1992 mustang cobra vert????

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertlyons

Established Member
OK, this is more like it! Let's work the issue and see if we can get to the bottom of it. Otherwise, this forum is just like most of the others.

I'm curious about the ground effects. The 92 may have been a June build, but when was it converted by the dealer? Also, somebody should be able to check with SVT about the run of cars. That would at least define whether Ford recognized them or if somebody got creative with a computer.

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
Yeah any FORD documenation is going to be key on this car. Second being documentation from several dealers that were involved in this. If it's a dealer one-of I don't think it makes it too special other than Cobra parts being out maybe earlier than the cars release date. Again documentation would have to prove when the conversion was done.

If legit, wouldn't this have had to beenmade around the time they were using the prototype emblems and GT-Plus name? Don't think they would have used the production emblems. What about the early 5-lug wheels that Ford what going to use, how many lugs are on this car?

I'm surprised to hear Ford almost lost the Cobra name since the canadian GT's were called Cobra's just for that purpose. Interesting.

I would love some close up pics as well!

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
OK, this is more like it! Let's work the issue and see if we can get to the bottom of it. Otherwise, this forum is just like most of the others.

I'm curious about the ground effects. The 92 may have been a June build, but when was it converted by the dealer? Also, somebody should be able to check with SVT about the run of cars. That would at least define whether Ford recognized them or if somebody got creative with a computer.

Holy Cow! Robert Lyons! Is that REALLY you?? Man, I remember when you were first putting together the SCOA! I think I still have my issues of the newsletter around here somewhere...

GREAT to have you on"board" here! Hope we see / hear more from you in the future.

...ok, back to the thread at hand.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
At that time there were quite a few dealer models being produced. You had saleen, steeda, Kenny Brown, and then others trying to make a buck. Dugan had a car at a couple atlanta dealers. I have a feeling it is like a lot of the 05 GT's with GT500 bodywork dealers around here were selling. I think the parts were in the ford parts stream and with the hype of the 93 cobra coming out. I think your going to find out it was a dealership special. But you never know if the black 92 Cobra R mule can slip away from the crusher, so could of a few 93's. My question was coletti even part of SVT in 1992.

as per wikipedia SVT was founded in 1993 by John Plant of Ford Marketing, Janine Bay of Ford Mustang Program Management, and Robert Burnham of Ford Truck Program Management. So SVT started in 1993 and coletti was not part of it.

robertlyons

Established Member
Holy Cow! Robert Lyons! Is that REALLY you?? Man, I remember when you were first putting together the SCOA! I think I still have my issues of the newsletter around here somewhere...

GREAT to have you on"board" here! Hope we see / hear more from you in the future.

...ok, back to the thread at hand.

Yeah, I've had some bad breaks this decade. Crashed the Cobra twice (once at VIR, the other at the Glen), almost died twice, and a few other things. Then I had multiple people in the hobby and at Ford take pot shots at me and my character, so I kinda got disgusted at the whole thing. For several years, the only Mustang I had was the Cobra, and I almost sold it twice to get a Lotus. But now I'm down to two non-Mustang toy cars (a 1998 BMW M Roadster that's for sale and a Stage 1+ Turbo PT Cruiser Convertible), and back up to two Mustangs (the Cobra and a 20th Anniversary Convertible). I'll be at the MCA Grand National in September, and considering the National in Long Island. Due to the medical issues, I'm seriously thinking of "de-modifying" the Cobra a bit and hang up my helmet. We'll see how that goes over the next couple of years.

But back on topic, it was my understanding that the "Cobra" name had already lapsed back into the public domain in the USA. The 1993 Cobra was basically brought into being for 3 reasons: 1) It sounded better than GT-S or GT Plus; 2) It reclaimed the Cobra name for Ford, and; 3) Deflect some of the attention the 1993 Camaro/Firebird were getting from the press. Compared to the tuner cars available at the time, the 1993 Cobra was a steal even at sticker.

From what I know, I feel the 92 Convertible in question is probably not legit but the possibility is exciting.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
As soon as I get a scan/pic of the original window sticker from the original poster, I'll post up my "scientific" findings.

It is interesting that (if this is the real thing) verts were chosen as the car to do this to. Especially considering Ford never had any plans for verts on the fox body cars.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
1992 Cobra Convertible

Ok yall I am away from home working right now I missed New Years at home but was home for Xmas but that was before all this discussion broke out about my car. So as soon as I can get home in 3 to 4 weeks I will get the window sticker out of the file cabnet and the Cert, scan them both. I work in the airline industry and am away from home quite a bit so yall that want to see the documents just be patient I dont have a problem showing them. If any of yall want to ask any questions off the blog I can answer those too if you want to do an e mail thing. [email protected]. Does strike me as strang tho as how much of a ruckus it has stirred on here when it hasnt at some other places such as the 40th anniversary show I went to outside of Nashville in 04 and with Grundy's insurance whom I have it insured thru as what it is, but oh well. And too, I have seen one other of the 10 at the 40th show. Mine isnt the only one still out there. Surely the owners of the other 92's read blogs such as this one.

fivestangs

Established Member
Does strike me as strang tho as how much of a ruckus it has stirred on here when it hasnt at some other places such as the 40th anniversary show I went to outside of Nashville in 04 and with Grundy's insurance whom I have it insured thru as what it is, but oh well.

Probably because we're a bit more anal about these cars than 'other places' :D

BHAM

Established Member
this car is not a cobra, if anything it was a dealer option...like decal edition svo cars. they had horrific decals placed on the car, but that wasnt from svo, it was the dealer who modified the svo. i will put my cobra title on the line and say 100% that there is no such thing as a cobra vert. period! and to settle this, take a pic of the vin, i can tell you now there isnt a "d" in it. the " d " was the cobra designation,no other car had it , just the cobra and cobra r..

Last edited:

fivestangs

Established Member
Damn, I musta missed Bob's post when I started reading this thread....

I still have my sweet numbered and monogrammed SCOA jacket too! :beer:

Speedfreek

Established Member
I remember Dugan or one of the other tuners doing a run of these. One was in muscle mustangs it was a black or dark blue cant remember The title was the Cobra Ford should have built or something like that. They faked certificates and all. I remember thinking wait 10 20 years when someone ends up with one of these and thinks its real.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
this car is not a cobra, if anything it was a dealer option...like decal edition svo cars. they had horrific decals placed on the car, but that wasnt from svo, it was the dealer who modified the svo. i will put my cobra title on the line and say 100% that there is no such thing as a cobra vert. period! and to settle this, take a pic of the vin, i can tell you now there isnt a "d" in it. the " d " was the cobra designation,no other car had it , just the cobra and cobra r..

correct^

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
1992 Cobra Convertible

282 137437 2/11 RD has GT VIN# Skagit River Ford Mount Vernon, WA

This is a copy and paste from the 1993 Cobra registy for car #282 according to the registry this Cobra has a GT VIN number. another addity from Ford. Immagine that. Again when I rotate back home for my days off in about 3 weeks and get my Cert and Window Sticker out of my file cabinete I will scan it so it can be posted or sent to the fella that does the reproduction stickers for verifacation and than maybe he can tell what it is.

Speedfreek

Established Member
282 137437 2/11 RD has GT VIN# Skagit River Ford Mount Vernon, WA

This is a copy and paste from the 1993 Cobra registy for car #282 according to the registry this Cobra has a GT VIN number. another addity from Ford. Immagine that.

That car if I remember right is a 93 Cobra that had been stolen and vin swapped. The original Cobra vin is the 137437 it now wears a gt vin not the 137437 vin it originally had. Thus the reason it is listed in the registry as having a gt vin. Plain and simple someone tried to vin fraud it and put a gt vin on it to get a title. No the oddity from Ford you think it is.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
There is also the possibility of a totaled cobra being cut in half just past the firewall and be welded to a convertible LX or GT. There is a lady in town who swore she had a 70 Boss 302. During resto the front half was from a boss 302 and crazy enough the back half had vins for a convertible. But the crazy part it was a fast back. She paid boss 302 price and the guys restoring it didn't want to put their name on it.

I remember the Dugan cobra's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread