1985 GT build thread.

MG01GT

Established Member
I spy a Sport Bike Track Gear sticker on the tool box;) Love those guys. Great build though man... easily one of the cleanest foxes I have seen!!!

chao5.0

Established Member
sounds like you have it al coming together, I just picked up y new toy/project, a 1996 Mystic Cobra that is in need of some serious TLC and its going to get it. Although I am still debating the MM max grip and Griggs suspension setups.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I spy a Sport Bike Track Gear sticker on the tool box;) Love those guys. Great build though man... easily one of the cleanest foxes I have seen!!!

Ha! Good eye. In order to fund this build I ended up selling my track bike, 2010 Daytona 675. I just wouldnt have had the time or money for the track, on average I was spending around 1k a month in track fees, tires, gas, etc etc. So instead of keeping the bike in the garage unused I decided to sell it.

I will get back into racing when I finish the car.

But thanks for the kind words man, I dont regret starting with a clean car to begin with.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
sounds like you have it al coming together, I just picked up y new toy/project, a 1996 Mystic Cobra that is in need of some serious TLC and its going to get it. Although I am still debating the MM max grip and Griggs suspension setups.

Nice pickup man. I have always loved the Mystic Cobras. I want to own one some day, just have a special place in my heart.

I would say MM max grip. They are great to deal with, great customer service, affordable prices.

polock4life

Established Member
Here is the rundown.

363. (option 2 from above)

Dart Block 4 bolt main
Forged Crank 3.470 (internal balance)
Forged H Beam Rods
Forged & Coated pistons
Custom ground roller cam
Melling oil pump
Scorpion race series 1.6 rockers
AFR 195's 58CC chamber, competition ported
Edelbrock performer RPM air gap intake (this is what is keeping my torque numbers big through out the rpms and limiting my peak HP numbers)
Moroso 7qt pan
MSD 6AL box
MSD Blaster coil
MSD distributer
Quick Fuel 650 carb (no choke)
Upgraded head gaskets to take LOTS of Nitrous
Aluminum flywheel
Dougs customer stainless ceramic coated headers.

Best part..... 3 year, unlimited mile warranty on the engine!

This is literally a turn key engine, from oilpan to carb, from water pump to flywheel. People look at the price of the build and think im crazy but I literally dont have to spend any extra money on accessories such as dist, msd boxes, headers, etc etc etc.

That is awesome. Who ended up doing the total build? It's going to be nice to literally drop it in the car.

chao5.0

Established Member
Nice pickup man. I have always loved the Mystic Cobras. I want to own one some day, just have a special place in my heart.

I would say MM max grip. They are great to deal with, great customer service, affordable prices.

but when its all said and done with the suspension and relocating everything its only a $1700 difference because I am opting for the DA Koni's from MM. I have time to decide though, first step is having the entire car repainted beginning next year and I'm squaring away all parts I need to get before then such as lights, mirrors, and a second hood (heat extractor).

MG01GT

Established Member
Ha! Good eye. In order to fund this build I ended up selling my track bike, 2010 Daytona 675. I just wouldnt have had the time or money for the track, on average I was spending around 1k a month in track fees, tires, gas, etc etc. So instead of keeping the bike in the garage unused I decided to sell it.

I will get back into racing when I finish the car.

But thanks for the kind words man, I dont regret starting with a clean car to begin with.

Oh I feel you man... I sold my S1000RR right before I deployed for much the same reason... that and I didnt fancy wadding up a bike like that at the track. I had a chance to go to the Yamaha Champion Riders School for the Marine Corps safety division and fell in love the R6..... so yeah I bought one... so much for mod money lol. That 675 is a great machine though..... youll get the itch agian soon enough! Cant wait to see this car all finished up, it will be worth it for sure!

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Oh I feel you man... I sold my S1000RR right before I deployed for much the same reason... that and I didnt fancy wadding up a bike like that at the track. I had a chance to go to the Yamaha Champion Riders School for the Marine Corps safety division and fell in love the R6..... so yeah I bought one... so much for mod money lol. That 675 is a great machine though..... youll get the itch agian soon enough! Cant wait to see this car all finished up, it will be worth it for sure!

I always look for salvage title bikes to track. I feel much better crashing one of those. I too attended YCRS and it was amazing!

I cannot get away from the 675, I had a gsxr600 track bike but couldnt get into it really, sold it and now will be looking for a 675R to get back on the track with once the car is done.

MG01GT

Established Member
I always look for salvage title bikes to track. I feel much better crashing one of those. I too attended YCRS and it was amazing!

I cannot get away from the 675, I had a gsxr600 track bike but couldnt get into it really, sold it and now will be looking for a 675R to get back on the track with once the car is done.

Nick and his crew really are amazing.... really helped improve my riding by a long shot... especially with the supposed elusive trail braking, when he broke it down I was like holy crap why the hell havent I been doing this lol.

I rode a 675R and loved it. I was surprised at how very nimble but very predictable it was. I had rode a Duc 1199 and even as narrow as that thing was I was not too inspired to ride it hard but the 675 is amazing.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Last edited:

scottL

Established Member
I kind of kicked myself in the ass for not buying a torque arm.
You and me both. & coincidentally Chocolate Santa just delivered mine this morning! Extreme LCA's too
IMG_8305.JPG

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
That MM Tq arm is nice, that is probably the next best thing for a mustang besides a IRS.

I hear its a huge improvement, im excited to get it installed.

You and me both. & coincidentally Chocolate Santa just delivered mine this morning! Extreme LCA's too
View attachment 52816

HAHAHA, you and I think too much alike man.

Progress is going to start moving quicker now that I have my Dad here staying with me for a couple months.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
So after doing some grinding on the engine bay to remove some paint it dawned on me, no way am I doing this for the whole bay. So I decided to glass blast the bay. This meant that I needed to make the car mobile again. So I built this.

56C72ACE-EF6A-42E7-B85F-9E227C64ED09_zpsotmlbmqi by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
021B34BF-1DD9-4648-AE33-A5C6DEDC2E86_zps3pe1ys6b by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
E1D67AFC-E646-43C0-B876-7C9819DA7CA7_zpsgr7uwipv by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
17E6C234-1F03-47A9-8117-E26EDD587989_zpsfgnubpwh by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
94FC63A1-A4B7-46AE-82B6-9BA5984336CA_zpsd7ajrpvn by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
10DDAABF-E665-4B34-8D61-29625BDAD9F3_zpsexejbyki by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
103B2D84-F250-46D5-8CFC-47BED1703821_zpso0xcfvyz by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
F9D2112C-FC64-47B6-9AA7-41852FB3CD0C_zpso705m2lm by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

This weekend the scott rod panels should be welded in.

Last edited:

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Slowly making progress on the car. Getting ready for the Glass blaster to come on Saturday morning. I have been prepping the car for that.

6190DF78-F484-475D-B30E-A9368725BDD8_zpsugcpqeqs by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
798308C0-F1B3-4F7D-B278-CDE5B9FEB8B1_zpsn89drjzp by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
902676EB-08C7-4B8E-97B0-46BBEDBFD0B9_zpsj7sbrz79 by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
5DEA5984-8915-429F-AA8A-171F2F725411_zpseavllscv by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

And finally for the best part. Yesterday I got the update that my engine is being assembled this week and will be ready for the dyno on Monday.

B9795F7F-40F8-4AF2-9EA7-5CBDE6B21970_zpsupoigdyu by |SK Photography|, on Flickr CD82AF5C-9089-4A81-B625-1175A1783BD5_zpss5nq9ssr by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread