1992 mustang cobra vert????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sctrooperlx

Established Member
I went to a car show last weekend and there was a guy there with what looked like a 1992 mustang gt vert but it had all of the cobra body parts on it.He did have a svt certificate that said it was 1 of 10 made and it was a prototype.I have never herd of a fox body cobra that was a convertible.It was black with all black interior. What are your all thoughts?? Real of just somebody trying to pull a fast one???

TX93Cobra

Established Member
pretty sure its someone trying to pull a fast one. i know a guy down the street from me that comes into my work all the time, and claims he has a cobra, then i ask him what heads do you have, e7's? and he says yes. then i smile and go on about my business =)

WillyB93

Established Member
I would say the same thing about it, FAKE.

MY-VETTE

Sports Car Junkie!
Established Member
100% Fake!

Year Model Production
1993 Hatchback 4,993
R 107
Total 5,100

Last edited:

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
I went to a car show last weekend and there was a guy there with what looked like a 1992 mustang gt vert but it had all of the cobra body parts on it.He did have a svt certificate that said it was 1 of 10 made and it was a prototype.I have never herd of a fox body cobra that was a convertible.It was black with all black interior. What are your all thoughts?? Real of just somebody trying to pull a fast one???

Yeah, i'm thinkin' he is either trying pull a fast one, OR he had a fast one pulled on him and hasn't realized it yet.

I would think that after 17 years and several cobra / SVT books being written that some hints about 10 convertibles being built would have surfaced by now.

Besides that, WHY would they build TEN prototypes? I could see one (maybe 2) for various testing, but why would they need 10 if they weren't going to actually sell any?

:nono:

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
1992 Cobra Convertible

Ok I feel I must clear up some misunderstanding about the 1992 Cobra Convertible in question here. First, it is my car I believe that was being discribed. Second, it is not a prototype. It is , however, a promotional car. It is #2 of a build of 10 such cars promoted at the end of the 1992 model year. I use the car for car shows and some pleasure driving. It is triple black and very low milage. I do have the original Certificate as well as the build sheets and the window sticker. Those of us who have been around Fords as long as I have know how badly Ford documents certain promotional cars. I can remember when no one thought 1968 High Country Specials were real until they began to surface. I also remember when the 1972 Sprint package was offered and no one thought any convertibles were part of that run of cars until a few made the scene. I was also at the 40th anniversary show in 2004 outside of Nashville, TN where I ran into another one of the Promotional Convertibles that mine is part of, a Red one. They are out there. Give it time and the other cars will slowly show up and make themselves known like all the less well known low production cars always do. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Ok I feel I must clear up some misunderstanding about the 1992 Cobra Convertible in question here. First, it is my car I believe that was being discribed. Second, it is not a prototype. It is , however, a promotional car. It is #2 of a build of 10 such cars promoted at the end of the 1992 model year. I use the car for car shows and some pleasure driving. It is triple black and very low milage. I do have the original Certificate as well as the build sheets and the window sticker. Those of us who have been around Fords as long as I have know how badly Ford documents certain promotional cars. I can remember when no one thought 1968 High Country Specials were real until they began to surface. I also remember when the 1972 Sprint package was offered and no one thought any convertibles were part of that run of cars until a few made the scene. I was also at the 40th anniversary show in 2004 outside of Nashville, TN where I ran into another one of the Promotional Convertibles that mine is part of, a Red one. They are out there. Give it time and the other cars will slowly show up and make themselves known like all the less well known low production cars always do. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year

Where's the pics/proof?

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
What proof do you want? I have plenty of photos, trophies, etc. If you want photos Google 1992 Cobra Convertible or let me know and I can tell you my E mail address. If you Google 1992 Cobra Convertible photos of my car will come up.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
What proof do you want? I have plenty of photos, trophies, etc. If you want photos Google 1992 Cobra Convertible or let me know and I can tell you my E mail address. If you Google 1992 Cobra Convertible photos of my car will come up.

Photos and trophies don't mean sh*t..

Documentation from Ford, documentation in SVT Recognition guide, Bill of sale from Ford, unique VIN, etc., are proof.

And for google, I entered 1992 Cobra convertible and get a TON of pics of 92 mustangs. Which pic is yours ?

Sounds like your car is a dealer package, not a Ford package. If it was sold to you as the real deal, you got suckered.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
lol trophies from a car show because your car is in good shape doesnt mean its svt certified. yes the 1992 cobra convertible will come up under google because of all the people making clones.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
1992 Cobra Convertible

I have photos posted on Stangnet and Ford Mustang Photo Gallery. I am the third owner of my car and have owned it since March 1998. I purchased it in Static, TN. The car was part of a promotion began at the end of the 1992 model run. Ford was in a law suit over the rights to the Cobra name going into 1993. They nearly waited too long to reuse the name and the rights to the name were up for rights. The marketing dept ran the promotion through dealerships at key marketing centers across the country. Mine came from Fairlane Ford in Dearborn. The first owner was a SVT engineer. SVT sent these dealers the Cobra additions for them to take an existing convertible from inventory and convert and retitle. The luggage rack was deleted and the Cars and Concepts rear wing spoiler was added (same unit as on the Limited Edition, Spring Time edition and 7-Up cars). The dealer additionally added a Ram Air hood (noted on my original window sticker provided to me by the original owner whom I have contacted). My cars production date is 06/01/92. When I figure out how to post photos on this site I will post them.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
1993 cobras were designed in 1992 and shown at the Chicage Car show, wouldnt you think the convertible would have been mentioned??

your car has no 93 cobra changes besides wheels and a spoiler. it does not have the body kit nor the cobra grill. there are no cutouts for your exhaust tips that you had put on there, and i know ford and the SVT team would not design there tips like that without cut outs in the bumper like they did for the cobra. also i believe that hood was designed by cervini, but dont quote me on that. they also didnt put a 5.0 below the cobra emblem, SVT has always stuck with only a cobra emblem. btw SVT certificates can be made. so can fake window stickers. just wondering why your the only one that has heard of this within the SVT foxbody group??

Last edited:

robertlyons

Established Member
Now, now, now, let's not be too hasty here. Or insulting. If I was this guy, I'd tell you all to go f off. Do any of you remember the Falkin (sp) SVO. A dealer converted several 84 Turbo GT convertibles into SVO convertibles. Not Ford produced, but recognized by those in the know.

But, saying that, this does look bad. Instead of telling this guy he's been had, I'd be curious what signatures are on his certificate. An early certificate should have Plant's signature on it (back before SVT was taken over by marketing types, I had access to the organization and pushed for the certificates and the Pace car plaques). If they have Scarpello's signature on it, it doesn't make it a fake, but it does make it done well after the car's production. Does both snakes on his fenders look forward, or does one look back? Does the ground effects split at the front fender, or behind the doors? Don't we have someone in the Dearborn area that can stop by the dealer and ask an old timer about this car? What about some of the original SVT crew? I know a few are still at Ford.

I know the first cars that had the CObra ground effects were built in October, a few months after this car was built. Two of the first three were crash tested, with their parts later showing up at a junkyard in OH.

Just sayin', before we lynch this guy's car, let's give it a fair trial first.

Last edited:

TX93Cobra

Established Member
Now, now, now, let's not be too hasty here. Or insulting. If I was this guy, I'd tell you all to go f off. Do any of you remember the Falkin (sp) SVO. A dealer converted several 84 Turbo GT convertibles into SVO convertibles. Not Ford produced, but recognized by those in the know.

But, saying that, this does look bad. Instead of telling this guy he's been had, I'd be curious what signatures are on his certificate. An early certificate should have Plant's signature on it (back before SVT was taken over by marketing types, I had access to the organization and pushed for the certificates and the Pace car plaques). If they have Scarpello's signature on it, it doesn't make it a fake, but it does make it done well after the car's production. Does both snakes on his fenders look forward, or does one look back? Does the ground effects split at the front fender, or behind the doors? Don't we have someone in the Dearborn area that can stop by the dealer and ask an old timer about this car? What about some of the original SVT crew? I know a few are still at Ford.

I know the first cars that had the CObra ground effects were built in October, a few months after this car was built. Two of the first three were crash tested, with their parts later showing up at a junkyard in OH.

Just sayin', before we lynch this guy's car, let's give it a fair trial first.

ok ok, just ran into my fair share of people lying. it isnt bad to build a clone in my opinion at all, just be real with it. In this case, if it is a dealer built car, i would think it would not have an SVT certificate. i looked for the snakes on the fender but i couldnt find pictures of the other side.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Extrememly interesting. First thought someone was talking a Canadian GT. Then, thought it was a clone car.

I would be VERY interested to see the original window sticker. As many of you know, I'm a bit of a guru with them and know some things that people don't that would allow me to verifiy authenticity.

To the OP - please don't take offense at everyone wanting proof - this is something none of us have ever heard of, and several of us have been members of this board and the old scoa board since their inception. Bob Lyons (from above) produced a newsletter for a number of years as well and hasn't heard of these 10 cars.

There are some interesting bits to this story, as the details about Ford almost losing the rights to "Cobra" were well known. The late build dates of the cars is very interesting as well.

Again, I would love to see the original window sticker - you can email to me privately if you wish

rwhite 3 0 2 at yahoo dot com

I did notice that the badges face correct directions, no running horse insert. So, I'm eagerly awaiting answers to mine and Bob's questions. We won't even get into the part numbers on the wheels, what brakes are on there (looks like the offset is correct), and other bits and pieces that are unique to the Cobra.

I suspect that Ford simply shopped this out to a few of it's big dealers as a "factory option" to retain the Cobra name just in case the 1993 models weren't released quick enough. If all this story checks out, this would probably be one of the biggest finds in the 93 Cobra world in years...

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
1992 Cobra Convertible

My Certificate is signed by J P Plant and O J Coletti. and yes the Cobra badge on the left side is wrong my car was broken into a while back and vandlized and repainted. I had the body shop aquire new badging and they did it how they thought was "correct". I have been living with the error but I do need to correct that mistake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread