought the Cobra in 2004, as with any other car I’ve ever owned, first thing I did was a thorough cleaning/detailing, by going through the entire car, in/out. When I lifted the spare tire cover, I found a 3-page yellowed work order stuffed in the spare tire well. The work order was from a Good Year Tire Center and also had the name & address of a person on it. It was dated August 1998 and at that time the Cobra only had 38,987 miles on it. In 2004, I just filed this document away . . .

In the last 3 weeks, I had pulled boxes out of storage and came across an early folder with all docs/receipts retained for my Cobra. In this folder was the old Good Year Tire Center receipt, which I totally forgot about and haven’t looked at in 18 years. I saw the person’s name/address on it (again) and figured with all the now available technology, vast internet improvements, and search engine abilities, I would back track and search on the name.

I plugged the name and was eventually able to match online results of it with the correct address on the receipt. However, I noticed that some other searches revealed a different person’s name at that same address. I assumed the person on my receipt must no longer reside at that address all these years later. So I kept searching online and my next (2) hits were a LinkedIn profile for an older gentleman, but I couldn’t access it because I don’t have a LinkedIn account. The 2nd result was a Law Firm with a matching name. So, not knowing who this person on the receipt was or is, or even if their last name had any affiliation to the name of the Law Firm (or my Cobra), I figured what the heck, I’ll either get a response or not. I then used the Law Firm’s online “Contact Us”, and sent a brief note. I asked in my note if the person I was seeking was with the firm or if the person was no longer with the firm, could the recipient forward my note to them. I also stated that my reason for contact was that I may be the owner of their prior Mustang…. I hit the send button and off went my message.

Within a few days, I received an email from THE named person! The sender’s email address matched the exact name I was seeking. His response confirmed that yes, he was that person, yes the home address I had was his prior residence, AND yes he did own the Cobra!

I never expected to ever get a response due to the years passed, let alone making contact with the actual prior owner.

Now I have that documented proof from a complete name and address on the Good Year Tire Center receipt, to the complete full name of the Sender’s email used as the responding email address, as well as the actual person not only confirming prior ownership since new, but also “filling in the blanks” that now provide me with the background of the car, as well as him politely providing me with his current address (without my request).

18 years ago, the internet was still a fledgling and I just never thought to make contact with a person who’s name was on a random work order receipt I found in the trunk…

If you’re not an original owner and are seeking prior ownership history on your SVT, or any other Mustang - don’t give up… it’s out there, it’s just a matter of researching, sending out feeler emails or now posting online to sites like this one (or on Social Media) requesting others to help complete your quest.

Last edited:

BigScott96

Established Member
I have a very serious question, of which I have not been able to answer or ever find out any info...

The 1994 Cobra production run - does anyone have or know of the whereabouts of SVT build #'s 0001-0012? These SVT's had to have a very early build month and date of possibly around January 1994. I have searched online for quite some time using multiple forum threads, eBay, craigslist and numerous for sale ads, and I've yet to locate or find those vehicles.

Does anyone also know which 1994 Cobras were used in any Ford promotional material and if those cars survived or were they destroyed (not sold to the public)?

You all may be wondering why I'm asking.

I'm the 2nd owner of my Cobra and it was bone stock when purchased years ago. I always knew the actual SVT build number had to be low, based on my VCL decal's month/year build date AND the fact that my actual VIN # is extremely low when comparing to any/all other 1994 Cobras I've been able to find online, etc.

I've also owned a prior 1996 Cobra, prior to my 94. I did the whole "SVT Certificate thing" when I owned that Cobra, so when I bought my 94 years ago, I never really had any interest in obtaining it's SVT Certificate and already knew all about the car and it's "uniqueness".

Fast forward to last year... Out of curiosity, I finally decided to call the 1-800 number for Ford to see what my 94 Cobra's actual SVT Build number was.... I gave the Ford Rep my VIN and upon him looking up the info, he came back and said "Your Cobra is SVT Build # 0013". I thought I was not hearing correctly and asked him to repeat, in which he said the same thing, "13" as in, 0013. Needless to say, I was not only surprised, but at the same time, being around Mustangs and owning MANY over the years, I already thought it's build # was low based on my VIN & VCL decal, but I NEVER thought it was within the first 15 built, or even first 100.

Now, ever since finding out my build #, as stated above, I've been unable to locate #'s 0001-0012, therefore as far as I know, my Cobra is the lowest production 94 Cobra in existence. This is why I'm on the search for the others.

If anyone has any info, or could even supply me with any other info they may know about my Cobra, that would be awesome.

My Cobra's VCL build date is: January 1994
Actual Assembly line build from BUC tag: January 24, 1994
Last (6) of my VIN: 144409
Confirmed SVT Production #: 0013
Rio Red over Black

:beer:

(note: I'm not new to Mustang forums, or Mustang ownership even though I'm a new user here....) :)
This may help or not. I have seen this question before and actually remember reading a article about the early build cars. I do not remember where I read it. I do know it was a couple years ago. Someone in another forum posted a link to the article in a thread. I know this doesn't help much. I do remember reading it. It was in a mustang forum not a cobra specific. If I remember or find it I will post link. I believe the #1 car is in a Ford upper managements hands.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
This may help or not. I have seen this question before and actually remember reading a article about the early build cars. I do not remember where I read it. I do know it was a couple years ago. Someone in another forum posted a link to the article in a thread. I know this doesn't help much. I do remember reading it. It was in a mustang forum not a cobra specific. If I remember or find it I will post link. I believe the #1 car is in a Ford upper managements hands.

Hi,

Yes, whatever early 1994 SVT Cobra info you can get, please post up.

Still on the quest...

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Just want to give a big thanks and shout out to @tbenvie - he was kind enough to correspond and has helped to fill in some of the blanks for 1994 SVT Cobra Coupes #01-#12.

We connected via emails, shared collected info on the 1994 Cobra SVT’s and it probably would not have happened without the existence of SVT Performance. Thanks to those who keep this site going!

I’ve been looking literally for years for this info and all it took was for this thread to get hits via search engines and users who have joined and seen it.

The info that was supplied finally filled the gaps for what I was seeking for the 1994 SVT Cobra Coupes #’s 01-12.

Based on the available info for the first SVT Cobra Coupes #01-#20, it appears that my 1994 SVT Cobra Coupe #13 is still the earliest known registered and driven survivor. SVT #12 seems to have last updated registration info in 2021.

SVT Cobra Coupes prior to #12 haven’t shown registration updates for quite a few years (10-20+ years).

SVT Cobra Coupes after #12, seems SVT Cobra Coupe #19 is one that had last updated info as of 2020.

If anyone has any other data available for the 1994 SVT Cobra Coupes OR the 1994 Cobra Pace Cars, please feel free to post ANY of that info into this thread to help others in the future.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So I have another update to my Cobra…

I have been able to contact the prior owner! He’s a very nice gentleman and was nice enough to correspond with me via emails.

He confirmed that he was in fact the original Buyer/Owner of my 94 Cobra. I have always thought I was only the 2nd Owner based on titling info found in VIN reports, as well as the actual “owner” field on my NJ Title. His information has now factually confirmed there has not been any other owners to my Cobra aside from him and me.

He bought the car brand new in June 1994 from Downs Ford here in NJ. He said he was initially there looking for a convertible “but they only had one, in an ugly shade of yellow with an automatic transmission”. He proceeds to say “As I was wandering around in the garage behind the Service area, I saw the Cobra. I asked if it was for sale because it seemed like it was hidden away. They said it was and after a short test drive on Rte. 37, I purchased it”.

So what I find interesting is, my Cobra when new, wasn’t displayed on the front lot or on the interior sales floor. He states that he owned the Cobra until Feb. 2004, when he traded it in on a new leftover white 2003 T-Bird. So he owned the Cobra for 10 years, then I bought the it in March 2004 and have owned it ever since.

He said if he comes across any old paperwork, he’ll forward it to me. He’s unsure though if he still has any original docs, because he has since moved from NJ out to AZ.

What’s cool too is that he mentions in his initial email he now has an S550. So I responded and sent him various pics of the Cobra and told him I too also own an S550 - Ruby Red over Ceramic Leather. In his next response back, his S550 is the same color combo, but is a convertible vs. my fastback…. How coincidental is that - we’re totally different people, in different age brackets, in different States - that have only the 1994 Cobra as a common link, but we each currently own an S550 that is the same exact exterior/interior color combos… LOL. To me, it’s strange, but true.

I have retained our correspondence which will stay with the Cobra’s other docs for historical purposes.

So, you’re all probably wondering how I was able to locate the prior owner….

When I first bought the Cobra in 2004, as with any other car I’ve ever owned, first thing I did was a thorough cleaning/detailing, by going through the entire car, in/out. When I lifted the spare tire cover, I found a 3-page yellowed work order stuffed in the spare tire well. The work order was from a Good Year Tire Center and also had the name & address of a person on it. It was dated August 1998 and at that time the Cobra only had 38,987 miles on it. In 2004, I just filed this document away . . .

In the last 3 weeks, I had pulled boxes out of storage and came across an early folder with all docs/receipts retained for my Cobra. In this folder was the old Good Year Tire Center receipt, which I totally forgot about and haven’t looked at in 18 years. I saw the person’s name/address on it (again) and figured with all the now available technology, vast internet improvements, and search engine abilities, I would back track and search on the name.

I plugged the name and was eventually able to match online results of it with the correct address on the receipt. However, I noticed that some other searches revealed a different person’s name at that same address. I assumed the person on my receipt must no longer reside at that address all these years later. So I kept searching online and my next (2) hits were a LinkedIn profile for an older gentleman, but I couldn’t access it because I don’t have a LinkedIn account. The 2nd result was a Law Firm with a matching name. So, not knowing who this person on the receipt was or is, or even if their last name had any affiliation to the name of the Law Firm (or my Cobra), I figured what the heck, I’ll either get a response or not. I then used the Law Firm’s online “Contact Us”, and sent a brief note. I asked in my note if the person I was seeking was with the firm or if the person was no longer with the firm, could the recipient forward my note to them. I also stated that my reason for contact was that I may be the owner of their prior Mustang…. I hit the send button and off went my message.

Within a few days, I received an email from THE named person! The sender’s email address matched the exact name I was seeking. His response confirmed that yes, he was that person, yes the home address I had was his prior residence, AND yes he did own the Cobra!

I never expected to ever get a response due to the years passed, let alone making contact with the actual prior owner.

Now I have that documented proof from a complete name and address on the Good Year Tire Center receipt, to the complete full name of the Sender’s email used as the responding email address, as well as the actual person not only confirming prior ownership since new, but also “filling in the blanks” that now provide me with the background of the car, as well as him politely providing me with his current address (without my request).

18 years ago, the internet was still a fledgling and I just never thought to make contact with a person who’s name was on a random work order receipt I found in the trunk…

If you’re not an original owner and are seeking prior ownership history on your SVT, or any other Mustang - don’t give up… it’s out there, it’s just a matter of researching, sending out feeler emails or now posting online to sites like this one (or on Social Media) requesting others to help complete your quest.
That was great detective work on your part. Aided, of course, by you finding the old Goodyear Tire Center receipt. That was an awesome series of events that got you to the original owner. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread