1985 GT build thread.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Very nice car, but I do not believe there has not been paint work done on that car.
There is over spray on the strut boot and sway bar link in the one picture, and sorry to say, none of these cars came with an engine bay that had that nice of paint .
I have 2 now , had many more over the years, and I always hated that they seemed to close their eyes and just spray some paint in there.

Usually never has much paint on the strut towers and the paint was always off a shade or two .

Still a really sharp car.

I've done the 94-95 spindle swap, and if keeping the stock K member , you should also use the same year control arms as well .

I noted that the hood had been shot obviously... I failed to mention what you did spot.... The engine bay has been shot as well. Both of those were done when I had the car. The engine came out back in 2000 for some upgrades and at that point I did strip down the undercoating and had the engine bay shot to match the exterior. So you are correct, the overspray came from shooting the engine bay.

With that being said I should correct my statement, The only things that have been reshot are the hood as it is aftermarket and the engine bay. The rest is all factory.

I decided to swap out the K member as well as A arms now instead of waiting on the engine swap. Next on my "to order" list is:

Front coil over kit
Rear coil over kit
MM sport series Shocks and Struts
K member
Reverse offset a arms.
steering rack bushing kit
bumpsteer kit
MM front swaybar
swaybar bushings
swaybar end link kit.
North Racecars 03/04 cobra brake kit
94/95 spindles
93 cobra MC
93 cobra brake booster
Braided brake lines.

I think that rounds off the list. Once that is installed then I will get to measuring for offsets and place my CCW order.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Today I pulled the trigger on the following

North Racecars 03/04 cobra brake and 5 lug swap with braided brake lines.
MM Front coilover - spring rate to be decided when MM contacts me.
MM Rear coilover - spring rate to be decided when MM contacts me.
MM sport series shocks and struts
MM K member
MM reverse offset front control arms - Urethane bushings
MM steering rack solid bushings
MM dumpster kit
MM front swaybar
MM front swaybar bushings
MM swaybar end link kit.

After this I realized that I needed to get the rest of this thing tore apart. I removed the Quad shocks, shocks, drum assembly, took off the rear girdle, removed c clips and removed axles.

I don't have many pics from this update because I think everyone knows what it looks like before... Here is the current state I am at.

Naked rear end.
DSC_2924_zps9mzmh6j8 by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Looks like I will need to take a BFH to the wheel wells.
DSC_2926_zpsf3ah2bmw by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

View of the rear
DSC_2927_zpsyudgngfg by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
DSC_2929_zpsvt8qpbkv by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

My pile of junk is growing!!!! Its really a shame because all of factory brakes were just replaced.
DSC_2930_zpsjxmdrgke by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

All buttoned up for the night.
DSC_2932_zps4ogynum0 by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I need to get to cleaning some of the parts I will be reusing. Its amazing how dirty things get under here with dumps even with super low miles.

DSC_2933_zps0guu0nls by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
DSC_2934_zpstkdl3klx by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I think this weekend will be spent cleaning up under the car and tracking down some spindles.

I was reading up and I might go with 96+ spindles because it will keep the steering rack more parallel with the A arm, at least thats what MM has noted. Anyone else have this experience?

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Great looking car OP!!

I'll never forget the day my buddy showed up at high school with an 85' GT with Ttops....this was 95'...made me fall in love with the 5.0.

In my opinion the 85 was the year the 5.0 really came alive.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Nice looking '85 .... makes me miss mine!! :)

Thanks!

Love that car!

Thank you sir.

Great looking car OP!!

I'll never forget the day my buddy showed up at high school with an 85' GT with Ttops....this was 95'...made me fall in love with the 5.0.

In my opinion the 85 was the year the 5.0 really came alive.

Stops seems to be what everyone is looking for these days as well...

Well, I didn't make a whole lot of progress tonight. I am showing that the 5lug conversion and 04 cobra brake kit is scheduled to show up tomorrow. I ended up ordering 96+ spindles due to the fact that I need to keep my steering arms and A arms parallel. I also ordered a rear shock tower brace this morning since I will be running rear coilovers for additional support.

I removed the front sway bar tonight and ended up needing to cut out the old bushings.

I also loosely installed my MM caster camber plates
IMG_3131_zpsxvxxozxn by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
IMG_3132_zpshmcin1y6 by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

The only issue I had is the bottom plate that holds the studs couldn't rotate outward toward due to the bolt for the strut tower brace on the underside. You can see in the pics below where I had to grind an 1/8th of an inch off the bracket.

IMG_3130_zpskf7fwqsa by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
IMG_3129_zpsynuprhlu by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I will take more pics tomorrow when my brake kit shows up, I'm pretty stoked for that to come so I will be waiting for it patiently lol.

Last edited:

Ackman70

Established Member
Are you aware of the mods required to use the MM K member due to the fact it moves the wheels forward? It's not s bolt in and go scenario.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I was expecting the FedEx guy to come today with some packages for me, I ran some errands and I got an email saying my package was delivered at 3:11pm and the packages were left at my front door... Well I pull into my driveway and don't see anything at all on my doorstep. I call FedEx and opened a case, they tell me the driver is due back at the hub around 6pm. I go and sit on the couch upset. I hear a knock at the door and its my very attractive neighbor, she said that I have some packages at her place, they were far too heavy for her to bring by.

Anyhow, I placed the order with North Racecars on Wednesday and they are here on Saturday. Super fast shipping, great packaging as well. If anyone is looking to do a 5lug/cobra brake swap, order from Richard!

Anyhow here are the goods!
IMG_3140_zpss7xtldmz by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Brand new calipers, blank without the "cobra" on the face.

IMG_3141_zpszrvz4fwx by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
IMG_3142_zps5dqz6x6o by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I have begun taping off the calipers to get them ready for paint.

IMG_3144_zpskxmqmule by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
IMG_3145_zpsvdym9uxb by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
IMG_3146_zpsigqsfcp0 by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Does anyone have any suggestions for caliper paint?

Last edited:

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Been going a little slow lately, just waiting on some more parts to show up.

List of items I am currently waiting on....
Engine support brace
Entire MM suspension
Wheel Studs

This past weekend was spent painting parts.... Now some people won't care for this color combo and others might love it... It will be bright though, thats for sure!

DSC_2935_zpskl6ovxuy by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
DSC_2939_zpszbicurz4 by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I put them on the car to show the contrast between the Jalapeño Red and the bright Yellow.

DSC_2940_zpsqmd7bjnd by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
DSC_2942_zpsurxih5sk by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

How the mess looks at the moment.

DSC_2944_zpsct4m49q0 by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Last edited:

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
Yellow calipers FTW :banana:

Can't wait to see this all done man!

Users who are viewing this thread