1993 Mustang Cobra issues please read and please let me here your input.

mineslouder

Established Member
I have a guy wanting to trade me his mint 1993 cobra. 94,000 miles on it. Here is the issue I am having, he sent me his Vin# and i just googled the vin for the hell of it and a thread popped up from svt site with pictures of a wrecked cobra that someone was trying to sale a while ago. I sent it to him and said I am going to pass on it. He called me and said that is not my car that car has a sunroof and mine does not. if you look through the thread of the first link the seller posted his vin# and the vin # he sent me matches the one in the thread then lightning larry in the thread posted another link to the thread where the mustang with the sunroof was wrecked. Here are the links and here is a picture of the car. He said all his vin tags match. and carfax is clean and the car has never been in a wreck . the car he was trying to trade me Vin#- 1FACP42D0PF184384

links to the cobra that has the same vin # posted in the thread. hopefully this isnt to confusing.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?468306-1993-Cobra-Teal-Grey-cloth-85K-miles-MINT

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?468604-Avoid-Asperformance

mineslouder

Established Member
pics of the cobra he is trying to trade me

No sunroof on this car but same vin#

Attachments

• 93c.jpg
    93c.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,034
Last edited:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I don't see the issue. Clearly someone is wrong. If the guy you are wanting to trade really has all the vin tags on the car, than the link to the SVTP clearly had the wrong VIN.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Some shady shit is happening there. It's either the same car or someone swapped VIN's onto a non-Cobra to make it appear to be a Cobra. You are right to pass on it.

Do you have a link and/or pics of the car the guy is trying to trade?

Coiled03

Established Member
Whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Way too sketchy for me.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Wait, the ASP guy was selling a non-sunroof car. He posted a VIN. LL matched that VIN to a wrecked cobra with a sunroof. I doubt they removed the sunroof while rebuilding the front end. Nor would they have all the vin tags on the front end after that crash. It seems someone somewhere typed in the wrong VIN. I'm thinking there are two different cars.

mineslouder

Established Member
no this guy contacted me through my add of stuff i have for sale asking me if i wanted to trade He doesnt have a add of anywhere that I could find. I am walking away from it as its just to many what ifs. Just figured I would post as it was blowing my mind one car has sunroof and other doesnt but same vins.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
no this guy contacted me through my add of stuff i have for sale asking me if i wanted to trade He doesnt have a add of anywhere that I could find. I am walking away from it as its just to many what ifs. Just figured I would post as it was blowing my mind one car has sunroof and other doesnt but same vins.

Where are you seeing that the wrecked car has as sunroof, the ad from 2008 even says no sunroof...

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Clear as day:

cobra2.jpg

cobra1.jpg

Kinda looks like a reflection to me. Besides that, here is the ad!

Ok here we go, I Have a 93 teal cobra, It is all stock except For exhaust. All vin tags, In placae, It is Located in NC, has Original window sticker, original SVT Documet, Probabbly the Best documentd 93 Cobra I have seen. Paint is a 9 out of 10, Interrior is a 9 of 10. Car has no issues everything works, A/C never been recharged. Original Gears in the rear. I have an original set of headers if you want them installed, Only option it has is rear defrost, no sunroof. can send Pictures to Serious parties only and I do mean serious. My cell is I am asking $12.500 OBO. Runs and drives like a new car, Looks more like a 40K mile car. If you want one you can drive and enjoy this is it, Clean title Clean car fax, i am the 3rd owner.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Think about this... What happens if/when you decide to sell it down the road? I would not want the hassle of trying to prove to potential buyers that the car I was selling was not the wrecked car that popped up in search results. I agree with the others, it just doesn't smell right.

I think you are right black4vcobra, it does look like a reflection and not a sunroof.

mineslouder

Established Member
o3sssnake, you are completely right I dont want to go through the hassle of trying to prove that it sint the car if it really isnt so therefore I am going to pass it up.

mineslouder

Established Member
he also sent me a pic of the svt certificate its supposively car number 4738

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Those pictures are NOT from ASP. Those are pics from LL. He took the VIN posted, and got those pictures from elsewhere. That's why I'm saying that somewhere, someone typed the wrong VIN.

Right, but LL took the VIN and found the pics of the car ASP was trying to sell and to me those pics are not enough to show a sunroof does exist. Here is a link for the same car from 2008 that shows no sunroof... http://1993cobra.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=6499#6499

Also, the phone numbers from the SVTP thread and the 1993Cobra thread match as 910-224-3500

While it's possible someone screwed up the VIN by a number, I'd bet it's the same car.

Last edited:

mineslouder

Established Member
I think the guy that owns the car got had myself and he didnt know about any of this if it is true. I straight up told him the issues I found with it and sent him the links. He said he paid 13000 for it a few months ago but wants to get rid of it because its hard for him to keep it stock. Anyways thanks for all your input. I am sending him this link also and maybe he will become a member and figure something out on it. For his sake I hope it isnt the same car but I am thinking it is.

oldmodman

Established Member
Nothing to see here.

Step 1. Buy wrecked car private party before it is reported to DMV or insurance as wrecked. For nearly no money since drunk asshole that crashed it just wants it gone before "someone" spots it.

Step 2. Drill out VIN plate.

Step 3. Pop rivet legal VIN plate onto stolen good condition car. Sell. Profit.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Nothing to see here.

Step 1. Buy wrecked car private party before it is reported to DMV or insurance as wrecked. For nearly no money since drunk asshole that crashed it just wants it gone before "someone" spots it.

Step 2. Drill out VIN plate.

Step 3. Pop rivet legal VIN plate onto stolen good condition car. Sell. Profit.

You're ignoring the OP saying the seller claims it all all the VIN tags. That means the front bumper cover, hood, and both fenders. The wrecked car pictures above, once repaired, would not have those.

Users who are viewing this thread