1969 Camaro Restomod Project Thread

Blue Blitz

Established Member
I will say I wouldn't recommend this level (cost) build to anyone without an excessive amount of spare cash. There were a lot of better things I could have got for the same input.

Thinking about it I could have had 3-4 pretty nice old cars. Or just a new z06 and an acr.

Oh well. This is more unique!

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I will say I wouldn't recommend this level (cost) build to anyone without an excessive amount of spare cash. There were a lot of better things I could have got for the same input.

Thinking about it I could have had 3-4 pretty nice old cars. Or just a new z06 and an acr.

Good Lawd! ...I hear ya buddy. However, it's why we play the game! ...anybody can buy and ACR and a Z06.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member

You're going to have a very nice, unique car that doesn't require as much upkeep, which will be rewarding. I wouldn't disagree with you though. I have about 20k total, including the price of the car into my '69 bird. I wish it was quite a bit nicer, but at that point I probably would buy something new as well.

I'm glad to see you're making some serious progress towards completion on this!

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Good Lawd! ...I hear ya buddy. However, it's why we play the game! ...anybody can buy and ACR and a Z06.

That is exactly right. I can guarantee no one around has a car exactly like mine. Anyone can buy a new car and mod it. This takes time/patience (7 years of it and counting so far...)

p.s. I want to check out that Pantera at some point.

You're going to have a very nice, unique car that doesn't require as much upkeep, which will be rewarding. I wouldn't disagree with you though. I have about 20k total, including the price of the car into my '69 bird. I wish it was quite a bit nicer, but at that point I probably would buy something new as well.

I'm glad to see you're making some serious progress towards completion on this!

Thanks guys. Yea i started this build with a 20-30k budget and blew that VERY early with all the paint/body/metal work that was required. That was it went from ridiculous to just absurd in cost...I can bet this will get more attention than a Z06/ACR however, and out run them as well :)

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
That is exactly right. I can guarantee no one around has a car exactly like mine. Anyone can buy a new car and mod it. This takes time/patience (7 years of it and counting so far...)

Thanks guys. Yea i started this build with a 20-30k budget and blew that VERY early with all the paint/body/metal work that was required. That was it went from ridiculous to just absurd in cost...I can bet this will get more attention than a Z06/ACR however, and out run them as well :)

I've had my car for over 16 years and was fortunate enough to have the body and paint done at a time when prices for decent work weren't stratospheric. I couldn't duplicate my car now for the same amount of money I have in it. It would take every bit of $40,000+ at this time.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
I've had my car for over 16 years and was fortunate enough to have the body and paint done at a time when prices for decent work weren't stratospheric. I couldn't duplicate my car now for the same amount of money I have in it. It would take every bit of $40,000+ at this time.

Yea my price doesn't include the car. I was lucky enough to get the car 19 years ago. Been through a few iterations. I have $8k in a shit paint job (not including metal work or any gapping). I have a price now to get the car redone, and it'll be good quality (friend has his done by same person) and it's a $12k quote...Just cant justify that right now. Maybe in a couple years after I recover a bit.

Glad you got in while you could cheap!

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member

I think the patience piece cannot be said enough. Between wiring frustration and part fitment, it definitely tested my temper.

I'm sure you'll be hitting up some cars/coffee events soon, so I'll definitely meet you out there. If you get that sucker out soon, let me know! I try to drive mine on a daily basis.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
The goal is to get the car to Street Car Takeover in November. I believe the weekend following that is a private track rental that I am trying to attend. Car should be there regardless. I'm trying to get it in a condition to make a couple passes and get some tune information.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Got the hood on and the car out of the garage. Took it for a drive and contemplating dropping the spring in the waste gate...It's a bit fast to learn in for being "on gates."

Attachments

• Front Driver.jpg
    Front Driver.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 253
  • Rear passenger.jpg
    Rear passenger.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 233

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Thanks man. May make it out to C&C this weekend...If so i'll definitely be beside it, it has no side glass...

Depends on the weather for sure also. Looks like it might rain.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
I can't see most of the pictures. :(

Yea some reason Imgur doesn't like svtp so they cancelled hosting here. I have posted links to other sites. Just can't go rehost all the pics. If anything specific you wanna see let me know. Have thousands of pictures of the build so far.

Now that we can attach images it'll be easier to keep this thread updated.

crazycarlo

Established Member
I went through all 68 pages earlier at work. You have an awesome ride. Congrats and you have some patience.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Car has been through a few names.

Might as Well for when I was buying stuff just for the hell of it.

Patient Zero. As it was the original car for this obsession and has the work patient in it which applies a couple different ways.

And the girlfriend has dubbed it "ginger: the other woman" or the "hot redhead"

Patience has been a huge part of this. Several things I would do over or change and will change for the next revision. All part of the build process i guess

Blue Blitz

Established Member
IMG_1043.JPG
Well it successfully made its maiden voyage. Put about 30mi on the car yesterday and plan to put more today.

Few minor issues identified. They will be resolved soon.

Jefe

Established Member
Whats sticking out of the hood on the chase car?

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Whats sticking out of the hood on the chase car?

Holley Hi-Ram on a 5.3. That chase car is a volvo 240 wagon, 5.3 and a big turbo. Makes enough power to run a 10.5@137 so far, with more to be had on the first half of the track (as suggested by the MPH!)

Users who are viewing this thread