1985 GT build thread.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
what are your plans for the engine build N/A, boost, N2O? If its N/A look into the P38 heads from Kaase because those things make some power for a street head, but for racing there are better options. I personally like N/A setups because they sound the best and are usually the cleanest of the 3 builds and with your engine bay being so clean and tidy it would work well together. but I also understand boost and N2O builds because to much power is always a good thing.

Stupidly strong NA 8.2" deck height. When that isn't enough to keep up with boosted GT500's I plan to have a dumb amount of juice to throw at it.

What I'm having issues with now is creating a high revving high HP engine that isn't suffering down low in the RPM range. Im talking to several different builders now and trying to get ducks in a row.

Don't lift off the gas now, you're coming into prime finishing-it-and-driving-it season!

I know what you mean man. Sometimes I need a break, and come back to it with a clear head... Which is why I'm going to Mexico to clear my head lol. I still have a very long road a head of me on this project so I probably won't make the good driving season.

Yeah man, plus we got FFF next April. Don't let up yet! What's the situation with the motor?

Trust me man I hear ya, my Dad just retired (again for the 2nd time) and is coming out to stay with me for a couple months so we will knock out as much as we can but truthfully I'm not going to try and rush it so in all honestly I might not make FFF16 which really sucks.

Motor situation is a long story id rather not get into over the forum. Its not that I am having bad luck with the builder just expectations I don't think can be met. Still great guys but now I'm talking to other builders as well...

nice build so far. I have to compliment you on how neat clean and organized your work space is! Nice work!

Thank you sir. I feel that I can't get anything done if its a mess in the garage.. same with my desk at work, I can't work if its messy. College I was the same way too, couldn't study unless my area was clean.

Great build thread!!!

Appreciate that man! Other peoples interest definitely keeps me motivated.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member

That would be several thousand more expensive and 100hp less than my weakest engine combo I'm currently looking at lol.

Coyote swaps are becoming a dime a dozen these days. Really want to keep this one factory looking which is why I am going 8.2" deck height and t5.

The top two engine combinations are both 363's.

#1 - Less power down low, lower peak torque number, spins above 7k rpm, makes huge peak HP numbers.
Build time - 6 months.

#2 - Makes higher peak Tq numbers, produces big tq numbers early on and for a longer duration, spins to 6500, lower peak HP numbers. Build time 6-8 weeks.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I vote terminator swap, but I know you don't want to go that way. I would say go with option 2 and if you need more power have a 200 shot ready to go.

chao5.0

Established Member
I'd go with number 2 for a street driven car, for something more track oriented then I'd lean towards the higher rpm less low end because it will live in the mid to high rpms. with the foxbody being so light though compared to a GT500 I think you can afford to lose a little low end for more mid range.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I vote terminator swap, but I know you don't want to go that way. I would say go with option 2 and if you need more power have a 200 shot ready to go.

Maybe 200 on the first stage.....

I'd go with number 2 for a street driven car, for something more track oriented then I'd lean towards the higher rpm less low end because it will live in the mid to high rpms. with the foxbody being so light though compared to a GT500 I think you can afford to lose a little low end for more mid range.

Well, #2 is an engine built for the street application and #1 is a drag engine so yeah you're spot on.

My weight will help me but when I cruise around with guys like "2011 gtcs" I can't afford to lose anything anywhere!

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
One more small victory today. I finally got the dash all the way out of the car.

IMG_3971_zpsva7y2gbp by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I will get to tearing out the rest of the interior and removing what I can in order to put it on a diet. I will end up bypassing the factory stereo amp and tearing that out. I will put an aftermarket deck and speakers in the car.

Last edited:

scottL

Established Member
Nice! That transmission is tiny compared to my tko. Looks like you changed your mind & went with an RXT clutch, good move.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Nice! That transmission is tiny compared to my tko. Looks like you changed your mind & went with an RXT clutch, good move.

Just a baby T5 is all it is. Nice and Light. The RXT is just the packaging, I did go with the RST. Like I said after a long conversation with the guys there it wasnt worth the extra money for the RXT for my use of the car. The engine is about 3.5-4 weeks from being done so im starting to get excited.

scottL

Established Member
Thought I saw you post a picture of that RST out of the box a while back.
I remember waiting on the machine shop for my motor to arrive, the weeks seemed like months!

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Glade to hear you picked a engine to go with Tony. What are they building you?

Here is the rundown.

363. (option 2 from above)

Dart Block 4 bolt main
Forged Crank 3.470 (internal balance)
Forged H Beam Rods
Forged & Coated pistons
Custom ground roller cam
Melling oil pump
Scorpion race series 1.6 rockers
AFR 195's 58CC chamber, competition ported
Edelbrock performer RPM air gap intake (this is what is keeping my torque numbers big through out the rpms and limiting my peak HP numbers)
Moroso 7qt pan
MSD 6AL box
MSD Blaster coil
MSD distributer
Quick Fuel 650 carb (no choke)
Upgraded head gaskets to take LOTS of Nitrous
Aluminum flywheel
Dougs customer stainless ceramic coated headers.

Best part..... 3 year, unlimited mile warranty on the engine!

This is literally a turn key engine, from oilpan to carb, from water pump to flywheel. People look at the price of the build and think im crazy but I literally dont have to spend any extra money on accessories such as dist, msd boxes, headers, etc etc etc.

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Here is the rundown.

363. (option 2 from above)

Dart Block 4 bolt main
Forged Crank 3.470 (internal balance)
Forged H Beam Rods
Forged & Coated pistons
Custom ground roller cam
Melling oil pump
Scorpion race series 1.6 rockers
AFR 195's 58CC chamber, competition ported
Edelbrock performer RPM air gap intake (this is what is keeping my torque numbers big through out the rpms and limiting my peak HP numbers)
Moroso 7qt pan
MSD 6AL box
MSD Blaster coil
MSD distributer
Quick Fuel 650 carb (no choke)
Upgraded head gaskets to take LOTS of Nitrous
Aluminum flywheel
Dougs customer stainless ceramic coated headers.

This is literally a turn key engine, from oilpan to carb, from water pump to flywheel. People look at the price of the build and think im crazy but I literally dont have to spend any extra money on accessories such as dist, msd boxes, headers, etc etc etc.

That's awesome man, sounds like a killer setup. I'm sure the car will be a monster.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
That's awesome man, sounds like a killer setup. I'm sure the car will be a monster.

Thanks Steve. I am really hoping to finish it for FFF16.

I have my Dad flying into town in a week or so and he will stay through Thanksgiving with me so we will get a lot of this hammered out. My goal is to have the bay smoothed, painted, engine dropped in by the time he leaves.

Oh yeah, I just ordered my Maximum Motorsports Torque Arm too. I regretted leaving one piece of the suspension out so I did it right.

Users who are viewing this thread