1969 Camaro Restomod Project Thread

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Thanks man. Hope I can keep updates coming for a little bit. Again bet it slows down when it's blasted and I'm ordering panels etc. Got some quotes today for paint/body and it's looking like between 10-15k to get a nice paint job on it. May consider painting it ourselves and having them hang the panels is all.

Hmmm decisions.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Yea I explained that to the blasting guy on why I was being so particular. Blasting is a good way to ruin a car fast if the place doesn't know what they're doing. I am to the point where I've had tihs car longer than I've NOT had this car (over 1/2 my life). It has high sentimental attachment so I want to be sure it's treated right.

RAWRIGHT

Established Member
The car is going to be awesome when your done Will. I remember racing it down Wadley in my Dad's 73 Mach 1 back when I was 16 or 17 lol. One of these days I'll get around to doing something to my car.

Randy

Blue Blitz

Established Member
The car is going to be awesome when your done Will. I remember racing it down Wadley in my Dad's 73 Mach 1 back when I was 16 or 17 lol. One of these days I'll get around to doing something to my car.

Randy

Awesome man, lots of "Midlanders" showing up in here. I remember running that car as well! Thought the Mach 1 was a little older than that (69-70). Red right?

Lots of racing in this thing happened back in highschool. That was back when cops used to just tell you to "take it easy" and send you on your way!

I hope the car turns out well but we'll see. Today we didn't touch the car, kinda went and played around in the 2010 today :)

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
How can you post updates without pictures?!

1193327566_6Agxn-L.jpg

1193328201_G9imK-L.jpg

1193327764_m3wkr-L.jpg

1193327924_cAem8-L.jpg

Unfortunately, little bit of rust in the rear window rail. Means entire quarter replacement...

1193327003_hHWv6-L.jpg

Hope you guys are doing OK. I finally bought display cases for all those die cast cars and when I got to the Texas DPS car that Kat bought me all those years ago I just about cried. I've got it displayed on the top row of the most visible case and think of you guys everytime I walk by it.

I have the GMP Twister model you gave me years ago on display in my office, sharing a shelf with a white GNX GMP model. :thumbsup:

IMG_0892.jpg

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Back to the original Hugger Orange. It also had a white interior factory, we're tossing around the idea of a modern twist on that. Yes, it was a creamsicle LOL

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Didn't get the car to the blasting place today. Had to remove the exhaust, doors and get it on the trailer still. Got that all finished up today so it'll be dropped off first thing in the morning.

Friend of mine that has built a few of these already said it looks like a pretty solid car to start with. Quarter panels we know need work but pillars/pans/rockers/cowl, all look good. Rear window channel has a little damage but all will be replaced with the new quarter panel. We'll see if we still feel the same after the blast work.

Pics:
1194620374_Z4BiL-XL.jpg

1194623639_2cd2D-XL.jpg

1194625285_Tc8KE-XL.jpg

1194627623_sSfw7-XL.jpg

1194629315_PEuFE-XL.jpg

More pics to come when the paint/bondo is off the car!

William

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Back to the original Hugger Orange. It also had a white interior factory, we're tossing around the idea of a modern twist on that. Yes, it was a creamsicle LOL

If that modern twist consists of some type of houndstooth interior that would be tits!!

Car is coming along nicely. :rockon:

RAWRIGHT

Established Member
Awesome man, lots of "Midlanders" showing up in here. I remember running that car as well! Thought the Mach 1 was a little older than that (69-70). Red right?

Lots of racing in this thing happened back in highschool. That was back when cops used to just tell you to "take it easy" and send you on your way!

I hope the car turns out well but we'll see. Today we didn't touch the car, kinda went and played around in the 2010 today :)

It's a 73 with 72 striping, red with black. I wish it was a 69-70, those are my two favorite years for the mustang.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
If that modern twist consists of some type of houndstooth interior that would be tits!!

White seats with black and white houndstooth and black backs (we're looking at 4th gen Trans Am seats, since they're modern but have an old school removable headrest), black dash, console, carpet, and headliner, and white and black door panels.

images

Blue Blitz

Established Member

Yes it will have a houndstooth type interior. As Kat said, kinda looking for 4th gen firebird seats. Have custom covers made for them in leather w/ houndstooth center. White as she posted with the white/black houndstooth and black backs to the seats. White will be more of the "accent" color on the inside. Still have to decide what to do for door panels. They'll be white/black. Likely custom but definitely "old car feel."

Trying to stay away from making it TOO modern.

It's a 73 with 72 striping, red with black. I wish it was a 69-70, those are my two favorite years for the mustang.

Ah got ya. Agreed 69-70 are my favorite years as well. Maybe that can be next!

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Looking forward to pics of it "naked". Hopefully there won't be any surprises.

Yea lets hope no surprises. Car is at the blasting company now. There is 1 car ahead of it to be blasted (Boss 302 car).

He said car will be bare, by late tomorrow - Thursday. I'll get more pics then and will see about getting it etch primed. Hoping for a pleasant surprise when I see it but not getting my hopes too high.

William

Blue Blitz

Established Member
So while the camaro was away I started looking at more improvements to the garage. Sorry for the messy pics and plan to get better pics. Started to clean up camaro stuff and it got dark and it hit me...Garage needs more light!!!

Before:
1202216556_XJK3P-L.jpg

1202216643_Z5eSs-L.jpg

As you can see it was dark at best with the 2 incandescent bulbs. I have 2 drop lights and some halogens on a stand (cheapies from Northern Tool). Not NEARLY enough light for a working space for the car hobby!

The lights to be installed:
1202217037_BgeLq-L.jpg

1202218375_3h599-L.jpg

Lights are 1ft x 4ft fluorescent recessed fixtures each with 2 - T8 6500k bulbs. I picked up 9 of these lights, 3 for each car bay! Ended up spending quite a bit of cash on lighting and got to learn a lot about working with sheetrock and mounting for these guys. I think the results however are well worth the hassle (2 solid days in the garage hanging lights).

After:
1202223338_2N3mp-L.jpg

1202223551_mrPQg-L.jpg

1202218403_swYmx-L.jpg

1202220053_vgBar-L.jpg

More pics to come when the garage is cleaned up a little more. It's VERY bright inside the garage. Back row of lights are on a separate switch so when it's daytime and the garage is open and the lights are blocked, they can be turned off. Front lights are far enough forward to light up the work bench and under the hood of the cars. Roof will be painted eventually, just not high on the priority.

Users who are viewing this thread