1992 mustang cobra vert????

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
I remember Dugan or one of the other tuners doing a run of these. One was in muscle mustangs it was a black or dark blue cant remember The title was the Cobra Ford should have built or something like that. They faked certificates and all. I remember thinking wait 10 20 years when someone ends up with one of these and thinks its real.

Someone needs to dig into one of their boxes of old mags in the basement and find that issue. I've kept all of my old mags but didn't start "collecting" or "not throwing away" until the end of the 90's.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with some others, no such thing as a 92 cobra vert, but only a dealer cosmetic "vert" But I'll wait to see.

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
Dealer installed body kit and wheels? Doesn't sound like it was built by SVT. Not saying it isn't legit, just saying it would be really easy to fake because of the way Ford documents, or doesn't document, their production numbers. But, I was skeptical of the "black 93 R" as well. The black 92 GT that was used by Roush as a development mule for the 93 R. It looked the part, only it was black. It sold a few years back for some decent coin. The only thing about it is if you run the VIN it comes back as a 92 GT, not a 93 R.

All that begin said, i kinda like the idea of a 93 Cobra vert. Though I doubt it was what Coletti and crew had in mind when they designed it.

Interesting idea though, no doubt.

I have photos posted on Stangnet and Ford Mustang Photo Gallery. I am the third owner of my car and have owned it since March 1998. I purchased it in Static, TN. The car was part of a promotion began at the end of the 1992 model run. Ford was in a law suit over the rights to the Cobra name going into 1993. They nearly waited too long to reuse the name and the rights to the name were up for rights. The marketing dept ran the promotion through dealerships at key marketing centers across the country. Mine came from Fairlane Ford in Dearborn. The first owner was a SVT engineer. SVT sent these dealers the Cobra additions for them to take an existing convertible from inventory and convert and retitle. The luggage rack was deleted and the Cars and Concepts rear wing spoiler was added (same unit as on the Limited Edition, Spring Time edition and 7-Up cars). The dealer additionally added a Ram Air hood (noted on my original window sticker provided to me by the original owner whom I have contacted). My cars production date is 06/01/92. When I figure out how to post photos on this site I will post them.

Last edited:

TX93Cobra

Established Member
What happened to this thread? Everybody lose interest?

i guess there was nothing else to say until georgia gets home and is able to post something documenting his car. we would just be beating a dead keyboard =)

BHAM

Established Member
100% not a freaking COBRA! i dont care what phoney documents you post,. there was NO SUCH THING AS A 1992 OR 1993 COBRA VERT. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please stop telling people you have a cobra convertable, you are making yourself look like a horses ass.

you may fool a 13 year old girl into thinking you have a cobra vert, but not anyone who knows a little about the 93 cobra.

BHAM

Established Member
i hate to be this guy, but i am!

stop fooling yourself. here is a quick search on the interweb!
read and weap..... i really hope you dont think you are right and everyone else is wrong.....

PLEASE PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO VR: its a little more than half way down the page...

VIN/Door Tag information

Last edited:

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
1992 Cobra Convertible

I am still away from home and actually out of the country right now in Canada, brrrrr. Seems the little airline i work for has no one to replace me on the road right now. As soon as I get back I will be getting and posting or somehow sharing my documentation with everyone.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
i dont think you understand that we already know that certificates and paperwork can be copied and made. in fact i think there are guys on this site that make them.

buddha93

Established Member
I'm guessing he has a certificate, genuine or not, that a call to SVT would clear up pretty quickly to resolve the matter.

Still an interesting story. I'd contact the dealer it was sold from, and see if anyone working there was around and remembers the car, or better yet added the "Cobra" items.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
1992 Cobra Convertible

Ok, once again I will get my documentation out there as soon as I am relieved with some time off actually at home. I work in the transportation industry, specifically a small charter airline as a Flight Mechanic. For those who know nothing about this kind of work, I spend a great deal of time "on the road" as a mechanic crewman on board the company aircraft. I travel both domestically and internationally. Sholando, don't be so quick to pass judgement just because I haven't responded to the blog in a while because you know nothing about the nature of what I do for a living. Believe me if I carried the documents with me I would have already put this to rest. Buddha, I do have the SVT Cert as well as the window price sticker and the build sheets for my car in my files at home. I even went so far as to have my wife verify them being there a few days ago. The company I work for is understaffed and me being the Senor Flight Mechanic for the company I am in a position of having to pull the extra time in the field to make up for that short coming. This is not unusually for me in my job as I have spent as much as 3 months on more than one occasion before being able to rotate home for real time off. Once I am back home I will give you guys out there a priority. I want to put this to rest as bad as any of you all for what might be completely different reasons. Those that know me, that I participate in car shows with on the few occasions that my time off allows the coincidence of mutual scheduling can vouch for my integrity.

buddha93

Established Member
Ok, once again I will get my documentation out there as soon as I am relieved with some time off actually at home. I work in the transportation industry, specifically a small charter airline as a Flight Mechanic. For those who know nothing about this kind of work, I spend a great deal of time "on the road" as a mechanic crewman on board the company aircraft. I travel both domestically and internationally. Sholando, don't be so quick to pass judgement just because I haven't responded to the blog in a while because you know nothing about the nature of what I do for a living. Believe me if I carried the documents with me I would have already put this to rest. Buddha, I do have the SVT Cert as well as the window price sticker and the build sheets for my car in my files at home. I even went so far as to have my wife verify them being there a few days ago. The company I work for is understaffed and me being the Senor Flight Mechanic for the company I am in a position of having to pull the extra time in the field to make up for that short coming. This is not unusually for me in my job as I have spent as much as 3 months on more than one occasion before being able to rotate home for real time off. Once I am back home I will give you guys out there a priority. I want to put this to rest as bad as any of you all for what might be completely different reasons. Those that know me, that I participate in car shows with on the few occasions that my time off allows the coincidence of mutual scheduling can vouch for my integrity.

Meh, don't sweat it. Just post back when you get the time and have the details. However it turns out, it's still an interesting story. A lot of guys get a little jumpy when they see a car like this, as most of us have been into Fox-body Mustangs for some time, and know the history of this car extensively. Heck, I've owned at least one Fox car for the last 20 years.:D Now I'm just making myself sound old.........lol!

Back in the 90's when these cars were new, I remember test driving a GT that had some small add-ons that looked factory installed and they tagged it with some sort of package name on the window sticker..........don't recall what they named it.

I'm more curious as to when the car was converted if the car is a 92. I would find it hard to believe they would be able to procure parts pre-production of the 93' as they would be of extremely limited quantity. It sounds as if you have enough documentation and details to research the history of the car.

It sounds like you enjoy the car, regardless of it's status.

buddha93

Established Member
Found this today on another forum. Not sure how true it is. But, kinda makes sense regarding this car.

After reading this. I figure that this 92 gt cobra vert is a Canadian car. :shrug::shrug:

Scroll down a little on the page....

1992 FORD MUSTANG GT/COBRA GT need info - V8 Ford Mustang forums

I don't think so Brett, as he stated the original selling dealer is in the states. The Canadian Cobra is a whole other story.

I think without a doubt it's a 92' GT convertible. The only question at this point is who and when was it converted with the Cobra parts. That's my 2 cents anyway.....

BrettT 93|03

93 & 03 Cobra Venom
Established Member
I don't think so Brett, as he stated the original selling dealer is in the states. The Canadian Cobra is a whole other story.

I think without a doubt it's a 92' GT convertible. The only question at this point is who and when was it converted with the Cobra parts. That's my 2 cents anyway.....

Yea, but I thought I read from one of his early post that the first owner was a SVT engineer. Maybe this car never made it across the border.

:shrug: got me. Just trying to help

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread