1979 Pace Car Baffled

88cutlass

As a 80's Oldsmobile Cutlass guy I purchased a 79 pace car been sitting since 1988. Not knowing much about Mustangs when removing the rear hatch side panels there was what looks like an overflow bottle on the driver side behind the panel. Has wires connected to it etc. I have zero clue what it is. Anyone's input is appreciated.
IMG_20240211_104318834.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
Those didn’t come with a rear wiper on the hatch did it?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Those didn’t come with a rear wiper on the hatch did it?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
That's what I was thinking, but I Zoomed in on the picture in his other thread and didn't see one.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some did come with rear glass wipers. Photo below. I've seen at least one Pace Car with an rear washer/wiper option. Could this have been the washer bottle with rear washer/wiper option?

1918938_3.jpg

88cutlass

This car set since 1988 and know for sure it's never been taken apart so I have no clue what it is and why it's there
Some did come with rear glass wipers. Photo below. I've seen at least one Pace Car with an rear washer/wiper option. Could this have been the washer bottle with rear washer/wiper option?

1918938_3.jpg

I'm wrong, I didn't read the location.

88cutlass

Well it's weird. There is only a few options. The hatch had been changed but looking like an original paint car and know it hasn't been registered since 1988, I doubt if it's ever been torn apart. OR would the factory have stuffed one in the rear quarter thinking it was to be a rear glass wiper blade car??? This is purely guess.

88cutlass

Update on this baffling issue. Next to the hatch weather strip in the rain channel there is a factory hole to where the washer tube and grommet went so one could fill up the washer reservoir. So yes it came equipped with that but the $100,000 question is - was it installed on the assembly line then someone realized it wasn't going to be a rear window wiper car and just left it OR did someone change the hatch? Being not registered since 1988 and the way the paint and decals looks, it sure looks original to me. I guess I'll get a Marti report at some point and that'll tell. What's gonna REALLY suck is if it was a rear wiper car and I have to get one!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread