1985 GT build thread.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Little update. I have been slacking on taking pics so I apologize.

Here is where we started
IMG_3644_zpsejlmwgxo by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Then this happened.

IMG_3653_zps6dyah70o by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Eingine was out

IMG_3767_zpskfaunvtf by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Little bit of spillage

IMG_3652_zpshfqwy9nl by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Eingine and trans coming apart.

IMG_3655_zpsiig71gvs by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

World class T5, this sold in a few hours.

IMG_3672_zpspl36a8ad by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Ready to go for the new owner.

IMG_3683_zpsp7q7ljtp by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
IMG_3684_zpsh6fmazm7 by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I put the K member back in and mocked up the front end. I am measuring for backspacing. The 96 cobras are 17x8 and have 5.74" BS. This is without rotors.

IMG_3772_zpsrr6awt2e by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
IMG_3773_zpsvlgtxvwf by |SK Photography|, on Flickr IMG_3774_zps5jatghbx by |SK Photography|, on Flickr IMG_3775_zpszkmfalih by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I am thinking that this looks like an almost perfect BS.

This is after I put the rotors on so I will end up adding on the thickness of the rotor to the backspacing to get them to fit like they did without the rotor.

I then began to remove everything from the engine bay. I just decided to shave the engine bay and do a full wire tuck and will be doing a brake line tuck as well.

IMG_3778_zpsbx5sgnpr by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Labeling all the wires so I know what can go and what has to stay.

IMG_3779_zpsvnhuwa47 by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
IMG_3780_zpsmadmmrq8 by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Just for the hell of it here is a pic of my new daily driver loaded up before it was delivered to me.

IMG_3725_zpsaw9p4dog by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Anyhow I will be removing the fenders and nose piece this weekend so I can get to stripping all this paint and start welding in body panels which should be exciting since I haven't welded in many years. Once I get all the filler in I will call my painter over to have him sign off on everything to make sure we are ready for paint.

Last edited:

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Let the aeronose swap begin!!!!!!!!

IMG_3781_zpsgbt4qwse by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Just kidding. Tonight I ended up getting the nose section off

IMG_3782_zpscbdsioko by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Then came off the fenders.

IMG_3783_zpsj2zeq57k by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
IMG_3784_zpsqmf2yfwu by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Simplicity of the carb setup will allow for me to get rid of so much unnecessary stuff under here. Such as this vac block here, when I took off all the emissions stuff all the lines leading into this block were plugged.

IMG_3785_zpshbntjyp5 by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Guest bedroom in my house is now a storage for car parts.

IMG_3786_zps4w5x5dba by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
IMG_3787_zpsladwlfdz by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

This week I should receive the Scott rod panels for the engine bay, I will start to take apart all of my wiring harnesses and rerouting them all behind the fenders. I also need to run wire from the hatch up front to relocate the battery. I will also be removing wiring that I don't need such as the low coolant sensor, low wiper fluid sensor, low oil sensor, emissions related wiring etc.

Any wire tuckers and bay shavers have any helpful tips or tricks?

Last edited:

MFE

Established Member
FWIW a Mach 1 chin spoiler bolts right onto your fascia with only two minor cuts in the spoiler so it'll follow the fender angles of the foxbody, and looks killer when it's done.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
FWIW a Mach 1 chin spoiler bolts right onto your fascia with only two minor cuts in the spoiler so it'll follow the fender angles of the foxbody, and looks killer when it's done.

I had a chin spoiler left over from my old Mach and I thought about doing this however I would need to drill into the front facia to fasten it and I dont want to do that :/. I agree though they do look really good! I might try something a little different up front with the existing mounting holes that are there already.

scottL

Established Member
Let the aeronose swap begin!!!!!!!!
You got me here. I was thinking WTF, Is he smoking crack?! Ha ha.

If you're still looking for tips on the wire tuck I'm happy to send photos of mine.

P.S. Still got your old mach 1 chin spoiler laying around?

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Small update. Still waiting on the Scott Rod panels :bored:

So I decided to start fitting the 93 cobra brake booster... I have heard mixed reviews if it would fit or not and the verdict is in, it won't!

I removed the driver seat in order to give me more room and comfort getting the nuts off the back of the booster.

IMG_3810_zpscje9tcwd by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I didn't get a pic but I took a BFH to the tower and it wasn't cutting it... I ended up taking the cutoff wheel to the strut tower.

IMG_3854_zpseshklt1c by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Before anyone says that was dumb, there was no other choice. If I would have kept going with the hammer it would have cleared eventually however I wanted even more clearance because when I go to install it the last time I didn't want to be scratching paint.

Now that is out of the way I began on the wire tuck.... I am getting rid of all of the unnecessary wiring. All of the smog stuff that was removed years ago, I will cut out all those wires. All of the random stuff such as the washer fluid level sensor will be removed too.

This will be my home for many many hours to come.
IMG_3875_zpsf94wvncz by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
IMG_3876_zpsxnnshptk by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
IMG_3877_zpsrfjoe1gn by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I am buttoning up last minute details with my engine builder and the build should begin next week. They will be doing a video of the build which I will update. The build is going to be a 370 CI 8.2" deck height Dart block. High HP NA build plus a big shot of Nitrous when I want to hang with the Shelby's. Trans is going to be an Astro A5, upgraded 26 spline input. McLeod RST twin disk clutch.

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Man you are going full potato on this build lol. Can't wait to see it all done

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Fixed it for you lol. Im wondering if it will be done by FFF 2016.... I sure as hell hope so.

Well im wrapping up a few more things with the Shelby, I need to pull that big ass KB off and put in some ID1000s. But after that hit me up if you need help.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Well im wrapping up a few more things with the Shelby, I need to pull that big ass KB off and put in some ID1000s. But after that hit me up if you need help.

Had lunch with Mike today and he told me about it. From what he said it pulls like crazy! I need a ride asap.

I can weld but its not super pretty. You ever do body work? I have been doing my Youtube studying lol.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Had lunch with Mike today and he told me about it. From what he said it pulls like crazy! I need a ride asap.

I can weld but its not super pretty. You ever do body work? I have been doing my Youtube studying lol.

Yeah she runs hard, I pushed a green hellcats shit in yesterday lol. No i personally hate body work lol. But we can give it the old college try

jleews6

Established Member
Looking good man. I had those wheels on my Jalapeno 85 back in 94 when they came out and even today I still think they look killer on them. Your wheels look like the 94 wheels because of the lighter colored inserts.
The wire tuck really makes a huge difference on the early cars.

jleews6

Established Member
Oh yeah love the red 85s. This pic was taken the last time she saw sunlight. Put it in my basement about ten years ago and I think its still down there.:) Still has VR60s on it.
mineandjohnscarandcamon42806029.jpg

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Looking good man. I had those wheels on my Jalapeno 85 back in 94 when they came out and even today I still think they look killer on them. Your wheels look like the 94 wheels because of the lighter colored inserts.
The wire tuck really makes a huge difference on the early cars.

Thanks! They are just rollers for now. I mocked up fitment since they are 8 wide and thats what I plan on going with up front, I just needed to get an accurate BS number. These wheels are pretty beat up, sun damaged and blasted over the years but you could be right.

Im hoping to have the wires tucked in within a week, then comes tucking the brake lines.

Blown 89

Established Member
Loved my old 85. It was my first car. This thread is making me both happy and sad all at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread